iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Arch

Started by John S, December 22, 2017, 04:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

A friend has a 30". 16ft. hickory log, which we figure weighs in at about 5000lbs.  He wants me to mill it into slabs so I am wondering if any one in our area (NJ, NY, PA tri-state) has an arch that could move it.  I figure a LogRite T-36 would do it.  Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Kbeitz

My arch would move it but I can't take the arch on the highway .
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

John,

Sorry I can't help but I was wondering - Do you need the log arch to transport the log or just to move it into position? Are you going to saw it at his sit or bring it back to your home site to saw?

If just moving it on site to reposition it to  get it to the mill or the mill to it are there other options such as using a skid steer or tractor? Could you make some rollers out of post size logs or pipes or such to roll it around? We used to move big granite slabs with just rollers and a wide board for a track. Three normally will do it. I use snatch blocks and cables a lot to move logs around in the woods usually with my ATV or sometimes with my little tractor for bigger stuff. I have used my truck at client sites to help get the logs where we could saw them.

How are you going to load it on the mill and move the slabs? I sawed a hickory log about that size but only 12' long and we cut 2" slabs about 22" wide and we slid them off on to the forks of a skid steer as too heavy to lift. The ones you are discussing will be even bigger and heavier.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

John S

We just need to move it on his hillside farm. Will try your roller suggestion. Thanks!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: John S on December 23, 2017, 08:19:46 AM
We just need to move it on his hillside farm. Will try your roller suggestion. Thanks!
Or just get a few buddies and a half dozen Logrite mega-cant hooks... ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!