iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

In good logs and set up with good help I consistently get 300BF/hr including all things related to the processing of the logs available. no band sharpening included

This last job was 2 evenings totaling 7 hours with a total production of 2890 BF total for an average 412/hr. (my daily average so far this season is just under 2500BF daily

Used 1 bimetal blade for this job and it is still on the mill.

You don't get cut lists and logs that allow you to do that very often and cutting for maximum yield AND best appearance per log. 3 of the 8'X8"s came out of 10-11 inch small end logs with about 10 % wane max. Taper was less than 2 inches on all 3 of 10' logs these posts came out of. 

The ONLY 1" material was the incidental boards that I needed to trim out to get to the cut list dimensions and there were less than 200 BF of that.  Some times they were a 1/2" off of 2 sides to reduce wane as much as possible.(8"X8"s)

Smallest dimension on this cut list was 2"X7"X9' and the largest was 8"X8"X10'(x4) and 3"X9"X21' and 3"X9"X16' for about 75% of the cut list. This is a job where customer was better with the hourly rate over a BF rate.

2890BF X .35=$1011.00 and his invoice is $700.00 for 7 hours of sawing.

The way I operate this is very often the situation.

Thankyou for the compliment Peter.
On the lights, the placement works well and i am going to change them all out to LEDs to get higher lumens and more flood effect. 

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Chuck White

I usually cut 1,500 - 1,800 bf in a day!

I have one off-bearer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 31, 2017, 06:45:08 PM
My Cat TH460B should be here next week.  8) 8)
I'm happy for you, that's a good machine.  We had one at work, and it was nice. 
Is Big John being put out to pasture? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

New family member, 8) 8) 8)

Has a quick connect on it , Will lift 9000lb and put it 44' in the air,
Bucket and grapple is on the list now.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Nice looking Cat
You will make some high stacks now :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

That will make things easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 07, 2017, 07:38:44 PM
Nice looking Cat
You will make some high stacks now :)

I want to lift the roof off the lumber shed and go up 12 more feet. :D :D :D :D
The 40' addition will have a high roof.

Quote from: thecfarm on September 07, 2017, 08:08:13 PM
That will make things easier.

Yes it will on a 45' log. John will only lift 2500 lb

How are things going with you two?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Things are a going. Brenda is have some issues again. Or should I say still. Pulse is low. Test will be done next week.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Nice!  Looks to me like it's the same IT quick attach mount my hoe uses.  Come winter time you'll be able to have some pretty high snowbanks :D

When you're loading the mill with it will you be able to see the right side or you gonna have to buy some mirrors?
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

Looks good Peter, but you know what they say. You can stack it higher and deeper but your waders are only good to a certain point.  :D

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

Cfarm I hope it will work out for her,

4x4, with a grapple I think I'll be ok.

Darrel, :D :D :D :D :D so true

First thing this morning I'm going to unplug the back up beeper.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter
Been busy milling and selling wood also doing a job in Lebanon for a change.
It reminds me how i don't like traveling for work anymore  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

You want the lumber where?

:D :D

I have to learn all over on how to pile lumber in the barn. Just when I had it all figured out with John.
I almost push out the back wall, and lifted the roof up some.

Even with John I would get wood chips or mud of the forks that would fall on the wood.
I'm always sweeping the lumber off.
Do you guys and girls have the same problem?

Hay Bruno, you say you can sell slabs, then you're a better salesman than me.  :D :D :D :D
I have had this stuff all summer,

2"x20"  5/4x22 some with live edge. At a $1.50 a BF no one wants it.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

longtime lurker

Sand and grit wreak havoc on planer blades during downstream processing for sure. Thats one of the reasons I've stayed away from a pallet based lumber storage system: anything on the underside of a pallet gets ground down into the top layer of the pack below. The dunnaging system we use is a PITA and slower but not so slow as changing out blades on the drymill gear.

I'd like to tell ya that concrete floors alleviate all that but machines track dirt around my floors so much it aint much better then dirt during the wet season anyway... well except that it aint knee deep in mud in there.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

grouch

Will that be high enough to keep the bears out of the bees and bird feeders?
Find something to do that interests you.

78NHTFY

Peter--with that fancy new machine you could go vertical & build your new storage shed at least 4 stories high 8) 8) 8).  Hey, nice to see that you got such a great addition to your operation.....All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

coxy

should air dry quicker up that high  ;D   good luck with your new toy  8)

Peter Drouin

It will lift a lot of lumber. BUT, the higher you go the more [rock] you have. I picked up 5 pallets a lumber and all most dumped them over. Had to set it down and take off the top 2.
So I set them down in front of the door . Then I pick all of them and boom in seams to work. Not drive around with 5. :D :D :D :D
My slab rack was made for John. But, The cat is wider than the rack. With the cat I have to retool some stuff.   ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter Drouin

Getting in and out of the cat can be a pain with the way the step is set up.
See how the steps are under the cab so not to catch things.

My fix.

I won't be driving over logs, so I think I'm ok.  :D :D
I needed a non slip surface, so I put my name in it. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I know exactly what you are talking about, Peter. That will be ten times more convenient.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

longtime lurker

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 10, 2017, 06:09:27 AM
It will lift a lot of lumber. BUT, the higher you go the more [rock] you have. I picked up 5 pallets a lumber and all most dumped them over. Had to set it down and take off the top 2.

There's an OH&S guideline here that says stack height shouldn't be more then 4 times it's width. Seems about right - we take a lot of care to keep them flat and even then the 4th one up is verging on wobbly. Been driving me nuts for years - all these big high roofs and I cant stack that high because I prefer to keep my packs at 30" wide, but the next logical width is 46" and at that width they're a pain for a whole heap of other reasons. ( pressure treatment cylinder is 34" wide so we'd have to restack if we wanted to treat them/ need fork extensions on all the time/ just generally too wide to be easy to stack without walking around the pack all the time)

30" = 3 stickered packs to truck width. 46" = 2 of them. Don't freight a lot of stickered packs but sometimes you might want to and it's just easy to standardize on one width of pack. Making truck loading easy and fast opened up a lot of doors for us with regards the line haul freight boys on the interstate runs.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Peter Drouin

4' wide is the US standard here. Forks are 4' too. I make my pallets 4' deep and whatever wide. 4x4 do you make your packs 4' deep?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

My stickered stacks are 4', but I've been dead stacking at 42". It seems to load on trucks and trailers better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!