iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw M14

Started by mcguire, February 26, 2021, 02:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcguire

I've got a belsaw I've spent the last 2 years rebuilding, machining new parts throughout in my shop. Have it all setup, and in the test runs I've been getting a taper cut from 1 inch in the front to 1 1/4 at the end of the cut... just lost..

Don P

Have you tried a bit less lead?
When you measure from under the cant to the carriage at each end of the carriage is it the same?

moodnacreek

It will saw better than that.  Without experience in large circle saws it is hard to read what is going on. The lead and the filing of the teeth are likely suspects .

Jim B

I'm not a expert but I do have a 14 Bellsaw and they cut really good if every thing is set up right and straight. The saw has to stand up straight at rpm and guides set correct,and the teeth have to be sharp and square if you have the original owners manual then follow the set up instructions and that will get you close, being square and level is one of the most important things to look at and make sure your board splitter is set correct if its not it will push the carriage on a angle and put too much pressure on the cant
Buy a good file guide like a Dexter and your life will become easier when sharpening

Jim

moodnacreek

I can't beat that post.

mcguire

So, after many months and years. I have the belsaw up and going kinda.. There isn't a nut bolt, gear, guide track, or bearing that has not been rebuilt or replaced. I ended up building a machine shop from scratch. Lathes, vertical mills, horizontal mill, shaper, even a gear hobber. My son built a small cast iron foundry and muller and we recast the pinion gears for the carriage. We even started a YouTube(McGuire andSon's Sawmill). The blade is now headed back to BH Payne to be serviced and hammered. Its cutting within a 1/32 over 12 feet. Lots of advice both good and bad. Lots of ways not to do it till we came up with ways to do it correctly. 

Ventryjr

OP what are you using for power? 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Iwawoodwork

Mcguire please put what area you are from on your profile as that makes it easier to determine if there is some one/help in your area or now that you have become very knowledgeable could help others.

mcguire

So after many months (years), mistakes and lots of luck we have our sawmill running.. Not sure I would ever use BH Payne to hammer again, 6 weeks is excessive.

moodnacreek

You didn't communicate with us enough. Myself and others here could have given you so many ' bad' answers or suggestions and just caused more confusion. We didn't know your power, saw style or tooth style. Your lucky to get your saw hammered. Circle saws look real simple. You got fooled.

beenthere

mcguire
Hopefully you will have some video to post of your mill running. 
You've done a lot of work behind the scenes and the FF would enjoy seeing the fruits of your hard work. 

A good saw hammerer is busy. The not-so-good ... are not. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BUGGUTZ

I had the same problem. Ended up being the blocks were rolling back slightly. I removed the tension bolt and cleaned it up. Crammed a piece of copper in there and put the bolt back. Have not had an issue since.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

moodnacreek

Quote from: BUGGUTZ on August 29, 2021, 09:01:27 PM
I had the same problem. Ended up being the blocks were rolling back slightly. I removed the tension bolt and cleaned it up. Crammed a piece of copper in there and put the bolt back. Have not had an issue since.
That is the worst on a Bellsaw, no backstop ratchet. On the Bellsaw I had I made many modifications buy never fixed that problem.

Jim B

Ive done a bunch of modification to my head blocks and set works and made new tension guides for the bottom it works better and doesn't roll back like it used too

I saw a Mill on You Tube called Dixon that looks like a Bellsaw but set works and head blocks are a lot like a Lane Mill  I looked online for info but not much out there Anybody seen these

moodnacreek

With enough improvements a Bellsaw is handy in small logs. That's because there is no husk to get in the way for one man operation. The feed is much too weak but not all that hard fix. A double ratchet set works would make a huge difference.              I have heard of the Dixon sawmill but never saw one.  There was also a small rig called a Utilizer.

Thank You Sponsors!