iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling dogs for MS 462

Started by medved, March 18, 2019, 05:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medved

Hey all,

I've had my 462 for about a week and what a stellar saw so far. The dog it came with is puny though for my needs and I'm trying to replace it with bump spikes/felling dogs. Looking in the computer at my dealer we were able to find the single replacement spike for the normal location, but couldn't find a part number for just the spike that attaches to the clutch casing.

Instead what it seemed like is that you have to order an entire upgraded clutch casing for a fair bit more than I hoped to pay.

I'm wondering if anyone might have insight into this or be able to find a part number for just the outer spike if it's available at all.

Many thanks!
B.

realzed

I know that the 461 model had an 'R' version which is the wrap handle model and it came with much bigger double spikes - the 661 also did.
I'm wondering if the 462 has a similar 'R' version as well - if so they may fit a regular model or possibly the same kit for the 461 or 661 would as well.
Worth a try as I'm sure any good dealer should be able to easily look up both spiked versions and tell if they would transfer over to the 462.. they do appear like they would fit from pictures I've seen.
Check out:
STIHL Chainsaws for Sale in HOUSTON, TX 77093
to view what I mean..

tacks Y

I asked for the double spikes for mine. I think they were 15 each. I can try to get a # from the dealer, may not be there for a few.

medved

Quote from: tacks Y on March 18, 2019, 08:40:57 PM
I asked for the double spikes for mine. I think they were 15 each. I can try to get a # from the dealer, may not be there for a few.
I was able to get the part number for the replacement one but we couldn't find the other part number in the diagram. Would really appreciate it if you were able to find them for me, right now I'm sitting with just the one large spike  :)

Gary Davis

I got some for a 460 on amazon

medved

Quote from: Gary Davis on March 18, 2019, 09:07:07 PM
I got some for a 460 on amazon
I haven't seen any yet for a 462 since it's so new (literally just released last week here on the West Coast). Not sure if 460/461 dogs would fit?

Ed

Once you get both felling dogs, add the roller chain catcher.

Ed

medved

Quote from: Ed on March 18, 2019, 10:15:40 PM

Ed
I hear these come on the wrap version. I wasn't thinking when I picked the saw up and should have just picked up the R. Already have had some need for it so I'm going to convert to wrap handle after getting the dogs, and will make sure this is on the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

B.

teakwood

Just buy a pair of dogs on amazon or ebay. i'm positive that they will fit. they about 20$
READ RULES EBAY LINKS NOT ALLOWED

I bought these for my 066 and they're well made
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

medved

Quote from: teakwood on March 19, 2019, 07:30:14 AM
Just buy a pair of dogs on amazon or ebay. i'm positive that they will fit. they about 20$
READ RULES EBAY LINKS NOT ALLOWED

I bought these for my 066 and they're well made
Awesome! I was hoping it was this simple...I'll give this a try since it's so cheap. Thanks my friend.

tacks Y

Stopped at the saw shop this am. He tried to look them up but I think he had a brain fart. I will call this after noon and see if he found the numbers.

tacks Y

Called him back Inter # 1122 664 0506, Outer 1122 664 0509 He claimed he had to grind the outer a little to get it to fit. No big deal he said.  Hope this helps.

medved

Quote from: tacks Y on March 19, 2019, 02:06:39 PM
Called him back Inter # 1122 664 0506, Outer 1122 664 0509 He claimed he had to grind the outer a little to get it to fit. No big deal he said.  Hope this helps.
The outer I got is 1122 664 0501 which is I believe an update to 1122 664 0509 and fits the new clutch cover.
I ended up just ordering the larger clutch cover which came with the outer already.

Firewoodjoe

I just looked at a 462. I was impressed. How are they for low end torque? Like if you get a little pinch or sawdust bound up. And why the larger clutch cover?

medved

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on April 02, 2019, 03:40:00 PM
I just looked at a 462. I was impressed. How are they for low end torque? Like if you get a little pinch or sawdust bound up. And why the larger clutch cover?
I would call low end torque decent. Not as much as a 461. Mine's not totally broken in yet so maybe it'll open up.
I'm moving to a wrap handle so clutch cover is for more hand protection with the wrap. Also is thicker for better chip movement I suppose.

Firewoodjoe

I see. Seems like all the new stuff is lake g low end. You have to keep these huskys spinning. Maybe I'll still go with a 390. The 13 pounds is amazing and tempting.

lxskllr

Reading around, it looks like the general trend with all makers is higher rpms without the low end torque. Dunno if it's merely a philosophy issue, or if it helps with stuff like weight and/or emissions.

medved

I bought a new Toyota Tacoma a few years ago, they switched from a 4.0L engine with great low end torque to a new 3.5L engine that has all the power way up high in the RPMs.

It seems like engines in general are going that way for efficiency reasons, but the functionality edge always tends to be the compromise.

Firewoodjoe

pgk1

I picked up a 462 a few weeks back too, Iv'e only been able to run a couple of tanks thru it so far. Its the first new chain saw I've bought in nearly 30 years, previous saw was or is a PM605 58CC with a 20" bar and it has great low end and a strong midrange hit, I was kind of surprised the first time I used the 462, not much down low but when in it's powerband which is a lot higher up than the ole Mcculloch it Rips. Just took a little getting used to, so far I love it!! So, do you need to get the wider clutch cover to add the outer Dogs? Doesn't look like there is much room for a bolt head in between the bar/chain and the cover?

Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

medved

Quote from: pgk1 on April 10, 2019, 09:49:19 AM
I picked up a 462 a few weeks back too, Iv'e only been able to run a couple of tanks thru it so far. Its the first new chain saw I've bought in nearly 30 years, previous saw was or is a PM605 58CC with a 20" bar and it has great low end and a strong midrange hit, I was kind of surprised the first time I used the 462, not much down low but when in it's powerband which is a lot higher up than the ole Mcculloch it Rips. Just took a little getting used to, so far I love it!! So, do you need to get the wider clutch cover to add the outer Dogs? Doesn't look like there is much room for a bolt head in between the bar/chain and the cover?

Pete
No I believe 1122 664 0501 is the part number for the updated outer and will fit the regular cover.

pgk1

Thank you, I'll give it go. 

Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

medved

Cool, post some pics when you get it :)

nastorino

nastorino

Quote from: medved on April 02, 2019, 02:27:01 PM
Quote from: tacks Y on March 19, 2019, 02:06:39 PM
Called him back Inter # 1122 664 0506, Outer 1122 664 0509 He claimed he had to grind the outer a little to get it to fit. No big deal he said.  Hope this helps.
The outer I got is 1122 664 0501 which is I believe an update to 1122 664 0509 and fits the new clutch cover.
I ended up just ordering the larger clutch cover which came with the outer already.

Quote from: Ed on March 18, 2019, 10:15:40 PM

Ed

What is the benefit of the larger clutch cover? From the factory they don't come with a roller chain guide? I was thinking about adding the outer dog that matches the inside one, but didn't plan on adding anything else.

Thank You Sponsors!