The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Is This Your Homemade Stamp?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Is This Your Homemade Stamp?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2021, 02:48:32 AM »
What the heck is wrong with a vertical log cabin?!!?
In the U.P. no less!
An inspector that was from down state who "retired" to dafter in the u.p.. Who became the buulding inspector for chippewa county who saw vertical log houses built on stumps and rocks around lakes he visited and figured they all rot. He didnt like em. He wanted me to have signed engineered drawings to proceed.  That would of cost more than it took to build the cabin.  Find an old very long topic called dreams of a cabin.
Need to factor resale into the picture and the situation gets clearer, and I'm sure you get it. Some of this stuff gets built with no regard to standards and the next owner gets holding the bag. Thus the "big brother"syndrome.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2021, 03:58:31 AM »
I think it is up to the buyer to do there due diligence. When I buy a piece of land it's not a requirement the boundary lines are marked, not required to have a road built up through the middle of it, not required to have every tree inventoried, not required to haul all the old junk iron hauled off it........... ::)  Some folks are just lazy and do everything sight unseen, a lot of that showing itself during the pandemic besides the ridiculous price people will pay for old structures needing a tonne of work. Most move on within 5 years of buying those old relics. Another thing that comes up is any time you have a requirement by law or government oversight on a project, the rates go up by the job or the hour. Put in a drain field and find out, for instance. A $5000 job will be $10,000 or more, I guarantee it. The whole thing invites being taken advantage of in your wallet. The tank system is only $1100 locally and the 2 tubes out from that are surely less than that for a bunch of plastic. Then your digging hours. Since most of us are not on sand, your going to be hauling sand for the field. At most, a half day job with a crew with their stuff together. But oh no, it has to be inspected before it is covered. And the inspector ain't going to be there the day your putting it together. Money money money.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »
Well we are always griping about the shortage of laborers around here.

If you plot out the growth of regulations as an American cultural phenomenon, cross reference that to the trend of 'everyone without an advanced degree is a loser' and then think back to the shortage of actual workers curve, it becomes clear that a lot of folks who didnt degree their way into the executive management wing as planned, found homes as inspectors, regulators and enforcers.  

A title and authority scratches a lot of small, cowardly people's itch for might and power.  That is not to say that all inspectors are that way.  It is to say people who are already like that will seek positions to wield.  When they get the authority, theyll flex it to medicate their powertrip.

I got $200/day fines from one such enforcer midgit without actually doing much of anything wrong.  That guy couldnt wait to jump on me.  Mailed me pictures of my house like every week.  Never man enough to knock on the door.   5'2" with lots of stories of intimidating people when i finally met him.  Wore that badge like a texas belt buckle.  Sherriff complex.  theyre a dime a dozen in mediocre power positions. 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2021, 05:59:46 AM »
My uncle had one in court. Sitting there on the stand with his knees up to his chest like a 4 year old, but with a smile on his face. It was a wonder the judge didn't instruct him to sit proper, that right there was an indicator that he was not going to be judged. They just shuffled him from Farm Credit to signing your drivers license and lived happily ever after. A real winner that one. Cost many farmers their livelihood and no accountability. The darkest days of modern times for rural NB was during Premier Mckenna's 2 terms of office. His biggest legacy was call centres that all failed. People who didn't have to deal with crap thought of him as their shiny haired boy. ::)

Offline PC-Urban-Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Been wasting time for seventy-two years...
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
Almost as bad as saying you're in for littering  

Yep, Arlo Gutherie found out how bad that was at Alice's Restaurant!!!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2021, 09:31:01 AM »
YH, if I have to go to the Big House, I want it to be for something that is a bit crazy and/or dangerous. Running drugs, armed robbery, grand theft auto...I'd hate to tell my cellmate I was in for restamping lumber😂😂
I agree, they figured nobody would care, I guess, certainly not the multimillion dollar subdivision builders and contractors who were unknowingly buying their counterfeit lumber and using it. :D ;)  For some reason, those people cared a lot, and came at them like a runaway train.

A classic case of how short term thinking can get someone in long term trouble.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2021, 09:59:58 AM »
All the parasites appear when real estate changes hands. About the only way around it is to have cash and know what you are buying. Then you can hardly touch the place without more parasites.  Everyone wants to be protected at someone else's expense and so we are here.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
Yeah, liability hot potato.  
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »
I told the inspector when he said his concern was not for me, but the next guy, I told him I didn't give s rat's _ _ _ about the next guy. When I'm gone, burn it with me in it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »
You gave him the the FB Jeff, every inspector's nightmare!😁 I don't know what business they have in hunting shacks and cabins anyhow. Thankfully (for me) Itasca County does not require building inspections. Some of the municipalities within the County do, but as long as you fall under county jurisdiction you are good. The only inspection I had to get was the MN state mandated electrical, and the County sewer inspection when we built our house.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2021, 08:01:32 PM »
All the parasites appear when real estate changes hands. About the only way around it is to have cash and know what you are buying. Then you can hardly touch the place without more parasites.  Everyone wants to be protected at someone else's expense and so we are here.
Thus most of the building codes, electrical codes etc are driven by the insurance industry.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »
All the parasites appear when real estate changes hands. About the only way around it is to have cash and know what you are buying. Then you can hardly touch the place without more parasites.  Everyone wants to be protected at someone else's expense and so we are here.
Thus most of the building codes, electrical codes etc are driven by the insurance industry.

Look at SDs example of drain fields. That is driven by the need to protect ground water and human health. That is an example where I feel 3rd party inspection is mandatory because polluted ground water doesnt just disappear and it becomes the problem of the neighbor whos well taps into the same aquifer downstream of the offender.  In the long term, pay an extra $5k for proper drain field/mound system installation is small potatoes compared to health issues that can be caused by fecal coliform.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2021, 04:29:29 AM »
Out in the country where your 1/4 mile of more from one another surrounded by open dry fields, no issues. In a subdivision in or adjacent to town, everyone one on an acre lot, the municipality has passed the buck onto the home owner since they don't want to pony up for water and sewer, but still looking for that $3000 a year tax. I don't think a housing development should be a bunch of wells and drain fields dotted up over a hillside. A health issue in the making.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2021, 06:27:30 AM »
Which is where zoning laws come into play. 
Lack of density won't keep many from pooping in their own water supply though. The house I'm working on is on acreage, the well and septic are within a step of each other, the drainfield is right there, by the creek and I've found a greywater line to the creek. A new well was drilled sometime later and after that someone cross connected the wells. Some days I just shake my head in wonder.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »
Don't assume the 1% of retards are in the same league as level headed rural folk. Government takes one case and blames us all for ignorance and stupidity. ;)

I've see lots of wash water lines on developed land, acre lots, coming out into ditches, that flow into streams and then into the river. Go for a walk on wash day, and smell the Tide and Gain soap. Government ain't making them fix their mess. ::)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2021, 08:31:51 AM »
  I'll probably get my peepee whacked for political incorrectness but Mike's comment reminded of the Saudization project on-going when I worked there. The country wanted their people working but they wanted them in positions of authority and not actually getting their hands dirty so we would have to hire them as janitorial supervisors even though they had no idea how to wash a window or clean a toilet or to teach others how to do so.

Another ideal spot was site security because they got to wear a uniform and tell others what to do. The only thing was I might come to work and find the gate locked because the guard heard about a goat grab where they were having a cookout at the other end of the site and locked up and went down to drink mint tea and eat grilled goat and rice off a big tray with his right hand. If I was lucky he had locked the gate - as often as not he just drove or walked off and left the gate open and unsecured.

For most of us supervisory positions come from experience doing that kind of work but that was not the case there where as soon as a baby is born it is handed off to a foreign maid to raise till it is old enough to become her boss.

This sounds like the inspector Mike is talking about to me. I am afraid we are raising a whole crop of them here now too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2021, 02:16:46 PM »
Don't assume the 1% of retards are in the same league as level headed rural folk. Government takes one case and blames us all for ignorance and stupidity. ;)
If it were 1% or even something under 50%, rural or urban, I'd be happy  :D. There's a whole lotta folks who think they know how things work till it gets down to doing it and then they realize what they know is just the Cliff notes version. That goes for the overseer's as well. That same build official I mentioned was a character. He fancied himself a master builder, architect, engineer and inspector. He also acted in all those capacities on county government jobs. Yup, no oversight needed if you're a god (little g  ::)). The new guy comes in and the next thing I know one of the projects that was unfinished gets red tagged at the next inspection. An engineer gets called in and being a public project I can pull up his report. Multiple major thinking problems, the roof would have collapsed probably sooner than later and I doubt it would have required a snow load, the guy was certifiable all right.
Usually, not always, but usually. When I hear folks really bucking inspections and then look at what they wanted to do or have done, same thing, rubber room ready, not a wayward trace of thought goin on in their little noggin. None of us likes an overseer, it chafes and rightfully so, but it doesn't take long to see what causes it.
My BIL was a pilot in Saudi when that was going on Howard. They wanted their folks in the left seat mighty bad, till they started running low on planes and folks willing to sit in the right seat  :D 
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
Once you start a house job, that's like hitting the green button for the inspectors to be all over the place. I remember when we dug the foundation, the earth moving crew boss man said, to the builder: 'This triggers this, triggers that, and so on down the line.' You'd think it started a war. What a bunch of....... ::)  We never had any troubles because everyone knew what they was doing and the house was double inspected because, the trades union I'll call it, has to be sure it's done to their spec for the Home Owner Warranty approval. Nothing to do with insurance and nothing to do with government inspections. Just another line of .....  ::) It's all about the money they can steal through legislation.

Offline Brob1969

• New Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2021, 06:08:23 PM »
I've been a general contractor for a good while now; I am also in Florida where the weather can have a detrimental effect on a structure.  Knowing the level of experience and care that some people have, I get that we need codes.
I have also run into situations where I had to do something differently and in a manner inferior to what I would have done had I not been dealing with inspections.  On more than one occasion I have had to educate an inspector on the jobsite; some took it really well as I often do unconventional builds that they've never seen using techniques with which they are unfamiliar.  I have also called an inspector to task and had to show them the proper code and then from then on they tried to find ANYTHING to write up.  I once called the mayor of a small town when a *pithed off inspector failed a final inspection on a county building because my HVAC guy forgot to put a piece of black tape on a white wire; I went to my truck and taped the wire while he was there and he told me "too late" on a Friday afternoon.  The building was to host an event where the mayor was to speak the following afternoon.  The inspector still had beef with me from a year prior when I pointed out the proper code on something he called incorrectly...and by no means was I disrespectful.  It was in black and white and he apparently didn't like being incorrect...

Codes are there for a reason for sure, but they are written by humans, interpreted by other humans, and therefore are far from perfect...
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
Yeah the codes and inspections aren't bad if the inspector isn't a jerk. To be honest, most I've worked with have been decent people and just trying to do right. 
Too many irons in the fire

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A Flying Stamp

Started by Jeff on General Board

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 11:41:11 AM
by Radar67
xx
New grade stamp

Started by Don P on General Board

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2002, 09:06:06 AM
by L. Wakefield