iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting Longleaf

Started by GATreeGrower, January 11, 2013, 05:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The buzzards probably keep the dead squirrels picked up. :D :D

You guys don't have moose to tear up your pine. ;D

Or bushy tailed hares making bushy pine with annual browse.

Never had to deal with soil moving around and burying seedlings, usually it's frost heaves, deer pulls, or shallow planted plugs and not firmed up plugs. If there is bad erosion, like on a hill, usually don't matter how deep the plug, it just went floating toward to nearest brook or ditch. We usually aren't planting in flood plains. I can't remember planting in one except up on a terrace that was created by glacier and the river is way down below. I mean if the river went that high, the lower half of NB would be under water.
;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Longleaf is best for straw.  Slash pine is second best.  Loblolly is the most common species, but it has the least preferred straw because of shorter needle length than longleaf or slash. 

With the Conservation Reserve Program, a Federal Program to encourage longleaf establishment, they do not allow straw production.  Removing the straw removes nutrients from the site as many nutrients are recycled in the straw.  Supplemental fertilization may be required to maintain site productivity. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I walked over my little Longleaf Plantation this afternoon.  Some trees are over 8' tall and still others are in the grass stage.  I'll burn around those trees this Spring.

And then the deer have taken out their share. 

Some just never had a chance.  I'll leave them as decoys so maybe the deer will be attracted to them next year and leave the others alone.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Gotta shoot more bucks... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Good answer.  I saw 5-6 trees that were badly rubbed.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Ah, yes. That's what I do is leave the ruffed up pine as I find the moose come back to the same trees over time. Kinda like the bears that climb the few red oaks I have for the acorns. They do a number on them with their claws and then the breaking of the limbs.  Sometimes you just give up growing quality trees. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!