iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water lubrication

Started by crozier, February 08, 2020, 01:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crozier

I have a Woodmizer LT 28. I'm having trouble regulating the lube water. It seems as though I get a pretty good stream of water then back it off the slightest bit, the water stops.  Should I try a different type of valve?

Woodpecker52

Blow out the valve and line with air hose sometimes just funk in the line and valve.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

SawyerTed

The valve on the tank on my LT 35 was plastic.  I replaced it with a brass hose bib. It works way better and has finer adjustment.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SunnyHillFarm

I had the same problem with my LT 27. I use a gas pilot swing valve in the feed line closer to me. I use that to regulate on and off once the main valve is set. This has worked well for me. Getting the plastic valve flow just right is a problem sometimes.

WV Sawmiller

Did you crack/open the air vent on top? If it gets stopped up it will prevent proper water flow too. Just a thought.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

donbj

An idea I had for this was to install a small low current draw water pump in line before the valve so there was always pressure against the valve and wouldn't plug as easily. Just a few pounds would do I'd think (5-10). That way if it did plug, just a quick blip of the valve would clear it and flow would still be regulated with the valve as usual.

Another advantage would the constant pressure. As the water level in the tank goes down so does the pressure(head) in the system. A little pump may solve that problem.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

CCCLLC

One of my mills is the older (1990) WM Lt40 HD. It has the gravity feed water lube tank located on the top of one of the masts. Works well but when I raised it an additional 10" up in height, water pressure also increased, big plus.

millwright

On my lt35 I added another valve beyond the first one. I then use that one to regulate the flow, and use the first one to turn the lube on and off thus not changing the flow amount. 

Magicman

There are many ways to vary the flow; windshield washer pump and a hazard flasher.  smiley_headscratch  smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crozier

My vent is open so it is not pulling a vacuum.  I like the idea of using a hose bib type valve.

caveman

When we had an lt-28, we opened the plastic tank valve to the proper amount of flow for what we were sawing and had another brass valve in line that we would open at the beginning of the cut and close at the end.  Occasionally the screen before the tank valve would need to be cleaned/blown out.  I spent the last 30 minutes looking through my gallery but was unable to find a picture of it. 
Caveman

Steve Carson

I added a second valve also that I could reach from the same side of the mill I operate from. Set the top one to flow how you want it and the second one is just an on off. 

Chuck White

I think I plumed mine just the opposite!

The valve on the water jug opens the flow, and the one right near the control console adjusts "how much flow"!

I also have a solenoid valve mounted under the platform that the fuel, and the water jug sits on!

It's wired to ground, and to the #2 lug on the feed drum-switch!

Water only flows when the sawhead is going forward, when it stops or backs up, the valve shuts the water off!

It's the same valve that's used in the Wood-Mizer Lube Mizer system!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

boonesyard

Quote from: Chuck White on February 11, 2020, 07:38:56 PM
I think I plumed mine just the opposite!

The valve on the water jug opens the flow, and the one right near the control console adjusts "how much flow"!

I also have a solenoid valve mounted under the platform that the fuel, and the water jug sits on!

It's wired to ground, and to the #2 lug on the feed drum-switch!

Water only flows when the sawhead is going forward, when it stops or backs up, the valve shuts the water off!

It's the same valve that's used in the Wood-Mizer Lube Mizer system!
Pictures of your setup would be great if you have some?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Chuck White

I don't have any pics!

I mounted the solenoid valve on the underside of the fuel and water platform, and ran a line from the water jug to the valve, then across to the point where the water drips on the blade, then installed a "fine adjustable" valve in the line near the console!

It's a very basic setup, but it really works well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

boonesyard

Quote from: Chuck White on February 12, 2020, 12:18:01 PM
I don't have any pics!

I mounted the solenoid valve on the underside of the fuel and water platform, and ran a line from the water jug to the valve, then across to the point where the water drips on the blade, then installed a "fine adjustable" valve in the line near the console!

It's a very basic setup, but it really works well!
Sounds like a nice inexpensive solution, thanks.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!