iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is This Your Homemade Stamp?

Started by Don P, March 31, 2021, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Reported in GA. If it's yours, you just went nationwide and not in a good way, just sayin.

moodnacreek

I think I can do that if I saw it and sell it to the end user and only No. 2 and If the local building inspector approves my lumber for that project. But there would be no reason to stamp it but I have to submit paperwork.

Sawyerfortyish

So what's not a good way? Did they forget to pay someone a fee for allowing them to stamp there own lumber.

moodnacreek

From what I understand there are very few certified lumber inspectors so a fake one would not be cool.

Southside

What's the rest of the story? Asking for a friend. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I don't know much about these but that isn't a legit stamp. It doesn't identify the mill and it doesn't have a certification number. It just looks like a rubber stamp. SO what is the back story?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

YellowHammer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 31, 2021, 08:53:12 PM
I don't know much about these but that isn't a legit stamp. It doesn't identify the mill and it doesn't have a certification number. It just looks like a rubber stamp. SO what is the back story?
I agree. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

The sky high prices for framing lumber is incentifying some risky dodgy behaviour.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Half wonder if it's not a Chinese import thing. The new Prada. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Cmon.. People chop the cats off parked cars, have died cutting live copper lines, park over the gas pumps and fill totes in tinted cargo vans.  What so sacred about lumber?  Of course someone is gonna find an easier way to get the cheese.
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

711ac

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 31, 2021, 08:53:12 PM
I agree but at this point, without false mill and certificates it seems to me that it's about equal to a lumber crayon identifying that stick or pile.

sealark37

And, we all know that a licensed lumber grader inspected every 2x4 on that rail flatcar before he wrapped them.

Edvantage

So if I cut up someone's steer and mark the package as t-bone steak, hamburger etc. Does this make it wrong? Now if I marked it USDA choice or prime than I could see a problem. Regarding the lumber stamp it would really depend how the lumber was being marketed. Was the stamp an attempt to deceive or just labeling the product.

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on March 31, 2021, 10:11:24 PM
Half wonder if it's not a Chinese import thing. The new Prada.
I was thinking "import" as well, not specifically from China, and NZ has different grading and stamping, but with lumber prices in the US so high at the moment there must be an incentive to import some wood from anyplace it can be procured?  Could be radiata pine from Chile, and I have no idea how their grading works.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hamish

Unless its from a commercial mill, not every stick is going to be marked with HLGA markings.  If i ger a grader to grade my lumber he will mark a few here and there, how I choose to keep track of my lumber if pretty much up to me.  I have never seen a building inspector inspect very piece of lumber on a job site.  A grading approval for the lot will suffice.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Larry

SSMU is Small Saw Millers United

By the most famous ARKANSAWYER.  Think he said he got the stamp at Walmart. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

You can get a course for small saw millers up here to get your stamp. But you have to saw on your property in order the grade. Can't go off site and still be able to grade stamp it. And the grade stamp will have MLB on the stamp, the regional grading authority, plus your mill number and so on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Any stationary sawmill can do that, there is a hefty fee for oversight,"pop inspections" to make sure that you have looked at every stud on that traincar load. I've had the training but decided it is too expensive for me to stamp.

This email came from the national overseeing body and went out to everyone on their email list. If you do represent a grade without one of their agency's oversight, which was done here, that is not legal and is subject to enforcement.

Some states do have exceptions, check that out before representing wood for sale as having a grade. There are usually some hoops or training to jump through. You can also contact the nearest grading authority and have them grade on a per job basis. Some inspectors will accept a letter from an engineer as well. With the exception of Canada, imported lumber comes in under the oversight of one of the US or Canadian authorized grading agencies, everything I've seen came in under WWPA's stamp.

I have had bootleg stamped lumber turn up on a job, I don't go looking for stamps any more than the average inspector does. By the time I noticed it most of the wood was already in the frame. I looked it over and it was on grade or better so I chose to keep my mouth shut, order elsewhere and hope for the best. We passed but someone got busted. As an unwilling accomplice the builder pointed to the supplier who was sitting on a warehouse full of the now unsaleable lumber. The inspector has a great deal of latitude including "take that down and try again". I do not know how far upstream that went but I wouldn't expect folks to cover your rear if things do not go well.

SwampDonkey

I talked to a guy recently who used to work for a mill as a grader. I asked if he was trained and if he knew who the regional lumber grading authority was. Said yes, training at the mill under others, but never had a clue about a regional grading authority. This was in a large commercial softwood mill. I said how would you not know who Maritime Lumber Bureau was? I said they inspect. I said that mill needed bodies whether they were capable or not. It ain't around no more. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

azmtnman

The lumber grading industry itself may not be intentionally corrupt, but coupled together with the building code industry it has become the "pay-to-play" police. Nothing but extortion and tax!
  I understand the need for building codes (commercial buildings, contractors hired) but when they require me to buy something I can make myself or to pay someone an unreasonable amount to give me permission to use my own stuff, it steps on my "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness." 
  The whole "well, the next person that buys it....blah, blah, blah" is horse pucky! If I buy something and borrow from the bank, they are going to make me pay an inspector it inspect it. 

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

SawyerTed

This is an interesting topic.  I recently received a call from a "potential customer" who asked questions about the use of lumber off my mill, whether it would pass inspection, has it been used in residential or commercial construction and several other questions I found unusual for a potential customer.  Not one question regarding rates, sawmill capacity etc. After a bit of checking on my part, I learned the individual is an area building inspector.  

Of course my answers to his questions were my lumber could not be used for structural construction of residential or commercial buildings.  If he wanted to have lumber inspected it was up to him.  He could use the lumber in an agricultural building or outbuilding that did not require inspection or in cosmetic/decorative non-structural applications in residential or commercial construction. I am quite careful (to the point of being repetitive) with customers regarding this issue.  However, fitness for use/application is up to the customer in NC.  I just don't want there to be a misunderstanding.

I have heard through the grapevine, a previous customer used some lumber I cut in a structural application and the inspector was checking on how I advise customers.  I suspect it has been a contentious issue between them. 

On the original post in this thread, it appears that consumers need to be very careful now that there are lumber "knock offs" in the market.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Sounds like your building inspector wanted to work for the FBI instead.  Honestly, what you describe there reminds me of the lift kit, loud exhaust, dark window film that you can buy at most auto stores, install yourself, and never be legal on the road.  The judge won't let you then claim the retail shop didn't warn you of that when you get a ticket.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

It sounds like he was trying to get you to state suitability for a purpose, glad you declined his offer of entrapment. I hope Andy has his bullet safely tucked away.

I remembered another job and shady supplier, we got into the wood and it was well manufactured trash. Looked for a stamp, none, from a big mill that's #4, culls, no design values  ::).

Thank You Sponsors!