iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on a building.

Started by 711ac, April 22, 2021, 07:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

711ac

Finally got started on the fun part. 

thecfarm

At least you have the right tool for the job.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Heck yeah.  Beats luggin em on a ladder.
Praise The Lord

711ac

So far so good. The post are much easier to set than I expected working alone. 

I punched the holes for the screws and a smaller set of holes for the pole barn nails in the brackets. It really works out well simply hanging the post from the excavator with a set of tongs, get it close and work it into the bracket by hand, then a short pipe clamp holds it enough to level it and keep it there while it fasten it. 

mike_belben

Slick system youve got there.
Praise The Lord

711ac

Thanks Mike, it's definitely a Johnny Cash-one piece at a time designed around the scrounged materials on hand building. 
"run what you brung" right 😆

jpassardi

The building is looking good.

Is that an amulet thumb? How well do those psuedo-mechanical thumbs work?

I have a large mechanical on my Excavator and a hydraulic on my backhoe. I built both of them, the hydraulic is quite an advantage.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

711ac

Yes on the Amulet thumb. I put it on soon after I bought the machine. Being a "gray market" machine I assumed that the proper valves and piping would be an expensive wild goose chase but this was probably 20 years ago and since then I've never had a problem getting parts from JD-Nortrax. At worst, next day for a few seals.
I'd prefer a hyd thumb but I have no complaints about the Amulet. The main reason is there's a fixed distance away from the machine that the tips of the bucket and thumb are both on the ground just like a rigid thumb, but this only matters with smaller rocks, sticks, etc.

The posts are set on the back half now. Just 7 left on the front half but there's a 18' opening that I need to build a header/truss kinda thing.

711ac

Still working on it, the high visual progress part is over, especially with a one man crew😆

I got the end wall posts trimmed and a top plate on and the diagonal bracing done. Next is a long ledger to catch the roof rafters for the lean to shed on the woods side (back) and I'm putting in a 6x8 "strongback" across the 5 center posts on the inside of that back wall. 

VB-Milling

Looks like its coming together as you planned.  Any big surprises so far during framing?  Did your layout work out?

I need more land....100x100 isn't going to cut it for much longer!
HM126

711ac

I am discovering that I need to do a bunch of work on my bar joists to transition to wood. Nothing really difficult but I'll be adding 200+ "tabs" to fasten the perpendicular framing for the roof. They'll all have to line up (joists to joist) so that things stay square. It's all good. 

Bruno of NH

Go to a drywall supply shop.
They have clips you can buy cheap and get some Tec  screws and screw the clips to the bar joist.  
I have done that with my friend that owns a big metal framing company.
I used to help him on some big jobs back in the day.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

711ac

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 24, 2021, 05:18:10 PM
Go to a drywall supply shop.
They have clips you can buy cheap and get some Tec  screws and screw the clips to the bar joist.  
I have done that with my friend that owns a big metal framing company.
I used to help him on some big jobs back in the day.
Man Bruno that was what I was looking for, Thanks.
I didn't know where to find them and was going to fabricate something. I even stopped by a welder buddy thinking that was an "accessory" that would come from the bar joists people but I've never seen one around here in my travels, I thought he might know of a supplier. 
I do know where a good commercial drywall supplier is that I've bought some structural steel studs for a big rolling door frame I built. 👍

Bruno of NH

I have some and will take a picture of them
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

711ac

Testing 123, been so long (shamefully) I had a hard time finding it.

711ac

...continued
Wow it's been since the end of June! My apologies to those that may have been following along. Then there's the pics on the phone, not my strong point. Then I couldn't find it because it's been sooo long.
I'm under roof as of a couple of weeks ago, finally. That included a drive down to PA to buy the metal and over. 100' of rolling door track. Saved over $1500 and got to visit with my daughters as a bonus.

Now that I've re-learned posting pics (and with the right orientation :D) these kinda filled in the blanks of the last few months. Summer was hot and that building is dead in the sun all day long. I mostly do these type of projects because I like to build. As I've gotten older I HATE the heat, that takes the fun out of it for me and I pretty much took 2 months off hoping to get it under roof before snow. I almost made it. The only help that I've had was the concrete man at the beginning, I kinda like it that way especially with this weird combination of materials and finding solutions along the way. 
 I've got to saw some fascia boards and do the soffits then the siding. I've just started gathering logs for that, it will be Hemlock. My local pine mill that I usually buy from is swamped and their loggers aparently are not on pine lots, They are buying logs @$450/1000 which I've been told is a record setting figure. They are having a hard time keeping up with their "bread and butter" customers and don't have time for me. I understand completely.

If my "figuring" is correct, I'll need about 12-14 12' logs. I'm working on gathering them before I need to convert my tractor to snowplowing duty. The framework the plow attaches to drops my clearance at the front to about 10". Not ideal in the woods not to mention I drop the loader.

711ac

I am planning in 1x12 (vertical) for the siding boards. Right now once I have my logs, I'm planning on sawing for a day, then nailing them on, repeat. No battens - yet, if the shrinkage is not wild it may not get them at all. I've never used Hemlock for "barn" siding before, only Tulip Poplar when I lived down in the mid atlantic reigon. 
Any tips or problems with a 12" wide Hemlock board?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

richhiway

Tell us about your log trailer? Thks
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

711ac

That's a buddy and his rig. I was highly impressed with it with that log in the picture. I skidded the logs out a couple hundred feet to him. It's about a mile back up to the mill and my project. His complaint is the reach, you really need to be right on top of the logs..

bobnic

Quote from: 711ac on December 10, 2021, 06:11:22 PM
I am planning in 1x12 (vertical) for the siding boards. Right now once I have my logs, I'm planning on sawing for a day, then nailing them on, repeat. No battens - yet, if the shrinkage is not wild it may not get them at all. I've never used Hemlock for "barn" siding before, only Tulip Poplar when I lived down in the mid atlantic reigon.
Any tips or problems with a 12" wide Hemlock board?
!2" is pretty wide and putting them up green you will definitely need some battens unless you can live with 3/8' to 1/2" gaps once they dry out.  Best to install them pith side out and two screws or nails spaced a couple inches either side of the center.  Installing pith side out means the center of the board will try to cup outward with the edges pressed tight against the framing.  Keeping the fasteners close to the middle holds the board tight and minimizes the chance of shrinkage cracking.  If you do install battens, also do it pith side out and only one screw or nail in the center passing thru the gap between the boards.  Again the cupping of the battens will press their edges against the boards.  Board and batten works great with green hemlock if installed per above.
Thomas 2413

mike_belben

Any idea on the HP or tractor model and how many cord or bdft it pulls out in one pass?
Praise The Lord

711ac

Quote from: mike_belben on December 11, 2021, 07:35:34 PM
Any idea on the HP or tractor model and how many cord or bdft it pulls out in one pass?
Mike I guess that was directed to me, the tractor hooked to the log trailer is a m 7040. The one with the 3pt grapple is a m9540,
both Kubotas 70 & 95 hp. I built the grapple-winch (hyd) thingy for gathering firewood for my own use and because I love building stuff. The tractor is armored underneath and I estimate that it's a solid 6 ton at least. It pulls pretty good, especially in our gravelly soils, the part (or weak link) that concerns me is the load on the top link. I've had no trouble, but my loading being about 6' rearward is in my estimation, is out of a typical ag situation and was probably not considered by the factory engineers. It's the castings on the rear that would be a catastrophic failure and it's always a consideration in the back of my mind.
I'm usually wrangling pecker poles under 10-12" thinning my woods. This property was last owned by a logger and the big wood is gone.
So I really can't answer your production question, my high productivity days (for anything) were a good 10 years ago.  ;D

711ac

I guess I've become only a "fair weather builder". 
Between getting ready for the snow and 3 hours of daylight (not really)  and getting old...
I've managed to cut hopefully enough logs for the siding. It is my intention to work on this over the winter. Cut a few logs and when my ADD kicks in, go and nail them up, repeat. 
Have a great Christmas fellas! 
<br

10* a few days ago with our first snow (6") now a lovely freezing rain.  :-\

thecfarm

I built a horse run in with 10 inch hemlock. Cut down the trees, saw them into boards, then build with them. Sometimes in less than 2 hours. That way no stacking of lumber.
I used 4 inch batten. I saw the 10 inch boards and 4 inch battens on a small shed that I drove by on the way to work. I really liked the looks of it. Took me a few months before I saw someone outside to ask what he used.

I hang my hat up for size.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!