iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

save on cost of diesel

Started by etat, August 19, 2004, 12:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Dom

Some cities are now starting to used vegetable oil to power up there bus. Its not really cheap when you consider you have to filter the oil and there are not many people who offer the service. You also need to put heaters so it won't turn solid. Needless to say, its alot less harmful to the environment. I found a Rottne harverster that was setup for vegetable oil, I'll try to find it.

Furby

Yep, better for the environment!

I'm thinking this guy's getting a "tad" bit of a mark up on his kit though. What do ya say, 50 - 75 bucks worth of parts in that pic??? It wouldn't take a brain surgeon to put that together.  ;)

DanG, wish I'd thought of that!  :-/    

DanG

Well, I didn't go to E-bay to look, but I assume it was something about using french fry grease in a diesel engine. I understand that Mr. Diesel's original concept for his engine was to run it on veggie oil.  
There are other non-petroleum alternatives out there for internal combustion engines that brighten the prospects for the "Post-petroleum" world, so I ain't gonna worry about it. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

That sounds like you would have to get a lot of burger out fits set in a row and get their oil.   :'(  With the french fry issue an dieting and all their might be a shortage in the material. :-/  It almost sounds like one of those things that is too good to be true, kind of thing. :P  This fella is practically in my own back yard. (about 45 miles away)  I wonder swhat shipping would be for me. :D
Frank Pender

etat

I just thought it was odd that anyone would even consider putting oil in a high dollar diesel. ???  I was thinking it'd be hard on the injectors.  But if ya'll think it'd work than maybe we could take the next step. :)  How about someone setting up a still and taking some of that corn yall was talking about and cooking up some high octain homebrew.  Strictly to replace the gas in  car engines of course! :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

Yup! Corn squeezin's is tha hot ticket. Ya can run tha ol Chebby on it, and be happy while yer doin' it! 8) 8)

You can cook it down into alkyhawl and burn that in a gas engine, or you can squeeze the oil out and burn that in yer diesel truck or tractor. You can also burn it in a furnace under a pot of water and use the steam for power, or filter it through the family milk cow and tap the "methane resource" at the other end to run the farm's generator. ;D

It seems that Ahab the Arab, the Sheik of the Burnin' Sand, can get $45 a barrel for that smelly mess that he taps from the center of our planet, but the pore American farmer can't get a living wage for producing the solution to the whole problem!  Corn, like any other plant, produces oxygen, which we could use, and absorbs CO2, which we got too much of. Corn, along with a host of other plants, can provide for all of our energy needs, while cleansing the atmosphere and our water supply, and giving us pretty green fields to look at instead of miles of fallow land infested with weeds.

Energy crunch?  Nah, I think we got a thinkin' crunch!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

boy, i'm glad you're back :) 8) 8)

Fla._Deadheader

If y'all really wanna get serious, look into Sugar Beets. WAY more tons per acre of starch and sugar to convert.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

Gee DanG you made it through that whole litany and never even mentioned grits.  Your slippin' boy.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

The crunch belongs to the Government whose job it is to "stop citizens from doing what they want to do"

The bureaucrats want money as if it were their on, permit equipment, tax operations, discourage production, criminalize effort, and with a mentality of "prohibition" stop many creative efforts that would eleviate catastrophe and produce jobs.

It still boils down to "you can't make alcohol for fuel 'cause somebody might drink it."  If they can make it and drink it then coffers suffer.

Fla._Deadheader

I may have mentioned this before, but, we had a Federal Permit to make alcohol, when we lived in Arkansas. The feds had NO problem issuing the permit. We would have had to have their loick on out tank, so they could "spoil" the juice so it could not be taken internally. I left the permit in the house we sold, so, I have no real proof of this, but, it should be on record.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

Well on the straight veggy oil it does wax up injector and such, but works much better warm and on more simple diesel engines,  :o
the next step is bio-diesel
which is made by using lye, to seperate out the soap ;) from the  waste oil........... then it is every bit as good as any diesel fuel... with the benefit of having plenty of  left over glycerine for other uses.  8)
 One nice bit of trivia is that no permit is needed to personally produce 200 gallons of alchohol annually ...........
since about late 70s.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!