iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Larch, how do you clean your blades?

Started by Satamax, August 16, 2017, 07:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i'm cutting mostly larch. Larch and larch again.  ;D

How do you clean your blades prior to sharpening?

My blades are 4inch wide. Make a hoop 13/14ft long 4ft wide.

And i have absolutely no clue on how to clean those.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ox

Before you take the blade off, tie a sponge to a stick, dip in diesel and rub on the blade while it's running.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Satamax

I'm cuting with aulde diesel already. Doesn't do zilch!

Thanks a lot for the reply anyway!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

brad918

I've been cutting larch and also have found buildup on my bands. I'm using pine-sol, dawn soap and water mix but still have buildup on my blades. I was just about to change blades but thought I'd cut a fresh hemlock before swapping blades. Not sure if it was beginners luck but it completely cleaned the pitch right off the blade. Finished sawing the hemlock and put on a new blade.
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Satamax

The problem is, i have barely anything but larch to cut here. But i know the trick. Running an ash log after the larch, and i would be fine.

Thanks a lot guys!

Ga Mtn Man

I use a wire cup brush on my 4.5" angle grinder with the blade flat on a steel surface, but my blades are only 1-ΒΌ" x 158".
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

BalticSeaSawyer

I use water for larch and i mainly cut larch. If there is to much buildup on the blades i put it under water and after some time its easily brushed away.

VanWild

I believe larch pitch is water soluble.  One of the few that are

Satamax

Guys, thanks a lot for your replies.

But we musn't be cutting the same larch.

I've left a board with some sap on it, in hot water all morning. To no effect!

Satamax

Quote from: BalticSeaSawyer on August 17, 2017, 12:54:50 PM
I use water for larch and i mainly cut larch. If there is to much buildup on the blades i put it under water and after some time its easily brushed away.

I'll still try it for lubrication. With Washing up liquid.

What kind of saw do you have?

BalticSeaSawyer

I have a LT40 with 1 1/2" blades. While cutting i use normal water for lubrication. What i learned is that the sawmill adjustment has to be very accurate. Then the diameter of the log is somehow critical of course. I prefer logs around 40 to 50 cm for the stuff i cut.

Satamax

Easier for you than for me, to stuff blades in water!

I would need a pond! :D

Thank You Sponsors!