Sponsors:

Dirt bike logging?

Started by Hilltop366, May 12, 2024, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Hilltop366

Bigger logs?  More bikes.

Old Greenhorn

Wow, and I thought I worked hard getting my logs out!
 And before anybody suggests it, "NO", I am not going to try to apply this to mushroom logging. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

WOW is right.
If you don't know how to tie a knot, tie a lot!!!  :wacky: 
That's a hard days work!!!!!
You don't want a slacker in that bunch!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Who knew that Yamaha built a forwarder?  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Easier on the trucks if you make contact🤷
Too many irons in the fire

B.C.C. Lapp

Why?  If they have logs to log, if the logs have value, then why don't they have logging equipment like loggers in other countries do? 

Yes I understand they may not have the means.  I get that they are doing the most they can with what they DO have.   But what are they doing wrong, and obviously HAVE been doing wrong for some time, that they have no better way to log?
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

teakwood

Perfect logging, chainsaw guy in flip flops and shorts smoking a cigarette , who needs a  felling cut, lol.  If you bike stops at a incline just aim for the higher side of the trail to lay on!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

Quote from: barbender on May 13, 2024, 01:14:24 AMEasier on the trucks if you make contact🤷
Man I left that alone, but you sure came in fast with it!!   ffcheesy
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Self depreciating humor is sometimes a defensive mechanism😂
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 12, 2024, 06:48:10 PMAnd before anybody suggests it, "NO", I am not going to try to apply this to mushroom logging. ffcheesy
I'd be lying if I said "the thought never crossed my mind".  ffcheesy

WhitePineJunky

Mopads and dirt bikes are the uni tool over there lol, have you seen how many people they fit on one motorcycle? They make as busses too 😆

Old Greenhorn

I'd be lying if I said "the thought never crossed my mind".  ffcheesy
Yes, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I could see that coming with my eyes closed. ffcheesy
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

I loved it because it is doing it with what you have to do it with.

I hope that they don't run out of rope and I love what thecfarm said:

"If you don't know how to tie a knot, tie a lot!!!"
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Lynn, you are spot on. I laughed hard at Cfarms comment because it brought back a flood of memories covering many decades, from that of a young Scout trying to learn all the knots, and then trying to learn to tie them all in timed events and competing with an old Scoutmaster who was REALLY good at it and I could rarely beat, up through all the firefighting classes and disciplines I had to learn and master for low angle rescue, firefighter rescue, and swiftwater rescue. This last, we had a senior instructor who could tie just about all the needed knots one handed after hundreds of hors of practice, He was really good and he taught us some amazing rigging setups. Some were very complex with a bunch of hardware, but some were just rope and nothing else and produced a heck of a lot of force (we pulled over a telephone pole we were using for an anchor once, by accident, with no pulleys, just human power).  My first class with that instructor was when he dubbed me the 'knot fairy' and had me teaching the folks that were slower to pick it up. (At one point he offered me a teaching job). Yeah, that guy would not buy the "Tie a lot" method. 10 seconds to tie a knot correctly was a bit too long for him.
 What impresses me is an aborist who can tie a knot in a line that gets about 5.000 pounds of load on it, but then unties really easy when cleaning up. I still have some figure eights on a bight I have not been able to untie after 5 years. I call them 'rope features'. :wink_2:

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodroe

I'll admit to trying logging with a snowmobile  ffcheesy 
. Use what ya got and if that don't work upgrade.
Those dirt bike loggers are resourceful I'll give em that.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Dom

I admired their skidder trails,those are next level up!
:thumbsup:
Definitely can do attitude. 

Magicman

The tire chains weren't bad.  :uhoh:   :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

It's similar to the old IH tractors with the T/A (Torque Assist) when he gets the push to get going.  ffcheesy
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!