The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Is there a better way to sticker?  (Read 870 times)

Offline bushhog920

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Is there a better way to sticker?
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
I've been stickering by hand in my small operation even with two people it get almost too much especially when you get chest high. This is also my biggest bottleneck I'm to the point of getting a 500lbs bridge crane that will cover a 20'x50' area and I can sort and lift each layer at once and walk it to the correct stack. Looking for ideas to better automate this process for under the $10k range.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Is there a better way to sticker?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:18:56 AM »
good morning.  I remove the stack of wood from the mill with forks, and can then sticker off the forks.  when stacked and banded, then move it to the location I want.  if you make pallets that line up then you can stack until you are done with the height, then start a new pallet and stack it on top.  that is if you have forks on a bucket on one of you tractors.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 07:16:36 AM »

I stack a couple of 2X4's or a 4X4 between each lift.  I have found that a skylift/telehandler is the best style loader for handling and stacking lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
Have you made a sticker box? A box with the right end open and ribs on the back to line stickers up. 4x4s on bottom to lift stack out, the left end closed to hold boards against.

I went with pallets as I am slow/own-use type mill. I move the pallets about double stack.

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:50:02 AM »
IMHO if I had 10k to throw at this issue Id install a long greenchain rather than a bridge crane. Send everything down the chain and slide directly into pack where required, jogging the chain back and forth to avoid walking.

You could probably pick up a second hand semiauto racking machine for that out the change... second hand greenchain goes cheap at every mill closure.

It's just one of those boring monotonous essential tasks in the production of lumber. And it is essential... and attention to detail here does pay because the best sawing job in the world can be undone by a halfhearted stickering job. Get it right and your timber lays flat in the stack and flat when dry and you can dry bowed boards straight. Take shortcuts and you can dry a bend in timber that came off the saw flat.

I don't like pallets, I strap dunnage to my packs instead. It's all the same thing.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
Pallets and forklifts.  Lots and lots of pallets (or dunnage).  The lumber come off the mill, goes on a pallet, and never comes off.  Here's a picture from a mill down the road.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline bushhog920

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »

thanks for the replies I have a system similar to what you suggested. I have 2 bobcats and a moffett forklift that I couldn't get by without what I'm looking for is to step up my game to something more ergonomic than sliding boards off forks you are still having to pick up each board one at a time. 

Offline handhewn

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 12:21:41 PM »
Any suggestions on how I might utilize my two 12' bed boom trucks (one with extendo boom) in the milling operation I am setting up. I do not have a forklift. If I slide lumber right off the mill onto a boom truck stickering as I go, I could then move/lift/place the stack anywhere. Anyway, that's the plan for now unless somebody has a better idea. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what sort of contraption I could use to connect the single lift cable to a stickered stack of lumber?

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »
the roofing industry has trucks to deliver pallets of shingle and make an off set fork rig that can be lifted at a single point.  I will try to search but do not know what they are called.  @customsawyer used the drag back and conveyor/rollers and the boards off the mill fall into place with more scootin than lifting.  still had one guy offloading/stickering.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
Drywall/wallboard loaders act the same way.

Wonder if you can just buy the articulating fork attachment at the very end  8)

Drywall / Wallboard Cranes for Sale & Rent ? Custom Truck One Source
HM126

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »

no price on this one.  another company whos name I will not mention had similar for about 2 to 3 K.  Looks like you could make one custom for your crane and pallet style.  Need to check you lift limit a length to see if you crane/trolley system could handle it plus the weight of the wood.

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »
I wouldn't make my stacks that high.  I would start my stacks on a table so the first row is about knee high, then stackthe pile about 3 feet higher.  Then move the stack for storage/drying and stack them 2 or 3 stacks tall with 4x4's between each stacks to make room for forks.  That way you never have too bend over too far or reach too high while stacking.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 09:35:34 PM »
Those telestick forks have their place but are an exercise in frustration on anything but flat and level. If you don't need to boom a forklift is much more fun.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 12:43:31 AM »
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

no price on this one.  another company whos name I will not mention had similar for about 2 to 3 K.  Looks like you could make one custom for your crane and pallet style.  Need to check you lift limit a length to see if you crane/trolley system could handle it plus the weight of the wood.
Over here, you can have a brand new one for 750Ä About 890 dolls. 
They are indeed an exercice in frustration, using those on your own. A plus would be to have a  "rotator" 
Teleboom, telescopic forklift, telehandlers or whatever you call them, are great. But you need the space to move. 
Bushhog920. 
Here is your solution! :D 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Online Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:44 AM »
All jokes asside. 

May be an inclined surface on forks of a forklift, onto which you could load at the mill, with boards. Turn the forklift, then raise the inclined surface just above the last stickers you have laid, and push the boards on top of those. May be that could be done just with the forks of a telescopic forklift. Time consuming i would think. 

See the TS manufacturing video above. They slide the board onto the stickers.  May be there is a way to do that on the cheap. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
To Sticker or to Not Sticker

Started by vfauto on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 10:40:41 AM
by drobertson
xx
Do i have to sticker right away

Started by Jeremy2200 on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 05:43:40 AM
by fishpharmer