iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire loading

Started by wbrent, July 23, 2021, 06:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbrent

I have a Kioti 7320 I use around the property logging a bit, loading logs on mill, and then just general hobby farm stuff. Looking into loading my rear tires and discovered it's not that simple. Some say put on a tube first. Some say don't. Some say CaCl some say beet juice. Some say glycol. Some say put a weight on the back. What say you all?  

69bronco

My rims rotted out around the valve stems from the salt. I ended up cutting pieces out to make 1 good one, had to buy 1 new one. I put tubes in and they filled with windshield washer fluid. Do yourself a favor, when you have the rims off. Weld a short piece of 3"or so pipe over the valve stem. If your in the woods much, your bound to rip a valve stem off sooner or later.

Chuck White

Kubota tractors in this area are loaded tubeless and with molasses!

Most other brands are loaded with something new, seems calcium chloride is a thing of the past in tires!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yes you will...

And it's no fun when you are a mile back in your woods.  Heck, it's no fun if you are close.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Check with your tire dealer and see what they're using. CaCl is out these days because it eats the rims. Beet juice or some glycol formula is the way to go. Whichever is available. 

You can weld some sort of guard on the outside to protect the stem if you want. 

If they're tubeless now, just stick with that. No tubes necessary. 
HM126

mike_belben

Stop by the place that sells used tractor tires, find the greasiest guy in the shop and ask him what materials prevent an internal boot from bonding and which ones dont.  

Sooner or later a stick is gonna explore the interior. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

It's expensive, but foam will ensure you never have a flat, and it's danG heavy to boot. 

I absolutely abused a foamed tire on my Lull to the point the foam was exposed. When we cut it off it still looked new. Amazingly tough stuff. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Beet juice. No calcium.  It's no fun when you poke a hole in a tire and try to get sitting where you can deal with the problem, makes a sticky fountain mess, but works well as ballast and my rims look new inside  after 18 years on my smaller tractor. Cleans off fine with water when you accidentally let it loose. 
Foam would be great but no one close doing it.

Joe Hillmann

Don't put salt in your tires.  Every old tractor I have had has had rotted rims(and tires)from years of salt.

I just spent about 8 hours last Friday rebuilding a rim that was rotted out from salt  When I got the tire off rim I bet about 2 pounds worth of the rim came away with the bead of the tire and another couple pounds of rust had to be chiseled/wire brushed/ground off the rim.  Then about 1/4 of the rim had to be cut away to get back to steel that was thick enough to weld on.  And after all that I still had a crap tire and rim and my hope is it last long enough if I baby it that I can find replacements for it.  The worst part is I doubt putting fluid in the tires added more than 150 pounds to the weight of the tractor.  It seems like I could very easily bolt on some scrap iron down low that would weigh more than the fluid in the tires and not cause the rims to rot away.

I also really like the idea of welding something to protect the valve stem when in the woods,  Many many times I have been in a tight spot and have to lean over the tire to see where the valve stem is when my sidewall rubs against a log/tree/brush to see if I can push through it or if I have to back up to get in a different positon to protect the valve stem.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Southside on July 23, 2021, 11:19:06 AM
It's expensive, but foam will ensure you never have a flat, and it's danG heavy to boot.

I absolutely abused a foamed tire on my Lull to the point the foam was exposed. When we cut it off it still looked new. Amazingly tough stuff.
What happens when the tire is worn out and you need to replace it?  Does the entire rim and tire need to be replaced or can the tire be separated from the rim and reused?

Southside

Cut off the tire and foam core with a sawzall, two cuts, 90 degrees apart from each other and the whole thing falls right off the rim. 

There was nothing left of that Lull tire, I expected the foam to be all broken down and crumbled but it didn't have a scratch. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Same here.  I ran the bobcat completely on foam with no tire left for a while.  Sawzall the tire and donut off. About 20 minutes, wasnt bad. 

Extremely heavy. 
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

I just use a mix of antifreeze and water.  They make a T fitting where one end is submerged in a Prestone jug and the other hooked up to a garden hose. The tip goes on the valve stem, and turn on the spigot.  Instant water/antifreeze mix.  The antifreeze will also prevent corrosion.  

I've used the leaded foam, also.  It's probably the best, but it's more expensive.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lostinmn

We are just hitting the 50 hour service on our LS MT375 and will be having tires filled with windshield washer fluid.  Slightly more expensive, but avoids the salt corrosion is what the dealer advised. 

mike_belben

You can probably come out pretty well buying bulk washer fluid yourself.  Any truckstop manager should be happy to share the contact info of the distributor that services them by barrel or tote.  They buy tons of it and dispense it freely at the diesel island so im sure theyve shopped around pretty hard for the best deal.
Praise The Lord

Joe Hillmann

A couple things to consider before putting any fluid in your tires.

How do fluid filled tires behave at road speeds?  If the tractor always stays on your property it may not matter, but if you drive it a few miles down the road on occasion it may.

If you haul your tractor on a trailer is your current truck and trailer able to handle the extra weight of fluid in the tires? 

Andries

Quote from: wbrent on July 23, 2021, 06:06:38 AM. . . .    Some say put a weight on the back. What say you all?  
I've got 2000 lbs of concrete out back.
That blocks the use of the PTO and 3pt. hitch, so . . . .

Each cast-iron weight is 280#, I'll add enough fluid to the wheels (glycol) to make up the difference to get 2000# back onto the butt end.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

dustyhat

Do the weld on pipe and pipe cap first, then any big truck repair and service garage can get you 55 gallon barrels of windshield wiper fluid. pump it full and your good to go.

moodnacreek

Beet juice.  Foam is very expensive and although heavy the tires loose traction to some degree. It is not the same as liquid and air that give the most traction.  

Tom King

Never any worries driving mine down the highway, at top speed, with fluid in the tires.  I don't know what it is.  It was in the tires when I bought the tractor used.  I put new tires on it, and was surprised how fast they pumped it out of the old ones, and back in the new ones.  Inside of 1979 rims still looked new.  55 gallons in each 28" tire.

thecfarm

I have a 1954 Ford NAA that still has salt in the tires. My Father bought it in 1954, original rim, never had to fix the rims because of salt rusting out the tire. Yes, there are better ways of doing it now, but I still run calcium chloride in my tires. Put a tube in, no matter what. A tubeless tire is useless in the woods. I have tubes in both of my front tires. As soon as I have trouble, a tube goes in.
I prefer the weight in the tires, not hanging out behind me. A weight box would be useless for me. I would have to take off my 3 pt winch to use it.
My FIL had a small JD. Took me years to convince him to put weight inside the tires. What do I know, been around tractors my whole life.  ::)  After he got rid of the weight box, tractor was much more stable.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!