iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

The day went well , not as cold with sun. and the customer did well with the logs

and the wood

They cut the wood at 16' the kiln is 16' 2"  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Nice day today +45 and sun. Got the job done 7000 bf. I have to say the saw dust on a job like this is a pith  :D. The last few log I left the dust I was getting tired with all the 16' lumber  :D
How would you set up a blower  with a small gas engine on it and blow the dust to one side? I'll have to think about it, but if there's some ideas I'm all ears :D

There was some nice pine 14" wide

Tomorrow I'm cutting some red oak.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter.....get what I have.....you saw the pics....I hope.....of the big 5 foot wide conveyor belt I use. I just lay it on the ground along side the mill and all the sawdust blows on it. When it gets heaped up......just pull it off with the tractor to your pile. Whats under the mill....just blow it away with the leaf blower.

Nice pics you posted.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

You would have to change your stacking plan, but if you prop that tube up so it's blowing straight out, you can saw for a long time before it gets in your way. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Very cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jim_Rogers

Peter:

Are you sawing alone or do you have a helper?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Another thought, along the line of the 5 gal bucket hanging on the saw head, would be a bucket (scoop) that would carry the sawdust then trip and dump the sawdust at the end of the cut. Thinking that at least the off-loading area would be free of a buildup of sawdust.

Am wondering how you keep that one high stack of lumber from tipping over and becoming a real pain? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 15, 2014, 05:58:35 PM
Peter:

Jim Rogers

Now don't be trying to put the work on somebody else! :D

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 15, 2014, 06:25:45 PM
Peter:

Jim Rogers

Now don't be trying to put the work on somebody else! :D

if you have a helper, there are lots of time that he is standing there waiting for a piece of slab, or lumber to be carried off. At these times he can dump the bucket hanging from a hook on an elbow:

But it's hard to do that when you're alone and riding on the seat of the mill.

Jim Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I tried to hang it from my Elbow......it don't work.  :D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2014, 06:08:16 PM
Another thought, along the line of the 5 gal bucket hanging on the saw head, would be a bucket (scoop) that would carry the sawdust then trip and dump the sawdust at the end of the cut. Thinking that at least the off-loading area would be free of a buildup of sawdust.

Am wondering how you keep that one high stack of lumber from tipping over and becoming a real pain?

beenthere, I've been thinking of doing something like that. Either a mechanical trip, or I've been trying to figure out if I can add another switch to my wireless remote so I can do it from most anywhere. :D I'm stationary, and would hook up a vacuum hose, but I don't think that will work for 45 feet of travel. I've had plugging issues with wet pine sawdust with only 20 feet of travel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Peter:

Jim Rogers

Just me Jim 2 and 1/2 days sawing time rain for 3  :D :D Jim I did think about the bucket thing, but I think the supper will blow the dust out of the bucket and I get enough in my eyes now. Maybe not, I have not tried it.

Postonlt40, you do have a good set up, but at home all my lumber goes out that end, and on the road I don't have John with me

Beenthere it;s all froze together  :D :D and space was tight. Most times I make more piles

Dave s I have left the thing up If I have help then all the lumber goes out the end of the mill
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Somebody drove a backhoe into your tomato patch  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

mater head   It wasn't me!  :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

backwoods sawyer

One of the nice things about being portable is when the job is done you dig out a path for the tire and pull out.

Hmmm now we got maters staring back at us!!!
Keep the backhoe out of the mater patch!!!
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Did a small job today red oak

I try to cut with the split

0ne of the logs had a spider on the end not good

When you see this, you should cut 2' off the log to see if it cleans up.
The wood was not too bad  :D :D

And a sassy Massey

Then I went to the next job

:D :D :D :D :D all froze in so I had the customer move the logs

on the #3 log was a but so I tell the customer I want to look for steel, he said there no steel in the log  :D :D :D
But my Garret metal Detector said yes there is :D :D :D :D :D :D

See the barbed wire in it in the hole. That tree was like 125 years old and the wire was in the middle of it waiting for me :D :D :D but it did not get my blade  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Nasty, pretty easy to see that one, never no metal they say ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Looks like you had a very nice day.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Went out and looked at this job about a month ago, there is a long clay road that is only used during the summer months that will come down off the mountain make a loop down by the creek where the logs are and no turn around if I came in from the other end which has gravel.
When I arrived the do not enter log had been removed and there were fresh mud tracks coming up out of there, I locked it in four low and eased down the hill. When I reached the first corner the road was all torn up where a four wheel drive had got crossed, my truck wanted to cross up with the mill pushing it, I picked a rut and got it all to straighten out and followed it the rest of the way down the muddy beaver slide.
He had sent his boy up to remove the log so his boy had tried to go up the hill. Then they spent a couple hours getting the truck out of the road. JR has been a Johnny on the spot helper the last couple days.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

I made a bracket to hang a bucket off my sawdust chute this afternoon. As I expected, it filled up too fast. I was making 10"-12" wide cuts on a 12' long white pine log, and I could only get two cuts in one bucket. So, on a 30'+ log, I won't make even one pass on a bucket, especially if it is a much wider cut then 12". The purpose of this experiment was to see how much capacity I would need for one pass on a long log. As I mentioned before, I was thinking of having some sort of dump hopper that I could trip over a vacuum port, but I think I would need at least 15 gallons of capacity to really do what I need on long timbers. Back to the drawing board. It does look like there is a lot of dust flying out of the bucket, but there was almost no dust on the ground. It was effective, but unless you really needed to keep the ground clean, I think your time would be better spent shoveling the dust away with a shovel.

http://youtu.be/tySbzAfTzdo

SAWMILL BUDDY

I tried the bucket trick too. Lasted about 10 min.

Jim_Rogers

The problem with a bigger bucket is when you get down to 1" off the table. The bucket tips as you go down the rail.

What I did was I put the head on the first 4/4 mark, my lowest setting. Then I put the bucket on the ground under the elbow and raised it up just enough so it wouldn't drag and tip. That way the opening of the elbow is above the lip of the bucket. You get more in it before you dump. Make your hook at that height. You hook looks to be too tall.

Now as you are sawing what are you doing?

You have a remote, so you can walk down to where the head is and swap buckets when it is full. You may not get an entire pass in one bucket because of the amount of sawdust coming out. But if you're not doing anything, like stacking boards or carrying off slabs then you have plenty of time to empty the bucket and/or swap a full bucket out and put an empty one in.;

Just be careful when you reach for a bucket that the worse thing that could happen, may happen:

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!