iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Smoked Roast

Started by K-Guy, November 05, 2019, 10:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runningalucas

That's a good looking roast; I use hickory most often when smoking, a little salt, pepper, and paprika works for me.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: K-Guy on March 04, 2021, 09:53:30 AM
Finally got warmer weather and a chance to get the smoker going this weekend. I made a marinade of Asian seasonings (shaoxing wine, soy sauce, orange juice, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and the usual powdered spices) two days before but after smoking it with hickory wood it tasted really good but not Asian.

Looks and sounds really tasty 😋 

K-Guy

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 04, 2021, 10:34:32 AMTender? How long and what temp?

Very Tender
175°F for about 2 hrs
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

mike_belben

Timely thread.  I am gonna try smoking for the first time in the next few days on my homemade evaporator barbecue stove thingy.. It doesnt have conventional intake/exh temperature controls but i have a lot of influence on the path of the heat and smoke and whether the meat is in it or on the edge or outside it.  

Ive got a venison ham trimmed up and sitting in a rub of half kosher salt, half domino cane sugar and a few chugs of my own maple syrup.  I think ill also do beans and tinfoil potatoes.. And i have bacon that im tempted to wrap the hams in just because bacon.   But im not sure.  Total newb to smoke.

Grill grates, pan or tinfoil?  High heat first to sear outsides or super slow creeping up to high heat or ..  I dunno what my game plan is.  Have dry red maple, hickory and red/white oak.  Some black cherry too but i dont think its totally dry.

Im hoping for a moist, tender slicing meat to put in wraps.  Theres no connective tissue or fat in this particular ham. 
Praise The Lord

olcowhand

Mike,
I've never smoked venison, so I can't help there, but.... 
You just created a new phrase I'm going to use any time someone asks me why I'm doing something that is just the right way to do it: "Because Bacon!". That sums it up perfectly...
"Why do you spend so much time sharpening your saw?"   "Because Bacon...."
I also am tempted to fire up the smoker during this streak of milder weather we have coming... Maple, Red Oak, Cherry or Apple for me.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

mike_belben

Because i can?  

no sir.  Because baCAN.

digin1
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

After all, isn't it ALWAYS, no matter what, about the food. Even critters gotta eat. "THEY" say money makes the world go round, nah, it's food you dummies! 

But good smoked food is always a treat!
Trying harder everyday.

K-Guy

We some of the leftover roast in a taco dip with regular taco seasoned hamburger this weekend(no pics, it didn't last long) and it added even more taste to it!!

Mike
Be very careful with that venison. I haven't done any of it before but I would think that a low temperature (175°) would be best. Hopefully someone else here has done some.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

mike_belben

Yes, youre right.  I studied up and 175 to 250f seems to be the smoker temp consensus.  120-150f meat temp range suggested.. With 130-135 being what most shoot for.  

My setup is a better oven than a smoker.. Its gonna be a challenge to keep it that cool but i may try it today.  Baked a potato last night just to burn off all the icky stuff. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

It was okay.  Not my best but it was soft and moist and didnt get burned.  And i learned a lot about how a smoker behaves.  Not shown was a pot of baked beans with onion, corn, bacon and tomato that was excellent with smoke.  The potato was perfect too.  The tinfoil had butter, garlic powder, diced onion, salt and a burger season i love.
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

That's MY kind of dishes, works pretty good for starting a fire 🔥 
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

last night i was a little disappointed in my smoked deer roast.  for one, i normally soak and wash venison in water a few times as it thaws.  this gets rid of old blood and a lot of what people call gamey flavor. well i forgot to do that so it had some gamey.  i can normally make deer taste like beef.  game doesn't bother me but ...

since i had shot it full of maple syrup, salt and sugar juice it had a sort of glazed ham sweetness that just didn't seem right when mixed with game flavor. and being that incredibly soft.. my brain was telling me this is raw.  I'm used to hot flame grilling which hardens stuff up, at least on the outside.  well my whole roast was squishy tender from one end to the other and i was a bit worried. but no one hit the bathroom so it musta been fine.  internal temp was almost 140.  if i did that in a pan or flame it'd be on its way to becoming a pretty tough piece of meat. i guess i was just thrown off by the outcome of slow and low smoking.

today the leftover hunk of sweet bacon-ey soft smokey meatness really shined when i sliced it up on a hot sandwich full of melted cheese and mayo.  oh dang was that a treat.  

i have a bunch of leftover baked smoked potatoes from last night too so i think we'll have twice baked taters tonight.  or as they call it in mountain talk, twyst.  not onest baked, but twyst.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!