iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally have a mill on the way!

Started by SETexan, August 29, 2021, 08:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SETexan

I didn't see a section for new members so maybe this needs to be moved but I finally got around to ordering a mill. It's the Woodland HM130MAX. I really wanted a  Woodmizer but the 42 week wait was longer than I could wait. I haven't been on or around a mill since I helped my grandpa on his pole mill and woodmizer in my pre and teenage years(37yrs now). Currently trying to decide on a ground mounted setup or trailer setup? I never liked climbing the frame for various task and figure the lower the bed the easier to step in and take care of everything. On the other hand a trailer setup would definitely be beneficial and even thought about removing the axle when setting up for a longer run? My main concern is having the trailer flexible enough to level everything perfectly or stiff enough  to keep the leveling feet and fine tune it with those as needed. Hopefully it's not to long of a first post and I can learn some more while I'm here.
HM130MAX on home built trailer
L3940 Kubota

trimguy

Congratulations! For me, I need in mine to be mobile. I don't know if you have any support equipment, It might be easier for you to load the logs with the mill on the ground. I like mine on the trailer, better working height for unloading boards and slabs. I work by myself.

SETexan

I have a 40hp Kubota I'll be using but lifting a 28" log(largest i have so far) would be a chore. I did consider building a 4x6 or 6x6 skid I could load onto my 20' trailer and off load as needed.

My original plan was to build a lightweight trailer and bring my tractor and mill in one haul.
L3940 Kubota

Crossroads

Congratulations, let the fun begin!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

maple flats

The good news is that most Woodland Mills orders are shipping earlier than projected. I ordered my HM130MAX on May 3, was told it would ship on Aug 31, it arrived 5 weeks early.
I've read where most are getting theirs 4-6 weeks early. Join the Woodland Mills Owner's Facebook Group, you will see how things are generally progressing. It will also help you with the learning curve too.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

thecfarm

I do not have a trailer package with my mil. He brought it with one, but left with it.  ;D  I have no desire to move my mill. I only saw for myself and my logs are on my land, just waiting to be cut.
Welcome to the forum.
Get a Logrite cantdog or peavey. You will need something to turn those logs and cants. Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA. 
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SETexan

I have one of my grandpa's cant hooks and a few tongs. I'll definitely get a backup or two and Logrite seems to be popular. Also have to get a shed built for it pretty quick or at least a small shed for the mill head as I can set it up in the shade. Also thinking about lumber storage. We always used tin and blocks but a nice long shed I could load it with the tractor and would be pretty convenient. 
L3940 Kubota

SETexan

Quote from: maple flats on August 30, 2021, 12:08:49 PM
The good news is that most Woodland Mills orders are shipping earlier than projected. I ordered my HM130MAX on May 3, was told it would ship on Aug 31, it arrived 5 weeks early.
I've read where most are getting theirs 4-6 weeks early. Join the Woodland Mills Owner's Facebook Group, you will see how things are generally progressing. It will also help you with the learning curve too.
Getting it early would be great. I am currently on night shift and scheduled to finish up by the end of September. 
L3940 Kubota

Jeff

The Grampa canthook should be a cherished wallhanger and Logrite are popular because they are the best made and best functioning tools you can buy and prove you are serious about your milling endeavors. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SETexan

I'm thinking a couple of the logrites at various lengths will do the trick. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to post some pictures and any questions I might have. 
L3940 Kubota

thecfarm

I have 2 tractors and 2 chainsaws for the same reason.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!