iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Grain tearing

Started by batesvillebuck, June 15, 2021, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batesvillebuck

Hello, just recently started doing some small mugs, etc on a lathe.  Having a lot of trouble with end grain tearing out on some of the different species.  Any tricks to keep this from happening?

btulloh

Razor sharp tools help. A power strop for the final step. 

With that piece on the left end the grain orientation guarantees tear out thought. In a piece like your mug there's so many grain variations that it'll be a fight all the way to the finish line. Higher speeds and sharp edges can help. I hate to use sandpaper but that may the only way to cleanup at the end. Then buff. 

Nice looking piece. Lot of end grain there to fight with!
HM126

Larry

When I turn, every cut I make is a practice cut for my final cut.  By that I mean as soon as I get the project round I try a cut to see how clean it is.  So, if I was using a bowl gouge on your project I would try a push cut, than a shear slicing cut, and finally a shear scraping cut.  If one was better than the rest that would be the cut I used near the end.  If none of the cuts were good I might switch to a spindle gouge and see what that does.

Sometimes none of the cuts work, especially in punky wood.  Than you can try to stiffen the fibers.  I normally do that with sanding sealer but you can also use thined lacquer wiped on, or even ca glue.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

low_48

ron barnes

As stated above, sharp tools,  higher speed and sandpaper as required.

batesvillebuck

low_48, I am using Simple Woodturning Tools (all new, full size carbide insert tools): simple roughing tool to get it round, then simple turning & hollowing tool to get to finished size.

Thank You Sponsors!