iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Long Do We Allow This to Continue?

Started by Gary_C, May 01, 2011, 04:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I think it was back in 1998 that Minnesota led the nation with a major lawsuit won against the tobacco companies. And I have just heard that the most difficult part of this lawsuit was the discovery of documents in the tobacco companies files that recognized the health hazards of tobacco and nicotine. When the special master appointed by the judge finally ruled in favor of discovery, the requested papers were delivered in seven semi trailerloads.

So now today, the state has allocated some of that money from the settlement to be used for ongoing tobacco cessation ads, and since I have been watching mostly Twin Cities TV stations this winter, I am seeing most of these ads and programs. And they are pretty hard hitting and I believe effective in reducing the smoking rates in Minnesota.

First of all, the programs and ads do not blame smokers for this problem. In fact the nicotine researcher from the Mayo Clinic emphasizes that the tobacco companies know their product very well and are able to manipulate the contents of cigarettes to keep people addicted to their products. And further he states that cigarettes are THE most effective drug delivery system that has ever been developed. When a smoker inhales, the nicotine is almost instantly delivered to the brain. It's far faster than even IV'ing any drug.

As this researcher points out, the tobacco companies are selling a product that in some way will kill about 60 per cent of it's customers. And that leads to his question of "how long will we allow this to continue?"

Some more numbers. Last year, in just Minnesota, the tobacco companies spent just under $200 million advertising their products and the question is raised of what we gave them in return? The answer is 5000 dead bodies!

And in the USA, the number of tobacco related deaths is equivalent to filling three Boeing 747's full of people every day and crashing those three planes into the ground, killing all aboard. That's three 747's per day for every day of the year. Just think, if three 747's crashed every day, how long would this country allow 747's to continue flying?

Something to think about and I just thought everyone should hear what we in Minnesota are hearing, thanks to the tobacco settlements.

And if you want to see one of the programs, here is the link:

Tobacco Addiction: The Unfiltered Truth
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Here all tobaco advertising has been banned from all media no instore ads either , just no advertising period.All cigarette packages are not visible to the eye in stores they are all behind the cashier counter. Must be eiteen and be able to prove it to buy them, it has helped in the number of new addics from the younger crowd.
It is a method that don't cost us any but has a direct effect in that what the kids can't see they don't "need" . Another thing that was put in place was that on every pack of cigarettes threy had to put a pic of what its effect on people was ... ever see a pic of a lung after years of smoking, or a tooth and gum with nicotine and cancer ... very not good to look at  :-X :o  Just a little reminder for you each time you took the pack out of your pocket or purse, it worked for me, after while it did register that it was really not good to be smoking ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

anne929

Quote from: thecfarm on May 01, 2011, 07:19:56 AM
BIG money in tobacco.
I couldn't agree with you more. Overall All States' Average (STATE CIGARETTE EXCISE TAX RATES) is $1.45 per pack of cigarette. With NY ranking first with $4.35.  :(

SwampDonkey

Around here if your a heavy smoker, and unless your wages are pretty big, there isn't much left to buy groceries.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

With all of the lawsuits and taxes on cigarettes, you would think that the manufactuers would be out of business.  My understanding is that their profits are largely made overseas now.  So, in a sense, we are exporting our health problems.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DanG

Thanks a lot, Gary! :D  All this thread did for me was to make me go outside and smoke a cigarette.  Like all government meddling, the negative tobacco ads just make it more difficult to quit.  If they want to use that money to advantage, they should subsidize nicotine patches with it instead of helping the tobacco companies advertise.  You see, it is the mention of smoking that triggers the desire.  The constant reminders provided by the stop smoking ads are just as much of a trigger as the Marlboro Man was.  That is the secret the tobacco company knows and the psychologists don't.  The negative ads are the invention of do-gooders who haven't been there, haven't done that, and haven't a clue.  The tobacco companies are giggling up their sleeves about it. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Quote from: DanG on May 09, 2011, 11:39:56 AM
Thanks a lot, Gary! :D  All this thread did for me was to make me go outside and smoke a cigarette.  Like all government meddling, the negative tobacco ads just make it more difficult to quit.  If they want to use that money to advantage, they should subsidize nicotine patches with it instead of helping the tobacco companies advertise. 

Sorry about that Dan. I did think about you when I wrote this piece. And to answer your question, I believe they are doing just that, at least here in Minnesota. I think they have free or nearly free clinics on quitting.

I did see where your governor was here in Minnesota recently looking at our good healthcare system so maybe there is hope for Florida yet.  :D

If that don't work, you can always come here and run a forwarder. We only have small pests like ticks and deer flies and I can sure get you into a smoking program.  I just gave up Diet Coke so I can sympathise pretty well.  And I still drink a few canned beverages.   :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!