iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken hydraulic fitting on loader

Started by Bruno of NH, November 27, 2019, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

My helper dropped the loader arms down without cleaning under them and broke the energy fuse fitting at the piston.
Part of the fitting is still inside the piston body.
Any ideas how to remove the piece without damaging the threads in the piston body.
Any help I would be grateful. 
I'm having one of them weeks.
I'm working tomorrow morning because I need to get an order out.
I plugged the hose and load the mill with the Bobcat which I don't care for.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

I will try and see.
I might have some that big.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ncsawyer

That's some kind of luck!.   Easy out is a good suggestion.  Maybe a left handed drill bit might bite in enough get it out.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

SawyerTed

Mine came out with an Easy Out.  I used a threaded nipple in place of the velocity fuse until the replacement part arrived.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Another trick is to sacrifice a flat screw driver by filing it down so it will wedge into the inside of the broken fitting then back it out. Don't use a cheap, soft one, it needs to be harder than the broken fitting. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Good suggestions here, i broke one once don't remember how i got it out but remember it wasnt too hard just have to get it started.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

charles mann

There is a vid on youtube of where this exact same thing happened. He used an eez-out. 

No eez-out that big, try a chisel that is just a tad to big and drive it in the fitting then turn the chisel to back the fitting out. 

In avn, hammers and chisels and such is highly frowned upon, but in an aog situation, we had to do this same thing, driving a chisel in the fitting, backing it out and installing the new fitting before we were done refueling.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Chuck White

Any idea what you put in for a search?

This is what I entered and it didn't get me there!  "Changing a broken velocity fuse on a Wood-Mizer LT40"
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

A-z farmer

Bruno 
I like to use the pipe easy outs which are just different sizes of square stock made tapered with flutes to bite into fittings.We sometimes only get one use out of one on really stubborn broken fittings but it is still much less down time.I have never been able to make the spiral easy out to work because they expand the broken fittings too much .
Zeke

WWright

Don P

I've also used the handle end of a mill file in a pinch.

BigZ La

Did one for a neighbor, we had to cut the end of the easy out to fit properly but it came right out. 

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

whatwas

I've used socket style allan keys to remove broken off pipe nipples or close nipples that are all thread and you don;t want to buggar up the treads with a pipe wrench.
life is good

Stuart Caruk

I hate easy outs ( I see way to many busted ones for me to get out in my shop...) my tool of choice is a cheap set of torq drive bits, from teeny to way big. Find one just a wee too big and whack it in with a beater. Turn it out with a small wrench. works most times...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!