iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for circle saw users?

Started by handhewn, October 18, 2021, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handhewn

I just started running my 60" circular saw again after 30+ years. It seems to be sawing OK but as the rear side of the saw blade enters the cant I sure get a lot of sawdust thrown into the air like a heavy snow storm. I don't remember this happening before and I'm pretty sure something is not as it should be. Any thoughts on this?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

New bits will do this, depending on species.  I had that in tulip poplar, at times.  My guess is the saw guides need adjusted.  You might be pulling the front side in a bit.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Osterman.r

I am also just starting to run a new to me lane mill, also getting what I believe is excessive chips off the back of the saw. For me, I think it is lack of horse power and the saw laying over in the cut. (50hp cat diesel) but I took the cat power unit off this past weekend and now have a Detroit 471 belted to the mill. I hope to run it tomorrow.

Ron Wenrich

As beenthere points out, the lead is important.  Sometimes it only needs a bit more.  But, if your saw is laying over in the cut, you're probably feeding too fast for the species and the hp. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

You could be 'sawing at the back' or picking up sawdust from the pit.

Gearbox

Always check the lead on the same tooth with the saw guides backed off and check on the same bunk . l
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

glendaler

Not sure if it's happening on every log for you but the odd time I get chips up the back when a log has a lot of tension in it, or like moodnacreek said picking it up from below.
Belsaw A10 circle mill,

handhewn

I adjusted the lead before I started to saw. I probably should re-check it now that it has run awhile. The bits are new. I think I'll try varying speeds. Plenty of sawdust blowing out the blower pipe so I have not looked in the pit but there is an easy access door that I will check next time I run. Good food for thought/action folks. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Don P

Is the blade scrubbing on the gig back?

Osterman.r

My blade only scrubs on the gig back at the very end of the gig back stroke. 

handhewn

It does it on the cut stroke, not on the back stroke. I don't know the term "gig".

beenthere

Gig is just the carriage return.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BUGGUTZ

My saw throws a mess of dust out the top when I cut as well. Peach at Menominee saw told me I need new shanks. They don't dump the dust below, but instead it comes through the sides of the top cut.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BUGGUTZ

Peach is certainly a treasure! First time I ever got "hollared" at buy a total stranger on the phone. When my blade came back it had all kinds of notes written on it and the wheel. I hope to get up there to meet him one day. He's been a big help to me.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Don P

I was trying to remember which thread this was on the other day... Just checking to be sure, you are running a splitter behind the blade?

handhewn

Yes I do have a splitter behind blade. I did re-align two teeth that were a little off set and were leaving gouges causing rough surface. Much better surface but still snowing sawdust. Thinking back on yesterdays sawing I seem to remember there were times I had way less snow. Now I will need to pay attention to snowing as regards to what species of wood I'm sawing. I did saw YP and WRC yesterday. Also I need to watch RPMs of saw. I think I was running lower RPMs at end of day as I was hearing a bearing in the edger that was talking to me. I've only sawn half a dozen logs on this mill since putting it back in service recently. The logs average 30" dia so often I'm taking full 24" cuts. Now that I think of it I better pay attention to when it snows as regards to whether I'm taking small jacket board cuts or 24" cant cuts. Six nice fat logs and I've already got a big mess of waste product. Going to take the old CAT D8 up there today and clear some room. I'm surrounded by acres of mostly buck brush and manzanita. Got to make a clearing  to push all that waste into for winter burns and to keep the mill as far as possible from  potential summer fire hazard. It gets more complicated every day. There are pictures of the mill In my picture gallery.

Thank You Sponsors!