iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You Can't Fix Stupid

Started by sawguy21, May 03, 2021, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Here is a link to the news story. With pictures !!
B.C. creek fills with foam after laundry powder applied to nearby rooftops to control moss | CBC News

Unfortunately, the "writer" confused the word 'pillows' with the word 'billows' so the scenes as well as the writing are surreal ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

mike_belben

the vinegar salt and soap grass killer works extremely well.  HOAs not so much. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Al,

Forgive me for being nosy but with 3 women - are you on the "Catch and release program"? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sedgehammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 04, 2021, 09:24:27 AM
Al,

Forgive me for being nosy but with 3 women - are you on the "Catch and release program"? :D
:D :D :D smiley_clapping
Necessity is the engine of drive

Resonator

I didn't know what a "HOA" was and had to look it up. Ah, no thanks. I'll stick with living out in the sticks.  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Chuck White

I don't know either, here's my guess:  Home Owners Association?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

I tried  fixing stupid  once but he didn't listen. Darwin finally fixed  him for good.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

Darwin has a way of doing that. ;D  @Chuck White you are correct. I lived in one, even served as president in an effort to help straighten out the finances. Finally gave up and sold out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

You folks are right about fixing stupid, however with the right medical team at your disposal you can sedate it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 04, 2021, 09:24:27 AM
Al,

First wife and mother of my children, divorce .Later passed away. .Number two wife of 23 years ,rare disease, passed 7 years ago .Number three who is Mrs Smith but not Mrs Al smith ,widow of one of my best buds .We've known each other since 10 years of age .At 73 years of age marriage is out of the question but being a man of honor if she would get in the family way I would marry her .It's the right thing to do  ;)

Ed_K

My son is a HMO's worst nightmare, he's really worked them up with the different ways of growing grass on the front lawn. I told him about this thread and he txt'ed about the hmo vice squad is trying to get a rule pass where your dogs an cats have to be registered and have a chip put in with dna so they can test poop and fine the owners who don't pick it up  :D :o.
Ed K

Al_Smith

Now this HOA stuff where lady fair lived in Sylvania Ohio you couldn't even grow a tomato plant in the flower bed .All the lawns were done by one lawn service and all mowed at the same time .Now all that is okay if you're into that I'm just not  one of them .By the same token I'm not one to have a half dozen junk cars in the front yard up on blocks either .It's been said when  in Rome do as the Romans ---or just don't go to Rome .I'll do the later .

WV Sawmiller

Al,

You are never going to never going to convince me that there is not collusion and kickbacks involved when the HOA designates a specific landscaping service. 

Ed,

The DNA test is definitely going overboard! Next they will be demanding bells on cats - if not a leash law to protect the neighborhood wildlife, and birth control pills for them. I can't wait for the DNA tests to come back and show it is fox, coyote, possum, coon or armadillo. BTW - was this housing on the left coast? Just asking. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

No this was in Ohio .The land of cornfields about like Iowa but with better corn .Those fields west of Toledo Ohio are in sections minus the houses on the road frontages .5-600 acres .The muckity mucks live on the outskirts of Toledo .The county club bunch or want-a-be's of same .It's not much different in Columbus Ohio .

Al_Smith

Regarding the grand plan where lady fair lived it was a con game .Plain as the nose on your face .Developed and laid out by a known con man but evidently desirable to some .I do know her home sold in three says before it was  even listed in homes for sale sites or the news paper .
About 1400 square feet and valued as much as mine which is on 6 acres, brick and 2200 sq feet .On the other hand if mine were in that area it would be worth a half a mil . I didn't pay near that amount 26 years ago .

Kindlinmaker

I have done a great deal of research on these; initially for business reasons but then just out of plain curiosity why a person would actually elect to have someone dictating more rules limiting their lives.  Its interesting what you learn when you start doing factual research.

HOAs are not a left coast - right coast thing; they are everywhere.    Interestingly, you will hear nightmare stories from all of them at some point but the "wanabes" are normally the biggest pains; figuring what is driving them would be a whole career.  While retirement communities and affluent, upper middle class suburban communities seem to drive most of the ugliest stories, you will find plenty of ugly stories and lawsuits in the midwest and rural areas as well.

The HOAs can be as simple as keeping out the neighborhood junk yards or as complex as what color and when you paint your house or what flowers you can plant and where.  But once the HOA is established, the majority can change rules (and associated costs) to anything they want and they are generally as enforceable (including financial penalties) as any other civil law.  Many times they will be linked to a club environment as is the case with many retirement communities.  As a good friend of mine, who lived in a beautiful Florida golf community, told me 30 years ago, "it may not be perfect but it is like living in a minimum security prison with maximum benefits".  Everything in life has tradeoffs.

While they may not work for folks like us, they certainly have their benefits or they wouldn't be so popular.  They tend to help hold property values, insure you live in a relatively attractive environment, tend to have lower crime rates and keep absolutely obnoxious neighbors at bay (although the pain in the neck bylaw enforcers may be more obnoxious than "standard" problem neighbors).

Here is a thought to chew on a bit.  HOAs are a pain to set up,  a pain to administer, and cost money that everyone would rather have in their pocket.  But just like building codes, zoning laws and many other frivolous laws that limit our freedom, they are born out of a reaction to someone who would not live/operate under common sense rules and courtesy to their neighbors.  
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

sawguy21

They are very common on the left coast, it is the only way most can afford their own housing. I got into one because I had the funds available and prices were rising but soon learned the error of my ways. One of the owners was also the paid complex manager, a clear violation of ethics if not the law, and he and his cronies milked it. Eventually it went into receivorship.
The city council of Port Moody BC had a motion to chip dogs and have dna samples collected so poo going to the landfill could be traced! It was to be disposed of down the toilet, try that with a bermese mountain dog! I didn't hear if it passed. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I read an article recently where a homeowner found a lawn ornament - a big concrete frog about 2' long or so and put it out by his flowers in front of his house. Another neighbor said his/her child was scared of frogs or maybe it was just this frog and would not walk past the house so they complained to the HOA who directed them to remove it. It might not be my cup of tea but it was not hurting anything. I remember wanting to extend my yard fence in NC when I was in the USMC and bought a home nearby and found I could not do so because it "diminished the value" of the surrounding property. I bought to live there not as an investment so I did not care about the value of my neighbors property. It just meant I had less safe area for my kids and dog to use even though I owned and paid taxes on the property. I could not plant a dogwood or peach tree in my front yard either. I am not built to live under such restrictions.

There have been numerous cases of residents complaining about US flags flown by veterans from poles or attached to the home. Sometimes other residents say they feel the flag is offensive to them and want it removed and "in the spirit of inclusion" the HOA directs them to move it. Sometimes the courts have sided with the homeowner, sometimes with the HOA.

I worked a couple of years in Norway and have a Norwegian daughter (former exchange student) over there. Norway is a beautiful country but they have similar rules and restrictions. Lots of Norway looks like lots of WV with mountains and clusters of homes up in the little valleys. You could not mow your lawn or wash clothes on Sunday or hang them on a line outside then. If you wanted to paint your house you had to go before the local commune and get their approval of your color scheme. Any new building or modifications had to be approved by the commune.

Ruth said the owners of a piece of land near her died and their family did not want it so it was abandoned and the commune divided it up and gave it to various neighbors I guess so they maintained it and paid property taxes on it. She was given several acres adjoining her place but they took an acre or so off the other side of her land and gave to another neighbor to keep harmony in the community. While in the end she ultimately benefited her dad and she had done a lot of work and put in many improvements on the property the commune seized and gave to the other neighbors and she had no real say in the matter.
Howard Green

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

I don't think I could live in a neighborhood with a HOA. As a matter of fact,  I don't think I could live in a neighborhood period. I live out in the sticks on 12 acres and prefer it that way. I can't imagine that my personality would mix well with someone who finds my flag offensive and want it taken down. In that case I would probably have to demonstrate what offensive really means. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

HemlockKing

How do you fellas keep yourself composed with these "HOAs"? I guess I'm imaging someone walk into my property (which you can't see jack all from the road, it's all trees) and tellin me what I can and can't do even though nothing is seen unless you actually walk into my land. Surely this is just suburb issues? I haven't heard of any HOAS around here, people literally live in shacks and a junkyard for a front yard. 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Patrick NC on May 05, 2021, 02:03:49 PM
I don't think I could live in a neighborhood with a HOA. As a matter of fact,  I don't think I could live in a neighborhood period. I live out in the sticks 
Amen  :)
A1

Southside

Wife looked over at the milk house earlier and told me a calf was sleeping in the driveway. Oh well, she was comfortable.

I don't think I would do well in a neighborhood either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

If you can see a neighboring house, they are too close for me.  Two dog barks away is about minimum.

Our nearest neighbor is a lake house less than one dog bark through the woods.  We can hear the dog barking some weekends, and that is too *DanG close.

Thank You Sponsors!