iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yellow poplar mc

Started by 1953greg, January 21, 2007, 12:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1953greg

what is the "assumed" moisture content of green yellow poplar?

the toolbox calculator says it weights 3.2 lbs/bf green

what is the weight at 10% ??? ??? ??? ???
good day    greg

Den Socling

The DKOM says the heartwood starts at 83% and the sapwood 106%. The DKOM also says it weighs 2.549 pounds per boardfoot at 15%and 2.454 at 6%. A handy book, the DKOM!

Ga_Boy

Greg,

Instead of using assumed MC use your microwave to oven dry a sample.  You can also check out the lab auction sites and pick up a nice little Blue M Lab oven for a few hundred $$. 

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

OneWithWood

A word of caution - dry the piece in the microwave in steps.  If you are too agressive your microwave will never smell the same  :D  If you take your time the odor is actually quite pleasant-you may even begin to wonder just what poplar taste like  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Warren

Ditto what OWW said.  It took several weeks to get the "smoke" smell out of my microwave the first time I tried that method. 

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Homer

Hello again.  When I dry wood samples I use lowest power and run first time for twenty to thirty minutes. Paper towel under sample. weigh and run lowest power for ten minutes. Run the rest low power/ five minutes until no weight change. Moniter first long run, may have to modify time.    [/size] Homer

Thank You Sponsors!