iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walking stick

Started by Patty, June 07, 2007, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Try a slower RPM as well. Of course your tools have to be real sharp. I turned cherry 14 " (I think) long, down to 1/2" diameter for my bed spools. And of course those close grained woods your using are easier to turn to small diameter than open grained woods.

I never used the gadget the guys mentioned. Don't know what it is. Learned something new anyway.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quotethat is done after the piece has been turned round
:o  Now I know why my fingers get bruised when I use my hand for a steady rest.
I agree, that trying different turning speeds helps. The spindle will have a natural frequency of vibration and speeds above of below this frequency will help dampen the vibration.

Bob

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

Here is the cane I did for dad. Happy Father's Day to all you guys.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

That should make him smile.  It sure made me smile ;D.  Gifts like that, money can't buy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

The cane looks great. 8)  Any father would be proud to receive  a beauitful gift like that from his child.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

8) 8)

I like that bit of spalt at the bottom.  What are the final dimensions?  Tenon size?  We need details. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Patty

The stick part of the cane is about 35". I used hard maple with just a bit of spalt. I tapered the bottom down to 3/4" to accept the tip I had for it. The top is tapered to about 1" and I made the tenon 1/2" thick only because that was the biggest drill bit I had for the handle. The handle is cherry. I tried to put some contour to it with my sander, but the more I worked on it the worse it got  ::) , so I stopped at the point where you guys see it. The tenon fit in real snug and I glued it with Titebond III. At the top of the tenon I was unsuccessful at a decorative cap, and I did not use a wedge, so instead I mixed some more glue with dye and filled the impression with the mixture. It looked pretty good when it dried up. I was pleasantly suprised.  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

IL Bull

Well done Patty!   8) :o
I made made a walking stick out of osage orange.  This was made as mushroom hunting/walking stick for one of my friends.  After planing a 1.25" square piece of hedge, I used a router and rounded the corners.  Then I cut the handle in with Makita grinder (contrary to popular belief Hedge can be cut with a metal abrasive wheel).  :D After lots of sanding and three coats of poly, I finished with 0000 steel wool.

This is my first photo posting.  I am so happy it worked. 8)

Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Patty

Well congratulations on your first picture post Mr Bull!

I like your walking stick.  8)    Did you carve/turn in the grip area or are the lines painted ?   I like that alot. My next cane will be a straight up walking stick with no handle.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

IL Bull

Quote from: Patty on June 18, 2007, 06:31:47 PM

Did you carve/turn in the grip area or are the lines painted ?   I like that alot. My next cane will be a straight up walking stick with no handle.
That is the part I burned in with the Makita grinder.  I held the grinder in a vice and twisted the stick against the stone.  I laid a 3x3 on the bench to support the stick.  It burned in the grip instead of cutting it.  That is why the lines are dark. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Don_Papenburg

Patty , I just got back to this post .  The maple tenon will be fine . I turned one on a cherry handle that fit into a maple stick .  The cherry snapped off real nice .   That is a nice looking cane you made there .     All of th sticks that I made were with steamed and twisted  shafts.  I made the shafts from oak ,cherry , walnut and catalpa.  I liked the catapla as it was about half the wheight of the other sticks.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

beenthere

"the cherry snapped off real nice"

Don, what happened to cause it to snap off? Pics of the break would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Hmmm.. :-\    I put a cherry handle on that cane. The maple tenon went up through the cherry handle. I kept the cherry about an inch thick.  What caused yours to snap? How much weight were you applying to make it break?
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

turningfool

Don_Papenburg

My handle is actualy a knob.  It is turned  in the shape like a door knob .  I ended up with a tennon with short grain ,  running the wrong way .   Well at the time I was turning the handle it seemed like a good idea. Most of the handles  had a hole that  a tennon from the shaft was fitted into. made for a lot stronger  setup.     
  Oh it broke when someone pulled it outof  the pile to give it a lookover.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!