iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tarped Out of the Rain

Started by TimW, July 27, 2021, 02:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I got tired of our daily nuisance rains, that kept me from sawing for weeks on end, so I put a tarp over the mill.   It is a 28x39 foot tarp. 

I wanted narrower, like 20 feet, but it was all Harbor Freight had in stock.   I used a 1/2 rope over the mill between two huge trees.  I used the Mahindra's loader to tighten the 1/2 inch rope, while I was on the telehandler platform screwing a hand formed "tunnel clamp" over the rope into the tree, then I tied the rope to itself.

I had my friend run the telehandler while I went up into the surrounding trees and tied off lines.  One side of the tarp is attached to the fence top board.  I added some permanent support boards on the sawdust chute side, over the sawhead near the tongue, and 2x2s over the log loading side.

I still had some sag at full sawhead height, so I added 2 movable support boards. 

They will keep the rain from puddling on top and keep the tarp off the sawhead at full height.  They will be moved around for log loading and first cuts on 36 inch logs. 

As the first forecast rain is later today, we will see.  It will be a work in progress to tweet it to stay up and shed rain correctly.  Any bets how long it will last?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

YellowHammer

Looks good.  
I bet it won't rain anymore now that you've put a rain tarp up. :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

I see a shed in your future.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

HemlockKing

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 27, 2021, 05:56:49 AM
Very soon. Next wind storm the neighbours will have a nice new tarp!
A1

doc henderson

should repel some of the sun you get as well.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

VB-Milling

Hopefully that tree canopy provides some wind and sun buffering and no branches come down on it.  I've had those same HF tarps and a small tear turns into a giant hole awful quick!

It would be nice if it lasted a few weeks.
HM126

Magicman

Looks good.  Your next "tarp" will be 6X6's, 2X6's, 2X4's and galvalume.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

I did the same sorta thing a few years ago. I went through a few tarps but it did the intended job and bought me some time to figure out the next move. Happy sawing, dry and in the shade!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

farmfromkansas

You could send some of that nuisance rain north to Kansas!
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Nebraska

Reminds me of Tom's tarp in the woods.

stavebuyer

I did something similar over the Meadows portable circle mill I had set up on an old ridgetop farm grown up in cedars. It more or less held up the 6 months we had the mill set up there as we logged and sawed it all on site.

<

barbender

Keeping the sun off of you will be just as valuable as shedding rain👍
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

I have a buddy who does leatherwork as a hobby/small business.  He has custom sized tarps for us and reinforced with rope and grommets.  @Bindian what ever works.  we reduced tarp size to fit our tents in scouts so there was no tarp extending outside the tent.  looks better and does not flow shed rainwater under the tent floor.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

I have a 40x60 or 80 foot shed planned.  Have all the 6x6 posts and 20 foot full size 2x12 roof joists cut.  Just need to finished some sawmill orders and some other projects before starting on the shed.  I already got concrete and roof truss quotes.  Just a matter of time.  I have a shed thread started on here, discussing roof loading and such.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 27, 2021, 06:43:50 AM
Very soon. Next wind storm the neighbours will have a nice new tarp!
Nope.  Too many trees here.  Either it will wrap around the sawmill or a tree, but it has to detach from the fence first.  It is secured to the fence top board with screws.
      hugs, Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 27, 2021, 07:16:56 AM
should repel some of the sun you get as well.  
Doc,
        Yes, and a tad bit darker underneath it.  Sawing last evening had me needing my headlight sooner to see the tension gauge good.  Got the pneumatic tires installed on the fan.

Maybe I can mount a light over the fan?  First tarped log.

hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on July 27, 2021, 08:09:46 AM
Looks good.  Your next "tarp" will be 6X6's, 2X6's, 2X4's and galvalume.  ;D
How true, Lynn.  I am itching to get started on the "permanent" shed.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: stavebuyer on July 27, 2021, 03:50:47 PM
I did something similar over the Meadows portable circle mill I had set up on an old ridgetop farm grown up in cedars. It more or less held up the 6 months we had the mill set up there as we logged and sawed it all on site.

<
Six months is a good goal to shoot for.  Hopefully will be roofing galvalume by then.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: barbender on July 27, 2021, 10:31:44 PM
Keeping the sun off of you will be just as valuable as shedding rain👍
With my tree canopy, sun only hits the mill around 1 to 2:30 each afternoon.  Shade all the rest of the day.  But the stacking pallet is still in the sun alot.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Here is a shot from my back deck of the tarped mill.

hugs,  Brandi

TimW

If anyone is interested.................here's the link to my shed thread.....https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=112921.0
hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

well at the risk of sounding (not intended) off color you "got some nice equipment" there @Bindian  :)  It is only temporary, but curious if the side that flaps down a bit, is to the south?  can it be made to be adjustable and raised up at times.  just thinking out loud. cheers!  doc.

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 28, 2021, 03:50:14 PM
well at the risk of sounding (not intended) off color you "got some nice equipment" there @Bindian  :)  It is only temporary, but curious if the side that flaps down a bit, is to the south?  can it be made to be adjustable and raised up at times.  just thinking out loud. cheers!  doc.
Off color is right Doc.  Too much equipment that isn't RED.  The side "that flaps down a bit" is secured to the fence for now.  I could secure it via ropes to trees on the other side of the fence for more late afternoon light.
       hugs,  Brandi

maple flats

That's a grand version of how I'm setting up to assemble my mill, then saw the lumber to build a permanent home. I have a 10x20 tent (roof and separate sides if needed). In that, once assembled, I'll saw and build the saw shed next to the tent. For light I have a string of 12V LED lights.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

TimW

Quote from: maple flats on July 29, 2021, 06:56:52 AM
That's a grand version of how I'm setting up to assemble my mill, then saw the lumber to build a permanent home. I have a 10x20 tent (roof and separate sides if needed). In that, once assembled, I'll saw and build the saw shed next to the tent. For light I have a string of 12V LED lights.
Thanks.  I will check look into a string of LED lights.
hugs,   Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!