iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rodents

Started by Knute, January 16, 2019, 09:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Rodents ate a hole in my gas tank. Sure wish it was metal. Will try a picture.

Old Greenhorn

Well duct tape will cover it until you get a replacement, but *DanG! Those little stinkers!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

charles mann

PRO-SEAL FUEL TANK SEALANT P/S 890 B2 from Aircraft Spruce

PR-1422 CLASS B FUEL TANK SEALANT SEMKIT - B1/2 from Aircraft Spruce

these work well for sealing fuel cells, along with oil pans, valve covers and as an anti-vibration material, or really anything you want to seal up or together. 
its expensive, so buying the 1 pint can is better than the sim-kit, since the kit is a 1 time use, as with the can, mix as much or as little as you need and store for later. there is a shelf life on it, which i think is 6 months from the manufacturer, but i have some that is 2 yrs old and its still good, still holds strong, just have to stir the catalyst ever so often to keep it from chunking up. i patched my son's oil pan in 2 places after he wrecked his tck. i just slopped it on, building it up to about 1/8" thick and its holding strong. 
the hotter the mix, the faster the cure time, but the colder the mix, it won't cure at all. 

for a hole like your tank has, a small section, about 2x the size of the hole, or something similar to window screen, plastic, stainless or aluminum, with about a 1/16" thick coating around the outside of the hole, and press the screen into the sealant, and then spackle over the rest of the screen, smoothing it out, or leaving it lumpy, and let dry. user ready in 12-24 hrs, depending how hot the mix was.  
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

WV Sawmiller

Haven't had them cut into a gas tank yet but lost 2 50 gallon plastic barrels on my deer feeders this year. I think squirrels cut in then coons enlarged it. I bought some metal flashing and am going to try and make a cap to put over them before next season. I tried duct tape and such but that did not help. I did that several years ago and WD40'd the top good. Went there the next morning and watched a big fox squirrel jump on it, scramble a bit then fall about 20'. I like to fell off my ladder stand laughing at him. The WD40 did not stay on long and they cut in again in a couple weeks. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mad Professor

Culprits in my shed/barns were red squirrels.

Why they like gas cans/tanks? Who knows.

They ate a whole in the tank on my Husky string trimmer.  I started trimming and gas all over my leg........
Hole was not too big, JB weld has held for 2 years now.

The pellet rifle, rat traps, and Dcon has them knocked back to the treeline where they belong.

Knute

I did use duct tape as a temporary fix. Will try the sealant. Thanks for the information.

bags

Figured I had a squirrel knock'in "everything" off the shelfs in my wood shop--- set a cage to nab the little bugger. Gotta admit I was a bit surprised next morn'in.

Magicman

I would be surprised too!!  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I knew they were common in Mexico but did not know they were north of the border.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

I that a lemur?

I had a bear bite my 5 gallon gas can (full!) on the corner.  Of course it dropped it, hole side down so I lost $20 worth of gas.  I suppose he/she got a nasty taste from that "cooler" :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

I'm think it is a Coatimundi - a first cousin to a raccoon as I understand. We saw lots of them at a resort in Cancun a couple summers ago but I did not know they ranged as far as Colorado.
Howard Green

RichTired

How did it taste?  Like chicken?  :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

WV Sawmiller

I will have to defer the taste test to someone else as I have not tried one yet. I'd bet it would be tougher than coon or groundhog and probably pretty dark meat.  :-\
Howard Green

Magicman

bags is the only person that I know that has one.  Guess that he will have to do the taste test.   digin_2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boonesyard

I don't know that that's a Coatimundi. I've been looking at a lot of different "like" animals, and not really coming up with a fit. Did you let it go, or is it in weird animal heaven now?? candle_smiley I'm really curious as to what that thing is. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

JJ

look up Cacomistle, or ring-tail.

I bet it was somebody's pet.  I look it up, and it's range includes Co.

JJ

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WV Sawmiller

I had heard of them being called Ring Tailed cats, even though they are not a cat, but I had never heard of them being called a Cacomistle. Then again I have never lived where they did. All I ever read or heard them called was a Coatimundi or Ring Tail. I assume this is the same animal I saw in Mexico just with a different local name. Man, what a great source of information this site is! Now all we need to know is how it tastes and maybe what a prime fur sells for. I bet somebody out there knows. :D
Howard Green

DelawhereJoe

Looks like a fox and raccoon got frisky one night after drinking too much
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

charles mann

if ya wanna get rid of it and its still alive, ill drive up there to get it.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

terrifictimbersllc

If it was someone's pet it might have been vaccinated for rabies and have an id chip, a vet could tell you
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

I control small rodents with the tried and true mouse trap. The best bait I've tried is tootsy roll candy, chew a piece until it gets soft then squeeze it on the trap trigger. It will get hard and stick like glue. You can catch many rodents before it needs replacement. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bags

They are Ringtail Cats. We have a wild population down at about 7000 feet in the Hardscrabble Canyon--- didn't think they came up this high. It may look pretty cute and friendly, but it was a mean little sucker.lol. I've chowed down on lots of different critters, but never had a hanker'in to try one of these boulder rats.

I hauled it back down the canyon and cut it loose--- hides are only worth about $12.00 and I figured it would be a pain in the butt to pull its tail and come out in one piece. The little guy (pic) circled around and growled at me after "I set it free" (old tree hugger say'in)

P.S.--- WV--- whistle pigs are fairly fine outta a slow cooker---(we call'em rock marmonts up here)

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, slow cookers do pretty good. I usually prefer slow oven cooked in a big oval cast iron roaster my dad sent us when we first got married. Cream of Mushroom soup is a staple diet item to cook the meat in too.

I would think $12 per hide would not be too bad. Around here the buyers aren't even buying raccoon hides any more. Doesn't look like it would be a huge job to case out one of those hides. Yeah, not sure about stripping the tail intact if that would be a requirement.
Howard Green

DelawhereJoe

Reading online the ring tail cats tame easy and make good pets
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!