iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

I really like that beaver tail on your trailer scsmith42. As you stated being able to go higher than level has some advantages. On the Diamond C the locking mechanism for the beaver tail is not on the cylinders and it's automatic when. To control the hydraulic jacks and tail there is a valve turned one way or the other. Corded control and a wireless remote also. You can get air suspension that has a dump valve to keep one set of tandems up or down with tandems or triples 

scsmith42

The Brute system uses a spacer bar between the top of the hyd cylinder and the top of the rod (think safety system on a backhoe that uses a u=shaped bar strapped around a cylinder rod).  

The nice thing about the Brute system is that it works even if you lose a hydraulic hose.  Don't ask me how I know this....  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Walnut Beast

Had a email from the dealer. What did you decide 32? After I added more stuff I told him I might go 35'. Still trying to decide 😂. He said go 35' when we where on the phone 

hedgerow

I would go with the 35. Seems like with a trailer you always run out of room. Every one I know that has the 17.5 tires really like them and have had very little trouble with them. I would carry a spare just in case. Have a buddy that has a triple axle 7000 pound axles that had 16 inch singles on it when the trailer was new and he had a lot of tire issues with it. He put the 17.5 tires and wheels on several years ago and his tire problems went away. 

mike_belben

You guys on class D's going bigger n better are gonna run out of license to cover the load, pure and simple.  The more trailer you add the less load youll have on the deck and im not joking at all.. The tickets are just gonna be bigger when you get your first out of service for being 15k over your plate and license.  They dont play no more.  10 cops can let people slide.. But they dont matter.  Its the one who shoves it all the way in.  My lesson cost a $900 tow, month of impound, 800 mile drive to court, plea bargain, additional fine and 2700 i think in storage fee.  

Playin with fire here boys.  Dont say i didnt warn ya. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Over 26,001 no CDL here for anything for farm related operations 

Walnut Beast

The Diamond C FMAX 212 has a GVWR 25,900 with electric/hydraulic jacks, beaver tail and extras has a weight of 8,300 so you can haul 17,600 legally. Like Mike says or you're rolling the dice

stavebuyer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 01, 2020, 12:58:51 PM
The Diamond C FMAX 212 has a GVWR 25,900 with electric/hydraulic jacks, beaver tail and extras has a weight of 8,300 so you can haul 17,600 legally. Like Mike says or you're rolling the dice
I believe the trailer limit for CDL A is 10,000# for the trailer and 26,000# for the truck/trailer combined. Farm Use exempted but any non-farm use including say moving your skid steer to the neighbors to do dirt work would not be exempt even if you grow more corn than anybody in the mid-west on your own farm.

mike_belben

Im gonna share a fact of life.  The state book can say youre exempt.  The cop says youre a contractor not a farmer, his pen hits the paper and thats the charge, too late now.   Now you're forced to submit to the whim of a district court yoy may not have ever heard of and theyll take your license without remorse.  The court doesnt embarass its troopers.  It protects them and orders you to hold them all harmless on your plea bargain.  You dont get off unless they get immunity first. 

By the NY state cdl handbook, i was exempt.  Didnt matter. Over $3k later i got my junk back.  Just how it is.  I dont mean to be a stickler here and i am a live free or die kinda guy.. but DOT really ruined me for a few years and i dont wanna see it happen to you guys or anyone else reading who are just trying to make an honest living like i was.   

Keep those fingers crossed when youre operating in the gray areas because sadly, it really is luck of the draw out there.  The manufacturer is selling stuff they call passenger that the man says is commercial.  Catch 22ish. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 01, 2020, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 01, 2020, 12:58:51 PM
I believe the trailer limit for CDL A is 10,000# for the trailer and 26,000# for the truck/trailer combined. Farm Use exempted but any non-farm use including say moving your skid steer to the neighbors to do dirt work would not be exempt even if you grow more corn than anybody in the mid-west on your own farm.
You are correct 👍

Walnut Beast

Trailers going to be about 3 months out but it's ordered . I got about option you could get except the air ride suspension. That's only 5,500 😂. Did get the 17,500 winch option in it's own enclosed lockable box with corded and remote control. Never know when you need to back up to a nice log and winch it up on the hydraulic beaver tail that's good for 10 k 😂

chevytaHOE5674

I roll under the farm exemption and try to stick to hauling my own farm stuff on the big GN trailer. Any hay or equipment moves are for my own operation (helps owning multiple farms spread around). Start hauling non obvious farm stuff and it's a matter of time before you get burned.

Anything out of the "local" area I just poney up and pay somebody to haul it even if I'm capable because its cheaper than a stop.

mike_belben

When i got busted the trailer was dead empty and i was headed north for a load of my own property. Driving out of class was my only charge but she still wanted ifta, irp, logbook, dot and mc #s.. medical card etc.

Even though ive got a cdl now, theres nothing to stop a trooper from looking at my load of junk and saying i dont own it and that im an undercover hauler without dot/mc numbers, ifta stickers etc.  Its a mess that gets outta hand fast.  Youre always in violation according to someone.  Very frusterating.
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

I have had semi's for well over 40 years. I have ran commercial and farm mostly a five state area. As insurance and dot and getting drivers got tough we got out of the commercial side of things. I still have a DOT number for the farm side but don't need it now with the farm exempt from a CDL. I am down to two semi's and I never cross a state line and never get more than 100 miles from home with them. My farms are spread out about 20 miles from my home base and when I haul equipment between them I just stay on the county roads and now days when I move my dozer I pull the lowboy with my big farm tractor. If I buy a bigger piece of equipment far from home or out of state I just hire it hauled. It's not worth the chance of maybe getting a ticket from DOT that decided your not farm exempted. I just got stopped this Monday with my pickup and my dual axle ramp gate trailer twice in a 200 mile trip to pickup a new zero turn mower. The first stop was only three miles from home I pulled out of the fuel stop and DOT rolled up behind me as I was setting at the light getting on the highway he pulled me over and did a safety check. Every thing was fine lights, brakes on all axles, break away was working and safety chains all good. He kicked my lose. Later that day I got stopped over in the other state were two run together same kind of check and he looked at the paper work on the mower to make sure it was my mower for the farm as I have farm plates on my pickup's and trailer's. He kicked my lose. Years ago if I got stopped every five years I thought that was too much. Now days if I don't get stopped a least a couple of times during fall harvest I think there not doing there job. 

Walnut Beast

Anybody run a Shocker air ride hitch on your gooseneck?

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 02, 2020, 05:54:57 PM
Anybody run a Shocker air ride hitch on your gooseneck?
About five years ago or so I was at a winter farm show with a buddy and we ran across the booth with the guy that builds the Shocker air ride hitch out of Arthur ND. The buddy of mine bought one and runs it on his 40 foot three axle aluminum gooseneck stock trailer. He's into pure breed cattle and show cattle so they probably tow 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year with that trailer and a F-550 four door ford truck. He thinks the hitch helps a lot but the truck does have air ride suspension on it also. 

Walnut Beast

Thanks hedgerow for all your very helpful feedback and opinions 👍👍. I did order the shocker hitch with the trailer. I actually called the dealer yesterday to ask him about the new Shocker hitch they just released for pre order. It's a 9" forward one and has the air bag vertical. For short box trucks (me). I tod the dealer I want that one. Dealer didn't even know about it. I thought he got it straight from Shocker. But when you order the trailer they just come from Diamond. So he said he would call them and see about getting that one

Walnut Beast

I was going to get the deck on the neck but since I'm getting the lockable winch box they can't do it. You could either get bolt on or weld on and get the winch setup under it. But I wanted the lockable box setup with battery and all wires enclosed. So I said let's forget the deck on the neck. I did go with the 17.5 wheels and tires with the Hutch adjustable suspension 

Larry

F-350 single axle.  25' gooseneck with two 7,000 pound axles.  I think everything is in good condition but old.  Don't load heavy and stay off the interstates.  Would DOT ever look at me?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Nice 👍. The dealer did tell me on the trailer I'm getting with tandem dually 12k axles that in the same trailer with super single 12 k axles they offer that a customer has said he gets stopped significantly less when they see the singles compared to when he had the tandem dually 

YellowHammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 01, 2020, 12:47:30 PM
Over 26,001 no CDL here for anything for farm related operations
Also, some states, such as Alabama, still consider farm vehicles as exempted but commercial, and still must have a DOT number, which require inspection and medical card if labeled over 10,000 lbs.

Small farmers see red (tape): Growers fear transportation requirement will up costs

If you are going to use a farm exemption there are still things you should do to protect yourself when you are in an often used and abused gray area of federal law.  Here are the mistakes I made over the years.  I'm not saying you're making them, I'm just throwing these out for others to hear, if they apply.

First would be to make sure the vehicles and trailers in question are specifically covered under farm insurance.  One reason is that your private vehicle insurance won't pay for a farm related accident.  Been there done that.  There needs to be something in your private policy that specifically says such and such trailer are covered for farm work.  If not, they won't.  Second reason is real farms have real vehicles, and they have real farm vehicle insurance.  

Next, get a medical card.  Then have your vehicles inspected once a year by a DOT certified garage.  How does this help?  Say you are in an accident.  You hurt or kill somebody.  You have exceeded CDL or DOT weight ratings but are legally hauling under a farm exemption, and are hauling "farm stuff."  As far as the law is concerned, the reason there are these laws is to protect people and make the streets safer.  So each law has a reason, and they actually protect and certify both the driver and the vehicles as being roadworthy.

After a serious wreck, you will be automatically sued by the victims insurance company as a well as ambulance lawyers.  Most likely about a million dollars or so.  So their job is to prove you or your vehicle was substandard or negligent in some way.  Questions such as: Are you healthy?  Did you momentarily black out due to high blood pressure? Are you driving hearing impaired?  Vision impaired? The answer need to be "Nope, here's my DOT physical card."  Then, why couldn't you have stopped sooner to avoid the accident?  Was the vehicle in good working order? We're you negligent in it's maintenance? We're the brakes working properly?  Were the tires in good shape? Were all the lights working?  Brake lights?  Once again, the answer needs to be "Nope, here is my annual DOT vehicle and trailer inspection sticker."

Once you have a farm tagged vehicle, and you have a "normal" job, you can't legally drive to it for other uses, and that is enforced in this area.  That's because the road tax and plate fees are much lower than than for private vehicles, and the systems puts restrictions on the use of the vehicle.  Here in Alabama, it exclusively restricts farm tagged vehicles from towing boats, recreational vehicles, or have exemptions if traveling (150 air miles or traveling on the Interstate).  I had a buddy get a ticket because he was asked where he was going when he got stopped.  He blurted he was late for work and when asked where he worked, at his primary job, a 9-5 business, the was given a choice to drive his farm vehicle (a nice Ford pickup) back home and come back with another vehicle, or get a ticket.  He said that wasn't right, so he got a ticket.

Either way, it sounds like a top notch trailer.  Congratulations!

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Thanks Yellowhammer. You put some great insight into insurance and several other factors 👍. When I start doing some custom mulching in late spring it probably would be wise to be right on everything you mentioned for sure. Definitely sounds like you had the been there done that 😊

chevytaHOE5674

In Michigan we are allowed to use a farm plated truck for "transportation of the farmer or farmers family". So its no issue using it for grocery shopping or driving to work. I know other states aren't so lenient. 

mike_belben

Quote from: Larry on December 03, 2020, 09:43:32 PM
F-350 single axle.  25' gooseneck with two 7,000 pound axles.  I think everything is in good condition but old.  Don't load heavy and stay off the interstates.  Would DOT ever look at me?
There aint no tellin. 
  A 14k trailer is CDL in a lotta places.  And ignored in just as many.  Mine was an empty 30ft 14k goose, parked, with me asleep in it.   Start of a blitz. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Larry on December 03, 2020, 09:43:32 PM
F-350 single axle.  25' gooseneck with two 7,000 pound axles.  I think everything is in good condition but old.  Don't load heavy and stay off the interstates.  Would DOT ever look at me?
Around here they will find you on the two-lane that cuts through the area. But this is NY and our Governor has expensive tastes and needs. ;D
 In fact, they usually have a 'Fall Feeding Frenzy' where they set up a roadblock on that 2 lane around the last weekend of Rifle season for deer. They invite every law enforcement agency that can write a ticket in the area and they stop every car, check plates, registration, what's in the vehicle, hunting licenses, manifests, logs, tire treads, brakes, and everything and anything that might generate a ticket. When they find something or need help on a particular type of law or violation they get an Officer with that expertise to come over and carry on in detail. In the 70's they even had 2 Judges working out of the old town hall across the road to do arraignments on the spot. One year I stumbled into it and while I was waiting for my inspection struck up a chat with a hunter awaiting his fate. He had New Jersey plates on his car, but they saw a 'resident' hunting tag on his coat in the backseat. It wasn't a good day for him. Any hauler that got wrapped up in that might be there for quite awhile until they could find something. It was quite the little pop-up ticket factory. Every State, County, local LEO's as well as DEC, DEP, and few others were represented. I got lucky that one time, I looked like a local, got held up in the line for a while, but when they got to me with an old beat up truck, beard and floppy faded hunting hat, they did little more than check my license, registration and insurance. I was just annoyed, but as I drove off I realized I had a frozen venison roast laying on the back seat under a coat that a friend had given me when I left his place. That would have been fine except that it didn't have the required information on it per state law (takers name, date, etc) and if they had found that, I would have been busted too.
 All it takes is once and you will think twice for the rest of your life.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!