iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tarped Out of the Rain

Started by TimW, July 27, 2021, 02:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

First log milled under the tarp.  

As you can see, it's a little dim under the big top.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

maybe some up lighting to reflect off the tarps, and down lighting under the mill to pimp it up a bit.  need an amp and subwoofer for tunes on the sawmill! :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on August 02, 2021, 07:48:28 AM
Lookin' Good Brandi.....  thumbs-up
Thanks Lynn!
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on August 02, 2021, 09:57:34 AM
maybe some np lighting to reflect off the tarps, and down lighting under the mill to pimp it up a bit.  need an amp and subwoofer for tunes on the sawmill! :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :D :D :D
Doc,
   I got an old broken down CD player/boom box blaring Country music from the barn.  But the lights are developing as a must have.
My friend gave me a radio for my birthday.  It mounts under the canopy of the tractor.  Just gotta install it.
                           hugs,  Brandi

tmarch

Lights, radio, next it will be dancing under the BIG top. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

WV Sawmiller

Since its a woodyard/sawmill I started to comment on what kind of dancing to expect but I am trying to be a good boy so I bited my tongue. :D

I guess if Brandi provides little whisk brooms to strap on everyone's feet and they go line dancing she can at least get the sawdust swept out of the barn every Saturday night. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 03, 2021, 01:46:06 PM
  Since its a woodyard/sawmill I started to comment on what kind of dancing to expect but I am trying to be a good boy so I bited my tongue. :D

I guess if Brandi provides little whisk brooms to strap on everyone's feet and they go line dancing she can at least get the sawdust swept out of the barn every Saturday night. ;)
Good thing you bit your tongue.  You seem to do that alot.  Actually, a little sawdust on the floor makes better two steppin' and polkas.  Wooden floor dance halls use a little cornmill on the floor.
hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

I knew the steakhouses used to have your throw the peanut hulls on the floor and I heard it was actually good for the wood but being blessed with 2 left feet and married to a shy country girl who was the daughter of the Baptist preacher, I never got into the dance scene. I don't know about the cornmeal - I guess as long as they had extra after frying the catfish and making the hushpuppies and storing your catalpa worms in it if there was any left over you could put it on the dance floor. 

Question: What kind of dancing do politicians do?
   Answer: Poll dancing.

Stay safe, stay cool in the shade.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 03, 2021, 05:21:07 PM
  I knew the steakhouses used to have your throw the peanut hulls on the floor and I heard it was actually good for the wood but being blessed with 2 left feet and married to a shy country girl who was the daughter of the Baptist preacher, I never got into the dance scene. I don't know about the cornmeal - I guess as long as they had extra after frying the catfish and making the hushpuppies and storing your catalpa worms in it if there was any left over you could put it on the dance floor.

Question: What kind of dancing do politicians do?
  Answer: Poll dancing.

Stay safe, stay cool in the shade.
Texas Roadhouse is the only place I have been to that lets you throw peanut hulls on the floor, but that is after you eat the peanuts.  But, it is so crowded, it's standing room outside waiting to get in.  I like to get there about 4 in the afternoon and be gone when the crowds start arriving.
hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

some of the farm stores here do it on occasion, to make you shop there.  offer peanuts and let the hulls be thrown on the floor.  i do not like to do that, and prefer peanuts already hulled as i am the lazy type, and want an handful at a time in my mouth.  used to have a peanut barrel for boy scouts stuff, but one kid with an allergy and a mom who thought it was every ones responsibility to watch over him was enough to stop that tradition.  only reaction i ever saw was an anxiety one to eating something with peanuts, as he thought he had to go to the ed and get an epi pen shot.  he sat in the car, and never had any throat welling or difficulty breathing.  just anxiety.   :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Amazing how we shift from sawing or whatever to food ain't it. :D

In Saudi street vendors cooked raw peanuts in salt in a wok over a ventilated gallon can as a brazier with charcoal. They took them out with a slotted spoon and shook most of the salt off to continue to use. They sold them in a rolled up computer print-out page for 1 riyal/tube (I guess that was about a cup of peanuts for 27 cents). They tasted like our salted Planter's Peanuts. I would visit the souks and buy raw peanuts in the shell and roast/parch them. I was paying 5 SR/kg or $1.30 for 2.2 lbs. One day I noticed they had shelled peanuts for sale also so I asked how much they were. The vendor told me "Five riyals per kilo." Well my Mama didn't raise no fool! If I could buy shelled ones for the same price as in the hull that was what I was going to do and did till I left there. I never understood the economics of their pricing but I was just a dumb infidel and I was not going to argue with them.
Howard Green

tmarch

Round here it was sawdust on the floor and maybe a cuspidor or two,but most missed that and it just added a little color to the sawdust. :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Southside

Here if you want peanuts then you need to mosy over to the hay pile and dig them out of a bale BEFORE the cows get to it, they will fight you for them.  Raw, dried on the vine, in the bale - best eating peanuts you will ever have and I am not joking.  Even the red skins are edible that way. But - that's probably more work than @doc henderson would like.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I have vivid memories as a youth of making a hunting blind out of peanut vines from the field after harvest to hunt doves, sitting there in the hot sun eating those dried peanuts off the vines that the harvester missed. I agree; they are so tasty.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimW

Today we had wind gusts of 45-50 mph.  Needless to say, the tarp didn't make it.  I was tying a broken rope with a huge gust lifted it up and over the sawmill and the fence.  It won't be going back up.  Just gonna get crackin' on the shed build.

hugs,  Brandi

HemlockKing

I knew it!  ;D 

I've just had bad luck with tarps...

Must have been the same storm system that came through here 2 days ago.
A1

doc henderson

yes they are a short term solution, and I cover with many.  @Bindian sorry you short term solution was cut short by mother nature.

Resonator

I've used big box store portable tents before, I usually get about a year or so of use until a heavy snow storm gets them down. (Way down south that may not be an problem. :D)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Sorry about the flying tarp. If you have that much wind out there I guess you don't need that fancy fan that got me in so much trouble last time. ::)
Howard Green

TimW

Quote from: HemlockKing on October 29, 2021, 06:49:00 AM
I knew it!  ;D

Yep, you called it.  Strange thing is, we never have high winds except with hurricanes or tornadoes.   These winds were from the Northwest, so I don't think they came from your way.  If only the tarp would have survived 3 more months!

That is not the only damage.  My neighbor's horses get cheap hay (and I guess cheap feed) as they crib around her trees, killing them.   A Sweetgum tree blew over, cracking at the base.  It took out my woven wire fence and landed in my pond.  

When I called her, she laughed and said it was not her trees that caused the power outage this time.  It was out for about an hour.  So I told her about the tree that her horses killed getting blown over the fence.  She laughed.  She then went out and took a photo of the trump exclaiming the reason it fell over was it was hollow.  I can't get across to her it was the bark missing that killed the tree and being hollow had nothing to with killing it.
hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

I probably would not be in a big hurry to get the fence fixed back unless it was causing me problems on my end such as my cows getting out. If it was just her horses I would not worry about it any time soon.

Neighbor trees and limbs falling over on to other peoples property and doing damage is a touchy issue legally it would be real hard for you to collect for damages from them. I am not sure if your insurance would cover such damage or not. A decent neighbor would normally help out but it does not sound like yours is too interested in doing so. Oh well, what goes around, comes around in one way or another.
Howard Green

HemlockKing

Quote from: Bindian on October 29, 2021, 12:37:28 PM
I knew it!  ;D

Yep, you called it.  Strange thing is, we never have high winds except with hurricanes or tornadoes.   These winds were from the Northwest, so I don't think they came from your way.  If only the tarp would have survived 3 more months!

That is not the only damage.  My neighbor's horses get cheap hay (and I guess cheap feed) as they crib around her trees, killing them.   A Sweetgum tree blew over, cracking at the base.  It took out my woven wire fence and landed in my pond.  

When I called her, she laughed and said it was not her trees that caused the power outage this time.  It was out for about an hour.  So I told her about the tree that her horses killed getting blown over the fence.  She laughed.  She then went out and took a photo of the trump exclaiming the reason it fell over was it was hollow.  I can't get across to her it was the bark missing that killed the tree and being hollow had nothing to with killing it.
hugs,  Brandi
Yes they were coming from the northeast here as well, it was a very unusual event IMO how nobody warned us of any wind until 12 hours prior, winds hit 100kmph here, yet when a post tropical hurricane storm comes through with 60kmph wind gusts they freak out, everyone's buying propane, food etc. Hmmm
A1

TimW

Quote from: HemlockKing on October 29, 2021, 02:37:18 PM
Quote from: Bindian on October 29, 2021, 12:37:28 PM
I knew it!  ;D

hugs,  Brandi
Yes they were coming from the northeast here as well, it was a very unusual event IMO how nobody warned us of any wind until 12 hours prior, winds hit 100kmph here, yet when a post tropical hurricane storm comes through with 60kmph wind gusts they freak out, everyone's buying propane, food etc. Hmmm
Could have been.  I think it was in a circular pattern.
     hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 29, 2021, 02:12:40 PM
 I probably would not be in a big hurry to get the fence fixed back unless it was causing me problems on my end such as my cows getting out. If it was just her horses I would not worry about it any time soon.

Neighbor trees and limbs falling over on to other peoples property and doing damage is a touchy issue legally it would be real hard for you to collect for damages from them. I am not sure if your insurance would cover such damage or not. A decent neighbor would normally help out but it does not sound like yours is too interested in doing so. Oh well, what goes around, comes around in one way or another.
We are good neighbors, but we have our differences.  Found that out when she came over to Brady's and we were talking politics.  I would imagine she cringes when she sees my Trump flag waving on the dam.
She sawed the tree off the fence, but she has only handled the box store saw twice before.  I showed her how to cut from below.  She had a huge notch like she was using an ax.
I told her when that saw wore out (and it will soon) to go to the Stihl dealer in Conroe and tell them Brandi send her.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!