iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idle wheel play, 2005 LT70

Started by woodmills1, October 01, 2018, 09:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

It wiggles, should I replace the bearing?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

terrifictimbersllc

Does it wiggle when the band is fully tensioned?   It wiggles like crazy if no band on it, that doesnt count.  I don't know how one can detect wiggle if the band is tensioned.  You have a good question though.  Maybe a dial gauge positioned on the edge of the band wheel spun by hand under tension could tell if there is wobble. 

If when spinning the wheel by hand or take the wheel off and spin it, it feels rough that is a clue. But watch out the roughness is coming from the belt rubbing on the blade housing, that doesn't count. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

If you can wiggle the bandwheel more than a few thousands, pull it off and replace BOTH bearings. Yeah, there's probably 2 in there. One bad and the other ok will drive you nuts..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

Ok, it wiggles with band off but it is not the mechanism it is just the wheel.  I assume you are saying with no tension you get the play in the whole thing.  If i leave the tension set the wheel wiggles maybe 1/16 or a little more.  Not much noise when I spin the idle wheel
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

the play seems to be in the single bearing in the idle wheel itself, not the two bearings that the mechanism is hing on

Percy

I have a 2003 LT70 with 11,000 plus hours and have changed the bearings in my idle side band wheel twice....If you aint sure, change them.

I like spending other peoples money  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  One bearing on the idle sided. When they go bad you can hear the bearing balls hit each other when spinning. It will also have a distinct noise, well like a bad bearing.   You can remove the center bolt and remove the seal and smell the grease, if it smells like burnt gear oil or worse time to replace the bearing. You may need a wheel puller to remove the wheel. You can press the bearing out. ( best way) I have hammered them out but if you miss and hit the cast wheel you will be purchasing a new wheel which has the bearing installed. ::)
Marty

here are some pictures of the drive side bearing removal. Note the bolt in stalled in the shaft. I have damaged the threads before always use a short bolt in the hole to protect the threads.

This bearing is bad. :o

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

gmmills

I change the bearings out if I can feel noticeable play in the wheels. If you do decide to change out the bearing you need to source a quality bearing. If you happen to have a local bearing supplier have them source an SKF 3309 A-2RS1/C3 bearing. Very high quality bearing and the ones I have purchased were made in USA. Ironically, they used to be supplied by WM as OEM. Not any longer.  Do yourself a big favor and don't replace the bearing with Chinese Peer brand. In this application a high quality bearing is a must considering the down time and labor for replacement.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Sawmill Man

I have just had to replace the idle side bearing in mw WM super lt 40hd. Ordered new from WM and was disappointed to see the brand was peer bearings as I had heard that they were almost worthless and now I have one in a very critical place on my mill. I hope it last but I feel I should stock a replacement immediately. Also noticed all my new guide rollers had peer bearings.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

MartyParsons

Hello ,
I have not seen failures of the bearings to be abnormal. I am not found of bearings made other than USA. WM is a global company. To get any company to change a part I would need to prove a high failure rate. In this application I have not seen any difference. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!