iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fajitas!

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, September 27, 2012, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I just finished making this Discada for use on my BGE and felt fajitas would be the best first meal to make on it.

Here is the discada, some leftover chicken seasoned with lime juice, chorizo sausage and bacon, there must be bacon! The veggie portion is chopped red, green and poblano (green chilli) peppers, onion and garlic. I didn't have any cilantro. 

The chicken was all ready done so I cooked the sausage and bacon first.

Moved them up to the edges and dropped the veggies in the juices collected in the bottom.

This turned out to be a really smokey way of cooking because I set up the egg with too much charcoal and without thinking I put in chunks of hickory which wanted to light off making the grill a bit too hot. Basically I would open the lid, let the smoke clear, take a picture, stir things around and close the lid.  :D

I love grilling, I always come away with that great smokey smell in my cloths.
Jon

When they were almost done I added the chicken and mixed it all together.

These were out of a package but heating them up on the grill with the little leftover bits of stuff on the pan made them very very tasty indeed!

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Riggs

Looks good, I really like the horse shoes on the discada. Nice touch.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

drobertson

Hey SW!  That looks just amazing!  what an idea, showing the wife now,  we do fajitas often, and now, thanks to you, we have a new recipe,  thanks again,  just amazing, love the wood cooked food, deer camp coming in a few weeks,  well,  I have something new to bring to camp,  love it,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Not sure why I said SW, I meant WS, deslesic, most likely,  anyway can I ask what you made the dish from?  It is more shallow than a typical wok?   thanks
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Abort last transmission,  now everyone knows I am a dummy!  read on down and found you other post,  sorry about clogging the threads,  good idea,  I had a rough day at a friends mill today, think I will check on the chickens and hit the hay,   

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Jon,

Next time that you come to see me you will be required to do the cooking  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Danny,  i would be honored.

TimRB

A discada that fits *inside* a grill--now THAT's a good idea!

Some fajitas would be good right now...

Tim

WDH

In this case, "some" = "a whack"  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Just made the hillbillly wok,  last night,  thanks for the idea! all thats' left is the seasoning in and the first test run, pics are coming, need batteries for the camera,   

Weekend_Sawyer

Well Mr Robertson? How did they come out?

We just made them again and they were very tasty. Fajitas with a nice smoky flavor :)

drobertson

Well deer camp is this thursday, and the guys are ready for a pile of fajitas!  this is the one I put together, thanks for the Idea, It has blackened off better, it just needs some real time campfire time,  thanks again, pics coming sunday evening,   david

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice. I found that mine works best with less charcoal than i would normally use for grilling or smoking.

drobertson

you bet, I was thinking this today, slow cooking, not real slow, but slower cooking is always a good thing, more time to enjoy the company.  thanks again.

WDH

David,

That is a nice looking contraption!  Maybe the horseshoes will bring you good luck in cooking  ;D.

drobertson

Thanks, It will be fun to get this thing going.  Weather is supposed to be near perfect too. 

TimRB

Excellent--I was wondering when the pictures would be coming out...  :D

One of these days I would like to try a traditional discada recipe:

http://visualrecipes.com/recipe-details/recipe_id/299/discada---how-to-feed-30-people-with-$40/

It seems to be one of those things you don't want to tell your doctor about.  On the other hand, it's probably easily detectable by blood test for weeks.

Tim

drobertson

I always thought this is why we added onions to the recipe!   and maybe some garlic?  just saying,   david

drobertson

first run on the descada, worked like a champ at camp , 

And I have to show the one that is still somewhere around camp, alive, of course, next time, 

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice! And a nice buck too!!!!

WDH

David,

Those horseshoes did bring luck  :D. 

drobertson

you bet, we always, as most folks do, eat good, the hunting was a bit slow, just so warm still, good times with old friends,

Thank You Sponsors!