iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade speed

Started by welderskelter, July 21, 2021, 01:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I put a piece of masking tape on my blade. I cranked the mill wide open, I counted the times it came over in 15 seconds. 30 x 4 gives me 120 times a minute. My blade is 14.5 ft. long.It figures out at 1740 ft. per minute. That cant be right can it? It seems like it runs fast enough but will faster make it run better? Maybe if one of you guys figure it you can tell me if it is right or not. Help

KirkD

There is a band speed calculator in the tools on the board. If you go up to Extras, Tool Box, Machine Index and click on Band speed calculator you will see you can put in your Drive pulley diameter, Motor RPM, Driven Pulley diameter and Band wheel diameter it will calculate the band speed to see if your experiment worked.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

welderskelter

I was trying to get around all that beings I dont know how fast that old kohler is running and I also have a belt to figure and a chain drive after the clutch. I suppose if I find the engine speed then I will have to look that up. Thanks

Southside

Download a tachometer app onto your phone to get a reasonably accurate RPM for your drive wheel. With that and the circumference you can determine FPM. 1740 seems slow to me. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

JoshNZ

You only saw the tape pass twice per second..? That alone sounds very slow to me

welderskelter

Ok, so I am slower than I thought. I guess I cant count as fast as I thought. I used a bale counter from a baler I have here.  I used it to count the revolutions on the drive wheel. It was turning at 460 rpm. Best I can figure I am turning at a little better than 3000 ft. per min. Thats better than the 1740 I thought. Will probably leave it the way it is for now because the old motor is tired. When I put on the 20 hp. I will speed it up some. Thanks for the responses. Harold.

GAB

According to the W-M Sawmill Safety, Setup, Operation & Maintenance Manual on page 1-6 (HDdoc012405):
The no load blade speed for the G25 is 5330 sfpm, for the D33, D34, & G36 it is 5700 sfpm.
Hope this helps.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

That poor bale counter... must have been thinking you lost your mind.  :D  FWIW my 70 runs at 5400 FPM band speed.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

welderskelter

I bet that bale counter thought that the old baler had a kinipshion fit. :D Dont know if that is how it is spelled. 

Thank You Sponsors!