iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suburban sawyer

Started by John357, November 27, 2014, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John357

Hello,

Received the HM126 two weeks ago, brand new from the factory.  Took a few days to assemble, but am ready to go now.

I am a woodworker initially, bought the mill to process neighbor's trees (all my trees are cut for firewood) rather than see them carted away.  I'm looking to saw up the best quality boards from any logs I can get.  Log handling is a 4x4 and a winch and an 8 foot trailer. 

John

Woodland Mills HM126

thecfarm

John357,welcome to the forum and the world of sawing!!! 
You can post pictures of some of the stuff you built
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John357

Woodland Mills HM126

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, John357
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Welcome to the Forum John your going to need some more things a logrite peeve to turn the logs and if thy are big 

I cheat some
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

kelLOGg

Hey, John. I'm in Durham, actually Chatham Co. Whereabouts are you in Raleigh? Welcome to the FF.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fat olde elf

Welcome John !!  Always glad to see another NC sawyer.... I'm 30 miles east of Charlotte and and proud to be acquainted with Bob Kellog and many others here in NC.  This Forum is your best source for info and expertise.  Glad you are here .....
Paul R.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, John357.  Sounds like you have a plan so continue to share your sawing and woodworking experiences here. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John357

Thanks for the welcome.  I do have a 5ft. cant hook for turning and loading. 

I have a few logs waiting this morning, my first try at loading the trailer with the winch.  I just don't have the space for a tractor/lift and can't justify the expense.   That's why I settled on a manual saw, on the ground.  It seemed to me to be a huge leap to go with a portable mill (on a trailer) because I would need a truck, larger saw (w/ hydralics  ;D) and then a loader. 

Like I said, I'm trying small scale suburban cutting for now.  I know I may have to refuse some larger logs.  I'll let you know how it goes.

John

and thnx for the NC welcome!  I'm near Falls Lake in Raleigh, large lots and many trees.
Woodland Mills HM126

drobertson

It looks to me like you have it going just fine,  those smaller mills on the ground look perfect for what you have in mind.  Next step is to get us some photos to see some of the action! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

John357

Well, I have proven the concept with the first log!  I was able to winch the log up onto the trailer without a problem.  Now I need to fab some blocks to keep the trailer at the correct angle, and some blocks to lift the front end of the log so it won't get hung up on the trailer. 

I'll download some pics later tonight.

John

Woodland Mills HM126

Slingshot

Or you could put a rig like this on your trailer...

Have fun with your new mill.
__________________________________-----
Charles,   sling_shot

John357

I'll try to get a better pic of loading a log tomorrow. 

For now, here's the mill,

and another,

Let's see if they uploaded properly ...

John

Woodland Mills HM126

John357

Great!  once I had a small log on the mill, I trimmedit up on four sides.  I found the cut was not straight.  It was only a little larger than this cant, so that may have something to do with it.  Of course, maybe the blade wasn't tight enough.  Anyone seen this before? 

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

John

Woodland Mills HM126

Allen S

Welcome John357 you will like that mill I have one just like it. How long is your bed on yours?

John357

Hi Allen,

The total length is 18 ft., but the cutting assembly (what do we call that?) takes up about 3 feet. 

For anyone else, the mill ships with 2 sections of 6 ft. each, so out of the box I can mill about 9 ft. log.  I bought an extra 6 ft. (and got another 6 ft. for half price, which is still in the box in the shed) so I won't be squeezed on either end.   I've seen some pics where an operator has the extra track run into a wood shed with a closing door so he can store the head assembly out of the weather.  That's what I had in mind and hope to do eventually.

John
Woodland Mills HM126

slider

Welcome  John nice mill you have there .Can't wait to see what you do with your wood.Oh and by the way when you get that part about turning down the ones that are too big to mess with figured out let me know how you did it.al
al glenn

dboyt

Welcome to the forum, John, and congratulations on the mill.  You'll get more consistent on your cuts with experience.  Some species, like post oak, are very hard to cut straight.  Blade tension could be the culprit, but don't just keeping cranking it tighter thinking that you'll fix a crooked cut.  Cutting speed-- either too fast or too slow-- can cause wavy boards.  Knots can be a problem.  Check your blade guides to make sure they're parallel to the track.  And when you saw into a log stop or clamp, just put on a fresh blade and keep on sawing.

As Slider says, it is easy to SAY you'll turn down big logs.  But when you get a nice 40" walnut log, you'll find a way to mill it.  I've quartered many a log with a chain saw to get it on my mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: dboyt on November 29, 2014, 09:54:57 AM
when you saw into a log stop or clamp, Lower the log stop then, just put on a fresh blade and keep on sawing.

;D you would not be the first to miss that step ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

John357

Well these neighborhood trees just about did me in today.  I got 4 beautiful, straight logs, and a fifth at the top with some branches 15 inches at the base, all cut to about 9 feet.  But getting them on/off the trailer was murder.  I may have satisifed my desire to mill every tree around! 

thanks for the encouragement Dboyt.  I'd like to get a little more precise before attempting these beauties. 

I think they're maple.  Is there anything unique to sawing maple I should know?  Does it benefit from Qsaw or rift sawing like oak?

John

Woodland Mills HM126

RayMO

They kinda look like hickory but hard to tell in picture.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

SLT44

I'm curious as to what size winch you are using to pull the logs on your trailer and if you have pointers on that process.  I have a good two axle trailer, but I'm in the same situation of not wanting to invest in some sort of loader to move logs a dozen miles to my mill--which is just like yours.  Many thanks for any tips you and others can give me.

John357

Hi SLT44,

Mine is a 8000 lb. Smittybilt winch (XRC 8000) with stainless steel line, mounted in the front of the jeep.  I have to position the trailer and then turn the jeep around to use the winch.

In order to pull the logs onto the trailer, I am able to tip the end of the trailer way down, and have to also raise the front of the logs so they will clear the trailer.  Then I winch the logs up.  They slide easily up the deck.  It's tricky to know when to stop, if I have another log to load, as the trailer will fall to level once the log is fully on (I'm pulling 8 ft. logs on an 8 ft. trailer). 

I have been simply hooking the winch hook onto the line itself, but plan on getting some skidding tongs for ease of use, and because the winch line is rubbing on the trailer.   Someone suggested using rollers under the logs on the deck; I have some round hand railing I'll use next time. 

Unloading is almost a bigger challenge.  I could reverse the process and winch the logs off the trailer, but that's too much work.   First time I just levered the logs off the end at least halfway (pushing against the side rail) so the logs tipped off but were still hanging on (trailer didn't tip at it was still attached at the hitch), and then driving off quickly!  Not really a good practice, but it was getting late.  For this load, I will place the rollers under the logs before taking off, hopefully the impacts won't be as bad as the first time. 

I spent all morning researching A frames and gantry hoists for unloading.  Saw some pretty good videos, of hoists that probably would work, but the frame will be in the way after I move the trailer and lower the log.  Still thinking about that. 

Hope that gives you some ideas, would love to hear of your approach.

John
Woodland Mills HM126

Magicman

Quote from: John357 on November 30, 2014, 06:13:37 PMI have been simply hooking the winch hook onto the line itself, but plan on getting some skidding tongs for ease of use
Or at least get a short chain and put a "cable" hook on one end to use as a choker.  No need to damage/fray your winch line.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John357

Great idea Magicman, thanks. 

Thinking about skidding tongs, they clamp as they are pulled, right?  And lifting tongs are more heavy-duty than skidding tongs?  Only thing I know is lifting tongs are more expensive than the skidding tongs.

John

Woodland Mills HM126

terrifictimbersllc

Someone more knowledgable will surely weigh in, but I'm pretty sure "lifting" means individual testing and tagging for overhead lifting over humans, or in other words they're individually tested to be safe at a given weight.  This makes them more expensive.  Not necessarily more heavy duty but each proven to perform at its rating.

Testing or not, safety is much increased if one stays out of under, or above not below a log, and out of the line of pull of a chain or especially, a cable.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

Some one post sawyerbrowns DanG loader here I don't know how too its a good loader he has there
goose

pineywoods

John, put a trailer hitch ball on the front of your jeep. Then build a simple version of the Dang Fla_deadheader loader on the back of your trailer. Simple, cheap, and works well. As a safety precaution, block up the rear of the trailer so the weight of the log doesn't jump the hitch off the ball. I use home-made tongs to grab the log.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

I believe you have some fine hickory there in the last pic post. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

John357

Really?!  That would be great.  It has almost bright white wood, can't differentiate any sapwood at the edge, nor in the middle.  Small limbs from the top are grey with smooth bark, is why I thought maple.

Anything to remember when milling hickory?  Would it benefit from Q-saw?

John
Woodland Mills HM126

John357

More thoughts on unloading, I'm going to investigate building a simple lever that I can move next to the trailer with logs.  I can then lever the logs back about a foot and support those ends on the ground.  Then I only need to lift half the weight of the log, and then only about a foot higher than the deck, so to drive the trailer away. 

Simple lever would be about 4 feet high at the fulcrum, 6 feet long over the bed, and say, 12 feet on the other end.  Using the weight calculator, 14 inch log 9 feet long (hickory) weighs about 600 lbs.  To lift 300 lbs with mechanical advantage of 2x equals 150 lbs. 

Now to determine the composition of the arm  ;D

John
Woodland Mills HM126

Joe Hillmann

To make loading and unloading easier you could put two 4x4" across the bed of your trailer one about two feet from each end(they are just to keep the logs off the deck so you can get a chain/cable under them) and also a set of ramps then you can parbuckle them onto and off the side of the trailer.

With logs that size you could almost parbuckle them by hand.

Here is a link to parbuckleing
https://www.google.com/search?q=parbuckle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

For rolling cants that are too large to do by hand this is what I do.

In the diagram I left out the mill bunks but keep in mind the log is sitting on the mill and not floating in mid air like it looks in the picture.  Also the larger the log the farther you have to tip the top of the bar out from the log to keep the weight off the backstops as much as you can.

John357

Hi Joe,

Good set up there.  I saw that in some of the mills that I considered buying, a hand cranked winch attached to the side of the mill.  One criticism I heard was that it sometimes was difficult to keep the log rolling evenly up the ramp.  I'm glad it works for you, I'll keep it in mind once I finally have to get a log on the mill.  I'm assuming I'll be able to roll up some ramps with a cant hook.

John

Woodland Mills HM126

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: John357 on December 01, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
Hi Joe,

Good set up there.  I saw that in some of the mills that I considered buying, a hand cranked winch attached to the side of the mill.  One criticism I heard was that it sometimes was difficult to keep the log rolling evenly up the ramp.  I'm glad it works for you, I'll keep it in mind once I finally have to get a log on the mill.  I'm assuming I'll be able to roll up some ramps with a cant hook.

John

The diagram that I posted was to roll a can't once it is on the mill.  It would be already sitting on the bunks of the mill and the right side of the log would be tight against the dogs of the mill. The piece of pipe would be removed when cutting and would only be there for rolling the cant.

Using a cant hook to roll a log up a ramps probably isn't the safest way to do it.  You say your mill is right on the ground so your ramps probably aren't that steep but if you slip or the cant hook slips there is no way for you to get out of the way before the log has run you over. 

If you have a hard time with the logs wanting to go up the ramp crooked when parbuckeling using a winch you can either use another cable or chain to make a v or once it starts going crooked use a cant hook to roll the end that is going to fast back down.  When doing this you want to stand on the uphill side of the log.  In fact you never want to stand on the down hill side of a log on ramps.  If something slips or lets go it would knock you down before you know what has happened.

backwoods sawyer

Two thing you never want to be down hill from.
A log you are rolling and a bear in a tree ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

John357

the unloading was a success.  It took a little adjustment of the rig, but once the supports were reinforced and the pivot was secure, I was able to unload by myself.

Once the trailer was out of the way I just lowered the log to the ground, then kicked it over off the support.

John
Woodland Mills HM126

beenthere

Interesting.
Wonder why not just try chaining a log on the trailer to that SUV/Van and pulling the log off onto the ground?

Much less rigging IMO. They slid onto the trailer, and should slide off just as easy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

I use me little tractor to drag of my trailer all the time a lot less monkeying around
goose

5quarter

John...that's a clever solution. You could also run a long chain or cable from one of those large trees to where ever you want to unload your logs. Then just chain them up and drive out from underneath them
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

John357

I am trying to reduce the amount of abuse the trailer has to take, but yea, now that you mention it, maybe a little too much engineering  :laugh:

If I had a big gorilla of a tractor, I wouldn't need so many monkeys!

John
Woodland Mills HM126

goose63

John my tractor aint that big 30 horse power 4x4 it will lift 1000 lbs

its handy to use around the mill and yard makes for a lot less work
goose

SLT44

John:  A really useful string--good set of options for loading and unloading to think about.  I'll let you know if I come up with anything interesting when I get to those bur oak logs in March.  Went ahead and picked up a 9500 lb. winch to use on and off the trailer.  Good luck working up those logs.  May there be many more.  Terry (SLT44)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Where there is a will....there is a way, Goose.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

John357

Well before attacking those nice logs I had to find a place to set the boards.  I added another drying shelter behind the shed, just like the first, and made room for the stack. 

finally got around to the first log, which was near the top of the tree and had a few branches, but a real log this time, not a large branch. 

Near this point is where I finally broke the first blade.  It had been used for all the knotty branches and practice logs, and yes, even ran into a log dog!  Doh, didn't notice it at first and thought it was metal as I was into a crotch.  Anyway, learned to replace a blade and get the tracking correct.  Then to finish the log. 

Hard to see but there are several ~3 and 5 inch boards there, trying to hit 7/8 inches. 

John
Woodland Mills HM126

goose63

Looks like your getting the hang of things. the log dog thing well I have hit mine 3 times 
goose

GAB

Quote from: goose63 on December 23, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
Looks like your getting the hang of things. the log dog thing well I have hit mine 3 times

So like me you hit the log stop three times - Congratulations and welcome to the slow learners club.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Nice job, your getting the wood cut and that's all that counts. 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!