Sponsors:

Gravy

Started by Dan_Shade, April 29, 2021, 07:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

How do you make your gravy, multiple entries allowed 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dgdrls

old fashion way in the roasting pan with corn starch, pepper, salt,

Or St Huberts for hot Chicken sandwiches

D

sawguy21

I have never been good at making gravy. Mom made it with a roux, a rich brown gravy that we loved but I have never duplicated. A lot of American restaurants serve a thin brown liquid which while good never measured up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

I don't attempt to make gravy as I do not think I could get the lumps down to bite size.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

RichTired

Hot oil in a cast iron pan, add enough flour to absorb the oil, brown, add milk and thicken. Add a little salt & pepper and serve...  8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

sprucebunny

Or hot butter in any pan, add flour, cook till it foams, add stock or pan drippings and/or milk and stir til almost boiling again. Don't boil.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Larry

Walmart Great Value brown gravy in a packet for 30 cents.  Just boil water.  Comes out perfect every time!!!!

On second thought, maybe I need to find a girl that knows how to cook. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I think you are a wise man spending 30 cents.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

I always either over do the flour, which makes the gravy taste like bread or don't use enough which leaves grease floating on the top of the gravy.

It's a bit easier when using cornstarch 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Dan, get you some House Autry Chicken Breader to make the roux.  It is seasoned and makes great gravy that you do not have to add any seasonings to.  Equal parts oil/butter to House Autry, cook in skillet until the House Autry is golden brown, then add water until you get the consistency that you want.  Very tasty.  You will need to add a good bit of water so the gravy is not too thick. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I start with a pan that has just been used to fry up a couple of pork chops, chicken, or steak, and has some scorching and a little fat left in the bottom!

I add about 3 cups of water and turn the burner on, bringing the mix to a boil!

In a bowl, I put about a cup of cold water and mix in a good table spoon (maybe a little more) of flour, and stir until it's completely mixed and no lumps!

By this time, the pan on the stove should be in a rolling boil.

Using a flat wooden spatula, I slowly scrape at the bottom of the mix in the pan, loosening everything!

Now, while continuing the stirring I slowly add a little of the flour/water mix, get it stirred in, then add a little more, and so on, until the desired thickness is reached.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Chuck White on April 30, 2021, 08:17:41 AM
I start with a pan that has just been used to fry up a couple of pork chops, chicken, or steak, and has some scorching and a little fat left in the bottom!

I add about 3 cups of water and turn the burner on, bringing the mix to a boil!

In a bowl, I put about a cup of cold water and mix in a good table spoon (maybe a little more) of flour, and stir until it's completely mixed and no lumps!

By this time, the pan on the stove should be in a rolling boil.

Using a flat wooden spatula, I slowly scrape at the bottom of the mix in the pan, loosening everything!

Now, while continuing the stirring I slowly add a little of the flour/water mix, get it stirred in, then add a little more, and so on, until the desired thickness is reached.
This is how I do it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

My wife, an exceptional cook, makes sausage gravy after shes fried bacon & sausage using fat left behind and flour. I the guy with 3 stents uses no grease, and sausage thats had the fat squeezed out in a paper towel then to the hot crumbled sausage I toss on some flour coating the meat well, then pour in milk and stir with a SS whish tool that has a spring wire in it's base (Nada knives) and stir until it's thick. No lumps unless your too lazy to chase the few down. I use a tad of Worchestershire sauce and Jerk sauce I bought in Jamaica. She uses Kitchen Boquet gravy liquid sometimes if not much meat flavor in the pan such as already said. 
I used to make SOAS for my sons when we had to bach it-used hamburger ala Army style on toast-I love the stuff!
Cheddar's Rest. has a VG chicken dish with good gravy on it too.   Wife also uses beef or chicken broth from a can sometimes in gravy. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!