iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Favorite Soups and Stews

Started by SawyerTed, November 30, 2020, 04:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

My bil is a very picky eater, people like that drive me nuts ::) I am not hard to please but do have to draw the line at bell peppers especially the green ones.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

If I make a can of tomato soup, I also add a can if Italian diced tomatoes.  gives it a little chunk to chew on.  and some flavor.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

I don't care for commercially canned soup, too salty for my taste, but homemade is so good. A local restaurant serves a tomato/basil that is absolutely delicious with a grilled cheese on sourdough. 8)

Tacotodd

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 10, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
My bil is a very picky eater, people like that drive me nuts ::) I am not hard to please but do have to draw the line at bell peppers especially the green ones.
Roy, they give me EXTREME heartburn, and I don't like the taste 👅 
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

made this one last night.  i grew the kale and butternut squash.  the rest was just what do we got?  yeah that'll do.  did some martha white cornbread too. 

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Last night i made some stew from potatoes, carrots, onions and whole chicken thighs to go into the freezer while i was thawing out a pot of deer stew for dinner from the freezer.  Its become sort of a rotation to always have atleast a few days of instant food in the freezer even if the power or propane are out.  and i think it gives stews the extra time to meld and thicken like i prefer.  

This was my first chicken stew and it came out good.  I simmered until the bones just fell out with a shake of the tongs.

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Quote from: mike_belben on December 18, 2020, 10:54:52 AM
made this one last night.  i grew the kale and butternut squash.  the rest was just what do we got?  yeah that'll do.  did some martha white cornbread too.

My wife is arguably one of the best cooks I've known. My own Mom was in the newspaper as a cook and I gotta say it's even better at my house now. 
That said, cornbread is sort of like the air we breathe in our E KY area. 
My wife will not buy Martha White Cornmeal "MIX"-it has to be the same brand but the Hot-rize meal, no the mix! I've come to like the stuff in soups/stews and as a bread to use for a BBQ sandwich. 
What I cannot do is make a meal from a glass of milk with leftover cornbread in it as do many here. 
In KS many added some sugar and it was always yellow meal-you see both here but mostly white. When I first came to KY many of the oldtimers made their won meal but barley anyone does now. Hickory Cane corn mostly. 
My favorite cornbread is Jalapeno cornbread! 
My thoughts on the chicken soup that got this thread started- my wife would use canned chicken broth or her own to cook veggies and not toss it out. 
Kale freezes like the day you picked it-I grew up liking spinach in KS then was introduced to kale and mustard greens in KY and I have never looked back! Kale is best IMO. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

that recent pic was jiffy cornbread with some brown sugar in it.  no one complained but I'm still trying to get it to my liking. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

My Mom used Jiffy which is a sugary mix and sold like crazy when I was in the grocery business in KS. We ran it for a dime in the weekly grocery ads that people looked for every thursdays newspapers. I'd say it sells here in KY too as many cooks either don't know how or don't care? FWIW, REAL cornbread is made only with buttermilk. 
If you want to try something a bit different, look for either polenta in a regular grocery or in many states there's a Hispanic version that mostly the same IMO. it's a coarse ground meal and often yellow. On my Mexico MC rides I ridden past thousands of miles of corn that was grown for humans and livestock and as you get further south toward Guatemala it is usually old style tall flint corns. 
Back on track with soups & stews, I like polenta in a soup and also hominy too as Mexicans do. 
We make our own homemade tamales in chicken and pork and the masa thats used is a similar meal to cornbread meal except if has the cornflour in a larger proportion.

Tip of the day: don't buy stew meat-buy a chuck roast on sale and cut your own in sizes you like plus you'll know it's a flavorful cut too, not some almost off-cut. 
We make msot of our beans from dry and save some for chili and such. Lentils and Navy Beans are some we like as their own soup. This years garden I'm back to growing Aunt Violets Multi-colored Butterbean, it's a very small pole type lima with great flavor and easily subs for chili beans or we like it in Cowboy Beans. 

Talking tomato soup made at home. my next door neighbor in KS was from Mayetta, KS, she made it from mashed up canned tomatoes with some tomato juice tossed in along with a bit of sugar and when nearly done she tossed in some baking soda which reacts with the tomato acid and mellows it out nicely. If your someone who doesn't like canned tomato soup, try either the fancier paper cartons or the easily done canned tomatoes type. We use our home canned version. On that notion I have a new Brandywine Black tomato from a Taccoa, GA seller. It's a cross of an extinct heirloom black type of tomato called Brown Fejee with the Brandywine-dates to Quakers in PA in 1920. The old lady who sells the seed says it's the best of the dark tomatoes she's tasted. It is said to do well in the heat and while we liked Black Krim for flavor it cracked so bad we quit on them.  
Yes I'm sick and entertaining myself on the web...got a virus, but not THAT one. :D 

kantuckid

Quote from: mike_belben on February 01, 2021, 04:04:48 PM
Last night i made some stew from potatoes, carrots, onions and whole chicken thighs to go into the freezer while i was thawing out a pot of deer stew for dinner from the freezer.  Its become sort of a rotation to always have atleast a few days of instant food in the freezer even if the power or propane are out.  and i think it gives stews the extra time to meld and thicken like i prefer.  

This was my first chicken stew and it came out good.  I simmered until the bones just fell out with a shake of the tongs.

Wife found a "Spicy White Bean Chicken Chili" recipe that left us liking white chili a lot!!! Which we'd stopped trying to make altogether. I'll get the link when she gets home-use dry Navy beans for the beans after first eating part of them as a meal. 

mike_belben

we don't really do spicy but chicken chili sounds good.  my chili game has a lot of room for improvement. i was raised on pizza mcdonalds pbj and cereal so I've come a long ways.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Made this for my Sister day before yesterday. Not heard from her since. I'm sure she must be okay.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

I would say she should be okay 😂. Looks pretty good 

mike_belben

Ive taken to making a pot of stew that goes straight into tupperwares for the freezer. Then when i get an itch for it but dont have the time or energy for all the work, or the house is chilly and i wanna feel the oven, i just plop 2 frozen blocks in the pan and cook it again with the cornbread.  

Recent discovery, cornbread with your own really real maple syrup.  Oh dang. 

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

You really need to begin making cornbread in cast iron? We fight over the crusty edges it gives! 

WDH

Cornbread is so good.  Having it tonight with vegetable beef soup.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Around E KY it has a similar rank with the air we breathe. I like the stuff but I much prefer Jalapeno cornbread recipe. 
Tip of the day: Cornbread makes great pulled pork sandwich buns. 
#2 tip of the day: try making cornbread with polenta or coarse meal from either an Amish store or a Hispanic grocery. Comes out similar to home ground meal cornbread. 
I have a A.H. Hatch meal grinder I don't need, cause I don't grow Hickory Cane corn now.  

K-Guy

We had this for supper last night and will again.

Authentic Pörkölt (Hungarian Beef and Onion Stew)

• 4 slices thick-cut bacon , diced (traditionally you would use lard (about 2 tablespoons) and many Hungarians add some kolbasz for flavor which makes a big difference)
  • 1 large yellow onion , finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper , seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic , minced
  • 1 large tomato , finely diced
  • 1 1/2 pounds stewing beef , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 tablespoons quality imported sweet Hungarian paprika (yes, that's TABLEspoons!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds , coarsely crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Water

INSTRUCTIONS

• In a heavy pot or Dutch oven fry the bacon until done. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat until golden. Add the bell peppers and garlic and cook for another two minutes. Add the beef and cook for a minute until some, but not all, of the pink is gone. Stir in the paprika and remove from heat.
  • Add the remaining ingredients. Add just enough water to come up to just over the halfway point of the stew mixture (in other words, not so the water is covering it). Return to heat and bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 90 minutes. If the stew isn't thick enough, continue to simmer uncovered for a few more minutes so that some of the liquid evaporates. Add salt to taste.
  • Serve with Spätzle (in Hungary they are shorter and stubbier, so prepare the dough accordingly or just use whatever method/shape you prefer - the texture and flavor of the dough is the same regardless). Or serve with boiled potatoes or wide egg noodles. A side salad, particularly a cucumber salad, is traditional. If desired, serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

kantuckid

Are you Hungarian Heritage, etc.?
 We are growing a Hungarian pepper -Alba Regis variety. I got off this GA lady my age on ebay-heirloom, open pollinated changes colors from ivory to orange to red- one of the paprika peepers they grow in Hungary. It's got tad of heat and very sweet too. They sell them along the road there in huge bags late season.
I once tried very hard to find a Hungarian bean to later learn it was a group of colors of butter/lima beans that the Hungarians all seem to mix at sales tables for color effect. 
While in Hungary visiting our son we ate at a restaurant in Budapest near the State Opera House- there was a Gypsy playing the violin as we ate, priced very reasonable and what I ate seems similar to the recipe you've posted. Who knows what it was called in Hungarian lingo? :D 

K-Guy

Nope. My wife found the recipe online. Simple but very tasty!!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

streem26

I make butternut squash soup every other week or so and I could eat it for every meal. It's not uncommon for me to pack it for breakfast and also have it for dinner. Sometimes I'll add spicy sausage or crumbled bacon. I don't use a recipe but what I do is kind of similar to the serious eats recipe.

kantuckid

We have grown butternuts many years and we always froze them once we were into a new garden season as they store well until spring. Truth is that that specific soup is one that store bought matches the real thing pretty well! Lazy boy me has switched to buying it in the paper cartons as I got other stuff to use my garden space for.
i see your not on here much-welcome back! My wife and I also ride mtn bikes and one son raced road bikes in college and our oldest son is a hard core mtn bike and road bike rider with bikes that cost more than some peoples cars...
Where are you?

sawguy21

My wife made butter nut squash soup, no store bought was ever that good! Also my favourite roasted. A local restarant serves an outstanding tomato/basil soup I can't get enough of but now is closed because of Covid restrictions. This is really frustrating!

kantuckid

Take a canning jar of home grown maters, run it in a blender and spice as you wish and call it soup. Some add soda to smooth it out. Basil we grow and dry. 
 Store bought butternut has the exact same ingredients as homemade. Very much unlike all the sodium packed soups in the rest of that section. It even comes in organic if that lights your fire. 

Thank You Sponsors!