iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Von Ruden hydraulic chain saw

Started by grizguy67, September 18, 2016, 11:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizguy67

Several years ago I started buying parts and pieces for a firewood processor. I am finally taking the time to put it together.  I purchased a Von Ruden hydraulic chain saw from e bay years ago. It is old.. 1950 - 1960 ?  I do not know much about hydraulic motors. It is a gear motor.  The hydraulics from that time were much lower pressure than now. I am looking for information as to how much pressure and G P M  I can push through it without to blowing up in my face.  I saw a post from Oliver 1655 said he had 2. I can not find him here now. I have hooked it up to my skid steer. Ran it full out without a chain hooked up. Seams to run slow.

Canadiana

My guess is high torque low speed and designed for a unique chain. Sounds fun. Is this a bit of a dated type of sawmill?? A few pictures on a post like this will keep the info flowing!
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

grizguy67

My concern is the older hydraulics were much lower pressure than current pressures.  I have a pump that will push over 30 GPM at 3400PSI. I do not want to have this hydraulic motor blow up in my face!  It is a gear motor. they are lower speed and high torque. The chain is a 3/4pitch.  Pretty big chain.  Now I am calling around to try to find one locally.  I am not sure how to measure to order one on line.

armechanic

I have this same saw with the pump that mounts on a tractor pto and oil tank & hoses. According to the manual, At pto speed (540 rpm) normal sprocket speed is 1000 to 1200 rpm. I am not to sure this will work very well. I have two bars & chains. One is 6' . It is Oregon #8 chain.  Good luck.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!