iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing guitar parts

Started by farmfromkansas, June 19, 2021, 02:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on June 22, 2021, 10:41:33 AM
As I read through this thread I realized just how infinite the number of off tunnels there are down this rabbit hole.  Interesting  thread. :)
Indeed! I once sat through a breakfast panel discussion at a Luthier's show and listened to about 8 world class luthiers 'discuss' (sometimes argue) what the proper glues were to use in certain instrument applications, how they were prepared, mixed, heated, cooked, applied, clamped, and dried. Also the best techniques to remove and separate said glue joints. It made my head spin. :) :) :) Nobody mentioned it, but I half expected one of them to talk about waving a dead chicken over the gluepot, but then again, those guys never share their innermost secrets.  ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

farmfromkansas

Forgot to mention Box Elder, but have yet to find a decent tree on the place.  Usually it is decayed when I find it with the red stripe.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Woodpecker52

Bluesmen in Mississippi just use to nail a few wires on the house posts and pluck away.  I have seen some use a broom handle and wooden cigar boxes, would also make drums out of plastic hydraulic buckets and steel oil drums.  They would all be on the porches playing and watching the chickens under the boards.  Lots of good music came from those porch, and backdoor  observations.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

LeeB

I didn't saw out the slab but it came from a sycamore slab I gave to my neighbors nephew so he could try his hand at
 guitar building. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kwaldron199

We were in the business of musical instruments for a number of years. Here is a jpg of a 3D CNC neck file with some dimensions. 14 Fret Martin Style OM/OOO layout file. Also including photo's of Osage Orange, Walnut, Cherry, Curly Maple guitars and 1 curly maple mandolin, and one curly maple violin. We tried and used many more local woods for all kinds of instruments as we built double bass, violins, mandolins, guitars, ukuleles, and a number of other instruments.  Quarter sawn is always best for instrument, off quarter will work and depending on the string pull even flat sawn of some species and some types of instruments will work.... instruments like ukulele have by far less tension on the neck than a steel string guitar. We always used truss rods or graphite for neck reinforcement on anything that was questionable.  

kw

Kevin
Wood Mizer LT50HD wide
Kotter 1,000 Bd Ft Kilns
Large shop with everything imaginable including mills, saws, molders, large CNC, Lasers, etc.

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Satamax

Quote from: farmfromkansas on June 22, 2021, 08:05:39 AM
Thing is, I want to build using woods that grow on my farm.  Spruce doesn't grow here.  We have bur oak, ash, hackberry, walnut, mulberry, osage orange,elm, juniper, cottonwood.  Probably a few trees I don't recall right now. Tempted to put a walnut face on it.  Saw a really cool oak faced guitar someone was playing on tv one time, had the grain angled like a V shape, and had amazing rays on the front.
If you can find big enough trees, i would say go for walnut back and sides, and i think i would try a juniper top. IIRC Osage Orange has been used in guitars too. https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Osage+Orange+guitar&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj-fvMgLLxAhUM3IUKHc45AFIQjJkEegQICBAC&biw=1280&bih=616
There is a few example of hackberry acoustic guitars, 
And a fantastic looking mulberry guitar from cf Martin. 
Guitars out of Bur oak, ash, and elm, that has also been done before. 
Cottonwood, i wouldn't touch. 
By the way, i think buying a book about guitarmaking would be a good idea. One i love! 
Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology, A Complete Reference for the Design & Construction of the Steel-String Folk Guitar & the Classical Guitar by Cumpiano, William; Natelson, Jonathan D.: Very Good Hardcover (1987) 1st Edition, Signed by one of the Authors | Books from the Past
Also exists in paperback. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

farmfromkansas

I have some pieces of that curly walnut like the one example.  And did buy a book. Guess the next thing is find some time, and just try building one.  The scarf joint is a good idea.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Satamax

In French, sorry! 

le Bois de Lutherie ( extrait ) - YouTube

There the extended version in the links if you watch it on youtube. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Old Greenhorn

That's an interesting way to do QS. I wish I knew what species they were sawing. Looks like it might be spruce.
 Do those other videos carry the process further?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

I fell in the rabbit hole a little bit and found this one from the same channel. All in French but it shows some of the process in what I think is a luthier's school of sorts. Probably a working shop that takes on apprentices which is still the most common way this trade is passed on today. These folks are making fiddles (I imagine they call them violins  ;D ) and there are some good pieces where they show the amount of carving involved and tool usage, etc. Making a flat top guitar of modern design does not require these steps but I was always fascinated by the amount of have carving required to make arch tops of any kind, cellos, violins, bass, guitars, or mandolins. Fascinating and tedious work.
Stage de Lutherie à Fertans ( Franche-Comté ) - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!