The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Tarped Out of the Rain  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
Re: Tarped Out of the Rain
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »
If anyone is interested.................here's the link to my shed thread.....https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=112921.0
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
well at the risk of sounding (not intended) off color you "got some nice equipment" there @Bindian  :)  It is only temporary, but curious if the side that flaps down a bit, is to the south?  can it be made to be adjustable and raised up at times.  just thinking out loud. cheers!  doc.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 11:37:13 PM »
well at the risk of sounding (not intended) off color you "got some nice equipment" there @Bindian  :)  It is only temporary, but curious if the side that flaps down a bit, is to the south?  can it be made to be adjustable and raised up at times.  just thinking out loud. cheers!  doc.
Off color is right Doc.  Too much equipment that isn't RED.  The side "that flaps down a bit" is secured to the fence for now.  I could secure it via ropes to trees on the other side of the fence for more late afternoon light.
       hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • cnymaple.com
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 06:56:52 AM »
That's a grand version of how I'm setting up to assemble my mill, then saw the lumber to build a permanent home. I have a 10x20 tent (roof and separate sides if needed). In that, once assembled, I'll saw and build the saw shed next to the tent. For light I have a string of 12V LED lights.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »
That's a grand version of how I'm setting up to assemble my mill, then saw the lumber to build a permanent home. I have a 10x20 tent (roof and separate sides if needed). In that, once assembled, I'll saw and build the saw shed next to the tent. For light I have a string of 12V LED lights.
Thanks.  I will check look into a string of LED lights.
hugs,   Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 12:36:39 AM »
First log milled under the tarp.  

As you can see, it's a little dim under the big top.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
Lookin' Good Brandi.....  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
maybe some up lighting to reflect off the tarps, and down lighting under the mill to pimp it up a bit.  need an amp and subwoofer for tunes on the sawmill! :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :D :D :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
Lookin' Good Brandi.....  thumbs-up
Thanks Lynn!
        hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
maybe some np lighting to reflect off the tarps, and down lighting under the mill to pimp it up a bit.  need an amp and subwoofer for tunes on the sawmill! :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :D :D :D
Doc,
   I got an old broken down CD player/boom box blaring Country music from the barn.  But the lights are developing as a must have.
My friend gave me a radio for my birthday.  It mounts under the canopy of the tractor.  Just gotta install it.
                           hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 01:39:51 PM »
Lights, radio, next it will be dancing under the BIG top. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
   Since its a woodyard/sawmill I started to comment on what kind of dancing to expect but I am trying to be a good boy so I bited my tongue. :D

I guess if Brandi provides little whisk brooms to strap on everyone's feet and they go line dancing she can at least get the sawdust swept out of the barn every Saturday night. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 02:34:02 PM »
  Since its a woodyard/sawmill I started to comment on what kind of dancing to expect but I am trying to be a good boy so I bited my tongue. :D

I guess if Brandi provides little whisk brooms to strap on everyone's feet and they go line dancing she can at least get the sawdust swept out of the barn every Saturday night. ;)
Good thing you bit your tongue.  You seem to do that alot.  Actually, a little sawdust on the floor makes better two steppin' and polkas.  Wooden floor dance halls use a little cornmill on the floor.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »
   I knew the steakhouses used to have your throw the peanut hulls on the floor and I heard it was actually good for the wood but being blessed with 2 left feet and married to a shy country girl who was the daughter of the Baptist preacher, I never got into the dance scene. I don't know about the cornmeal - I guess as long as they had extra after frying the catfish and making the hushpuppies and storing your catalpa worms in it if there was any left over you could put it on the dance floor. 

Question: What kind of dancing do politicians do?
   Answer: Poll dancing.

Stay safe, stay cool in the shade.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
  I knew the steakhouses used to have your throw the peanut hulls on the floor and I heard it was actually good for the wood but being blessed with 2 left feet and married to a shy country girl who was the daughter of the Baptist preacher, I never got into the dance scene. I don't know about the cornmeal - I guess as long as they had extra after frying the catfish and making the hushpuppies and storing your catalpa worms in it if there was any left over you could put it on the dance floor.

Question: What kind of dancing do politicians do?
   Answer: Poll dancing.

Stay safe, stay cool in the shade.
Texas Roadhouse is the only place I have been to that lets you throw peanut hulls on the floor, but that is after you eat the peanuts.  But, it is so crowded, it's standing room outside waiting to get in.  I like to get there about 4 in the afternoon and be gone when the crowds start arriving.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 06:58:53 PM »
some of the farm stores here do it on occasion, to make you shop there.  offer peanuts and let the hulls be thrown on the floor.  i do not like to do that, and prefer peanuts already hulled as i am the lazy type, and want an handful at a time in my mouth.  used to have a peanut barrel for boy scouts stuff, but one kid with an allergy and a mom who thought it was every ones responsibility to watch over him was enough to stop that tradition.  only reaction i ever saw was an anxiety one to eating something with peanuts, as he thought he had to go to the ed and get an epi pen shot.  he sat in the car, and never had any throat welling or difficulty breathing.  just anxiety.   :o

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 08:06:53 PM »
  Amazing how we shift from sawing or whatever to food ain't it. :D

In Saudi street vendors cooked raw peanuts in salt in a wok over a ventilated gallon can as a brazier with charcoal. They took them out with a slotted spoon and shook most of the salt off to continue to use. They sold them in a rolled up computer print-out page for 1 riyal/tube (I guess that was about a cup of peanuts for 27 cents). They tasted like our salted Planter's Peanuts. I would visit the souks and buy raw peanuts in the shell and roast/parch them. I was paying 5 SR/kg or $1.30 for 2.2 lbs. One day I noticed they had shelled peanuts for sale also so I asked how much they were. The vendor told me "Five riyals per kilo." Well my Mama didn't raise no fool! If I could buy shelled ones for the same price as in the hull that was what I was going to do and did till I left there. I never understood the economics of their pricing but I was just a dumb infidel and I was not going to argue with them.
Howard Green

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:16 PM »
Round here it was sawdust on the floor and maybe a cuspidor or two,but most missed that and it just added a little color to the sawdust. :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 11:02:40 PM »
Here if you want peanuts then you need to mosy over to the hay pile and dig them out of a bale BEFORE the cows get to it, they will fight you for them.  Raw, dried on the vine, in the bale - best eating peanuts you will ever have and I am not joking.  Even the red skins are edible that way. But - that's probably more work than @doc henderson would like.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
I have vivid memories as a youth of making a hunting blind out of peanut vines from the field after harvest to hunt doves, sitting there in the hot sun eating those dried peanuts off the vines that the harvester missed. I agree; they are so tasty.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Venting condensation from tarped bulk pile

Started by jbos333 on Firewood and Wood Heating

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 01:40:11 PM
by cutterboy
xx
rain!!!

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 07:17:38 AM
by madmari