iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Kiln Dried wood

Started by Jstier, May 05, 2021, 09:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

Getting ready to run my Nyle Kiln for the first batch of wood. Curious when completed should I store the wood inside my garage on racks. I have a fear of bugs getting back into the wood after I sterilize it. How do you guys store your wood after the kiln.  

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Appreciate that the lyctid powderpost beetles are not flying for miles, but need to be in very close contact with the new lumber they will infect.  So, Jeep the storage area free of any hardwood lumber.  Sweep any debris up and do an excellent job.  Cover the piles with plastic and try to seal the covers so the insect cannot get in.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

The only way to be sure is inside a building with the doors closed.  As bad as powder post beetles are, putting wood inside also protects from carpenter bees, carpenter ants, snakes, birds, bird poop, scorpions, spiders, wasps, moisture, and various other nasties.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 09, 2021, 11:50:32 AM
The only way to be sure is inside a building with the doors closed.  As bad as powder post beetles are, putting wood inside also protects from carpenter bees, carpenter ants, snakes, birds, bird poop, scorpions, spiders, wasps, moisture, and various other nasties.  
I had a friend over last summer looking at my slabs when he lean one out of the rack a black snake fell on his shoulder. :o
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!