iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is This Your Homemade Stamp?

Started by Don P, March 31, 2021, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 04, 2021, 09:59:58 AM
All the parasites appear when real estate changes hands. About the only way around it is to have cash and know what you are buying. Then you can hardly touch the place without more parasites.  Everyone wants to be protected at someone else's expense and so we are here.
Thus most of the building codes, electrical codes etc are driven by the insurance industry.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Clark

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 04, 2021, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on April 04, 2021, 09:59:58 AM
All the parasites appear when real estate changes hands. About the only way around it is to have cash and know what you are buying. Then you can hardly touch the place without more parasites.  Everyone wants to be protected at someone else's expense and so we are here.
Thus most of the building codes, electrical codes etc are driven by the insurance industry.

Look at SD's example of drain fields. That is driven by the need to protect ground water and human health. That is an example where I feel 3rd party inspection is mandatory because polluted ground water doesn't just disappear and it becomes the problem of the neighbor who's well taps into the same aquifer downstream of the offender.  In the long term, pay an extra $5k for proper drain field/mound system installation is small potatoes compared to health issues that can be caused by fecal coliform.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Out in the country where your 1/4 mile of more from one another surrounded by open dry fields, no issues. In a subdivision in or adjacent to town, everyone one on an acre lot, the municipality has passed the buck onto the home owner since they don't want to pony up for water and sewer, but still looking for that $3000 a year tax. I don't think a housing development should be a bunch of wells and drain fields dotted up over a hillside. A health issue in the making.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Which is where zoning laws come into play. 
Lack of density won't keep many from pooping in their own water supply though. The house I'm working on is on acreage, the well and septic are within a step of each other, the drainfield is right there, by the creek and I've found a greywater line to the creek. A new well was drilled sometime later and after that someone cross connected the wells. Some days I just shake my head in wonder.

SwampDonkey

Don't assume the 1% of retards are in the same league as level headed rural folk. Government takes one case and blames us all for ignorance and stupidity. ;)

I've see lots of wash water lines on developed land, acre lots, coming out into ditches, that flow into streams and then into the river. Go for a walk on wash day, and smell the Tide and Gain soap. Government ain't making them fix their mess. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I'll probably get my peepee whacked for political incorrectness but Mike's comment reminded of the Saudization project on-going when I worked there. The country wanted their people working but they wanted them in positions of authority and not actually getting their hands dirty so we would have to hire them as janitorial supervisors even though they had no idea how to wash a window or clean a toilet or to teach others how to do so.

Another ideal spot was site security because they got to wear a uniform and tell others what to do. The only thing was I might come to work and find the gate locked because the guard heard about a goat grab where they were having a cookout at the other end of the site and locked up and went down to drink mint tea and eat grilled goat and rice off a big tray with his right hand. If I was lucky he had locked the gate - as often as not he just drove or walked off and left the gate open and unsecured.

For most of us supervisory positions come from experience doing that kind of work but that was not the case there where as soon as a baby is born it is handed off to a foreign maid to raise till it is old enough to become her boss.

This sounds like the inspector Mike is talking about to me. I am afraid we are raising a whole crop of them here now too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 05, 2021, 08:16:44 AM
Don't assume the 1% of retards are in the same league as level headed rural folk. Government takes one case and blames us all for ignorance and stupidity. ;)
If it were 1% or even something under 50%, rural or urban, I'd be happy  :D. There's a whole lotta folks who think they know how things work till it gets down to doing it and then they realize what they know is just the Cliff notes version. That goes for the overseer's as well. That same build official I mentioned was a character. He fancied himself a master builder, architect, engineer and inspector. He also acted in all those capacities on county government jobs. Yup, no oversight needed if you're a god (little g  ::)). The new guy comes in and the next thing I know one of the projects that was unfinished gets red tagged at the next inspection. An engineer gets called in and being a public project I can pull up his report. Multiple major thinking problems, the roof would have collapsed probably sooner than later and I doubt it would have required a snow load, the guy was certifiable all right.
Usually, not always, but usually. When I hear folks really bucking inspections and then look at what they wanted to do or have done, same thing, rubber room ready, not a wayward trace of thought goin on in their little noggin. None of us likes an overseer, it chafes and rightfully so, but it doesn't take long to see what causes it.
My BIL was a pilot in Saudi when that was going on Howard. They wanted their folks in the left seat mighty bad, till they started running low on planes and folks willing to sit in the right seat  :D 

SwampDonkey

Once you start a house job, that's like hitting the green button for the inspectors to be all over the place. I remember when we dug the foundation, the earth moving crew boss man said, to the builder: 'This triggers this, triggers that, and so on down the line.' You'd think it started a war. What a bunch of....... ::)  We never had any troubles because everyone knew what they was doing and the house was double inspected because, the trades union I'll call it, has to be sure it's done to their spec for the Home Owner Warranty approval. Nothing to do with insurance and nothing to do with government inspections. Just another line of .....  ::) It's all about the money they can steal through legislation.

Brob1969

I've been a general contractor for a good while now; I am also in Florida where the weather can have a detrimental effect on a structure.  Knowing the level of experience and care that some people have, I get that we need codes.
I have also run into situations where I had to do something differently and in a manner inferior to what I would have done had I not been dealing with inspections.  On more than one occasion I have had to educate an inspector on the jobsite; some took it really well as I often do unconventional builds that they've never seen using techniques with which they are unfamiliar.  I have also called an inspector to task and had to show them the proper code and then from then on they tried to find ANYTHING to write up.  I once called the mayor of a small town when a *pithed off inspector failed a final inspection on a county building because my HVAC guy forgot to put a piece of black tape on a white wire; I went to my truck and taped the wire while he was there and he told me "too late" on a Friday afternoon.  The building was to host an event where the mayor was to speak the following afternoon.  The inspector still had beef with me from a year prior when I pointed out the proper code on something he called incorrectly...and by no means was I disrespectful.  It was in black and white and he apparently didn't like being incorrect...

Codes are there for a reason for sure, but they are written by humans, interpreted by other humans, and therefore are far from perfect...
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

barbender

Yeah the codes and inspections aren't bad if the inspector isn't a jerk. To be honest, most I've worked with have been decent people and just trying to do right. 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

We installed a 3 phase, 1000 Amp entrance a number of years back, hooked it to a generator so not sure why I really needed a permit and inspection, anyway - when the inspector came he was walking through and commented that he "had never seen anything like this" which of course left me with a bad taste in my mouth that I just paid $100 to give a tour of my place.  Never bothered to pull a permit again when we had to do work there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wudman

When I started on my house years ago, I planned to serve as my own general contractor and do much of the work myself.  I called the building inspector and asked him what information he needed to issue the permit.  He listed the items that he needed from me.  I drafted my own plans for the house using  off the shelf software and had my brother in law (who worked for a commercial builder) print them full size for me.

When I went to the office to pull my permit, the building inspector was not there.  His Admin handled the process for me.  She flipped through my documentation and application.  "This is the most complete application and set of plans I have ever seen.  We have contractors through here all the time that don't have this information.  How did you know what we needed?"  My reply, "I called him and asked".  I walked out with my permit.  I had no problems with inspection during the building process.  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

metalspinner

Wudman,
I had a similar experience with my city's Board of Zoning and Appeals. 
My building is way larger than the 600sqft allowed without a Special Exception. So I went before them with full plans, etc. They even invited all of my adjoining neighbor's to the meeting - with a written invitation - to voice their concerns. 
Thankfully, I had all my ducks in a row and everything went well. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SawyerTed

I've found the same thing with building inspectors.  I ask how they want it  then do it exactly their way.  Usually they look and issue the inspection stamp and leave. If I have had something not pass, I call and they tell me exactly what to do. 

Acting dumb and being smart works,  at least for me with building inspectors. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

To follow up on that we learned pretty quickly to leave something not quite obvious, but not horribly hard to find during barracks inspections so the DI would feel successful, bust us, and be on his way.  Take our medicine and get back to work. Always figured they had done the same anyway.  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Well, I doubt this one is from anyone here :D;
They've sent pics of 3 or 4 others since that first one I posted. I guess their new admin is trying to encourage their agencies to keep looking. This one was from MN. I would think they would at least look at a legit stamp before making a rubber stamp. One pic that came through a few weeks ago I wouldn't have given a second glance, it looked legit.

Rybot

Oooohhh Russian wood...

As far as building codes/inspections go I understand their purpose and I believe they are beneficial in the right place....

As far as public/commercial buildings go I think they are beneficial. I do find comfort in going to work daily in a building that has been built to well established codes and safety guidelines.

In a rental situation (home or apartment) I think codes/inspections are also beneficial. When I rent a place I don't have a home inspection done. I hope that it was built properly by someone else.

In the case of a contractor building a home for a development or an individual customer I think they have their place (keeping the builder accountable).

In the case of an owner builder I have absolutely no use for them. 

If it were up to me codes/permits would be required for all of the above except owner/builder.

I think an owner/builder should be able to build without any permits or code requirements with the condition that they occupy the home for a set period of time immediately following construction (3-5 years) during which they cannot sell it or rent it or any portion of it out. After the "probation period" they could rent/sell it as if it were a permitted structure.

If an owner/builder wanted the option to rent/sell immediately after construction they would have two options 1) get a permit before construction like most of us have to already. 2) have a home inspection performed (much more extensive/expensive than a traditional home inspection) and a "certificate of structural soundness" issued. Keeping in mind that such an inspection could include removing drywall/siding or anything else necessary to allow a thorough inspection.

Rant over.

Daburner87

^I agree with that.  But an inspector shouldn't rely on graded lumber stamps alone.  He should be able to look at the lumber used, and be able to judge it right then and there on the spot.  Grading means nothing if you've seen what Home Depot/Lowes sells.

HM130Max Woodlander XL

alan gage

Quote from: Don P on July 28, 2021, 07:26:48 PM
This one was from MN.

If it's from MN maybe they belong to @barbender 
That's a good idea he had. I'm going to change my counterfeit lumber stamp to say "Made in China" to throw them off my trail.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

barbender

Haha no counterfeit lumber stamping is something I haven't gotten into yet😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

That's a good thing BB, since I am stamping mine with your info, best SYP to ever come out of MN.... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

You can learn some things by downloading the grading rules and then visiting the lumberyard. It's not what we know, its what we know that just ain't so. What I see generally meets grade... but I roll thru the stack cursing and picking my wood too. 

What many haven't noticed is the species combinations showing up in the big box are changing. What appears to be SPF is often european whitewood species. The european trees are weaker wood in most cases. I've not seen plans yet specifying them and they come in a mind numbing variety of strength values. Most folks, including inspectors, never notice the difference.

Just by the nature of what we require inspectors to do they cannot grade lumber or design things. It would be good if they did know more about grading and wood in general, but don't get me started :D. 

I don't think an uninspected house is necessarily equal or should be allowed a backdoor way in. Simply when it comes time to sell, it is disclosed. 

handhewn

I agree Don P.. I went from sawing lumber for many years to becoming one of fewer than one hundred in the nation (late 1980s) certified as a Building inspector, mechanical inspector, electrical inspector, plumbing inspector and combination inspector. Certified by I.C.B.O. and I.A.P.M.O. Having inspected over 10,000 structures, I can say there is some real garbage out there. I see some Hobbit huts in the woods that are superb in every way. I also see some normal looking city structures that look great but are real trash such as the house my son bought from a building inspector who spanned large areas of flooring with 2x4 joists. Because there are thieves AND cheats and good people who don't know construction, not to mention earthquakes, fires etc., we need code requirements. I live in the woods and have a sawmill. I have a cabin way back in the woods. I hate the requirements but they are a necessary evil.

maple flats

My thought on this whole topic is that lumber stamps are useless. Just look at what you see in stamped lumber in the big box stores, as a sawyer I'd never put out any product that looks that inferior.
In my state, I can certify my lumber as #2 or better, by submitting a letter so stating it. I agree, the building inspectors should be able to identify inferior lumber by sight and declare it unsuitable, whether it's stamped or not.
What you can get at the big box stores has a lot to do with why I bought a mill in the first place.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

beenthere

maple flats
What you see stamped in the box stores will indeed meet that grade. Just our perception what that grade should look like is different.
just sayin... after the stack is picked through and we see what is remaining, is for sure the very bottom of the grade, and may even include the 5% allowed that doesn't meet grade. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!