iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Friction feed circular mills

Started by bandmiller2, February 18, 2013, 09:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

The two most popular feed systems for handset mills are the Heacock [all belts] and the friction feed that uses a fiber type small flat pulley held agenst a larger cast flat pulley.With so many old circular mills being brought back its worth repeating, repairing the small fiber pulley.If a mill has sat out in the weather theirs a good chance the friction pulley has rotted away.Mine was in poor shape and worn down.I had a section of old rubberized cotton belting,cut about 20 pieces a little larger than the diameter needed,clamped them with the bolts and turned to size on a lathe.I don't see why leather wouldn't work.I have read Masonite board can be used but I've never tried it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

STUMPKICKER

Frank, on the old friction that we used to have on the old Oxford it too had leather belts &  masonite as well. & I also remember the odd piece of brass thrown in as well. It also required settin' up occasionally as it wore over time. Ya had to make sure ya didn't set it up TOO much...'less the skeeters got too bad.   ;D 8) 8)

Sprucegum

My friction drive had part of at tractor tire screwed on to it, the center rib of a front tire off a small tractor. It slipped when wet or frosty - I just threw some dirt at it and it smartened up.  :)

Goodndusty

I've been using my friction drive (belt sandwiched) for a number of years now and some are needing replacement.  I have come to the point that the mill has to go through a rebuild again this summer and seeing that I have a lot of trouble with the friction drive I was thinking of using a hydraulic motor to turn the cable drum and forget about the friction drive.  Was wondering if this would work?  I guess a small gear on the motor driving the drum.  Have to have a motor that turns slow enough at full speed so the carriage doesn't get launched into the bull pen. :D
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

reride82

Quote from: Goodndusty on February 19, 2013, 12:29:41 PM
I've been using my friction drive (belt sandwiched) for a number of years now and some are needing replacement.  I have come to the point that the mill has to go through a rebuild again this summer and seeing that I have a lot of trouble with the friction drive I was thinking of using a hydraulic motor to turn the cable drum and forget about the friction drive.  Was wondering if this would work?  I guess a small gear on the motor driving the drum.  Have to have a motor that turns slow enough at full speed so the carriage doesn't get launched into the bull pen. :D

That is what I use on my Belsaw, A hydraulic motor with a small sprocket that drives the big sprocket on the drum. I added a flow control valve as it was feeding to fast into the cut, but I could still speed up on the return.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Sprucegum

I have also switched to hydraulic drive. Once I got used to the lever it gives me better control of the feed rate than the friction drive did.

captain_crunch

My belsaw also is hyd driven off remote hyds on tractor powering mill. best feature is beibg able to run carrage without blade turning for checking knees to blade distance and saw cant take carrage away from you when sawing. However not as fast as belt set up
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Goodndusty

That's good to hear boys.  I had converted the carriage to hydraulics on the previous build and it has proven to be a success.  Of course I have to deal with the overhead hydraulic hoses but on the whole has worked very well.
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

Thank You Sponsors!