iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer requested discount for supplying help after job was complete...thought?

Started by newdesertfox, September 02, 2021, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

This is why I only charge by the hour and stick to it. I got sucked into doing it by the board foot a couple times and I found out quick that most people that badger you to do it by the board foot have odd requests or inadequate "logs". 
By only charging hourly I know that at the end of the day my costs and profit are covered and I'm not losing money. Are there jobs that I could have made more by the foot? Absolutely
But those customers are extatic at the end of the job and I'm happy because I made a fare livable wage. 
Why should you lose money to save someone else money? 
A contract is a contract. No backsies 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Brad_bb

That has to be a frustrating situation, especially when you're doing everything you can to try and help him and he is still ungrateful.  Been there, done that.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

barbender

I always try to thoughtfully address all legitimate concerns in any business dealing, as I want to treat people fairly and my name is important to me. However, the folks that are always conniving, looking for an angle to get you work for them for free I have no time for at all. Once someone tries to change a deal after the fact, I will not deal with them again. A few bucks is more important to them then their integrity, run away. 
Too many irons in the fire

newdesertfox

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 02, 2021, 09:10:04 PM
Water off a duck's back.  There's people like that out there, just put him on your "blocked" list on your phone and be done with it.  

You did the job, you got paid, he got mad, he tried to play you, you win, he loses.  Game over.      
I don't know, personally I prefer some oil and gravy on a ducks back with some nice cushioning of potatoes to catch any falling off its back :D :D

Bruno of NH

I'm 55 years old , self employed at 18.
It took me to age 35 to learn that you will never make some customers happy .
When I realized that , some times it's better to walk away.
Let the next guy deal with them.
I have folks try to ask for a discount if they buy x amount.
I say nope.
Your cost are still the same.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

If he agreed in advance and you have the signed contract, then he has no leg to stand on.  Chalk it up to experience and move on. 

Some customers believe that everything is negotiable even after the fact.  Those types are never satisfied unless they believe they get the better of someone.  I don't play that game.

I once had a customer attempt to withhold payment after the job was done because he thought the price was too high (his wife was the one who thought it too high).  We had an agreed upon rate in advance that the wife apparently didn't fully appreciate.  I called my buddy to come with my big trailer in front of the customer and his wife.  The customer asked why.  I told him I was taking my payment in lumber.  He and the wife went in the house for a few minutes and he came back with payment.  The lumber was cut for a project the wife wanted done. :D  I am booked every time he calls for a repeat.  I don't play that game.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

A brickmason buddy of mine had a neat trick.  He would place a crowbar and a rope tied to it right at the worksite in plain view.  He required payment every week.  

When someone invariably asked why he had a rope tied to a crowbar, he would tell people that if he didn't get paid on time, in the correct amount, he would drop the crowbar with the attached rope down the backside of the brick he had put up that week, tie the other end of the rope to his truck, then drive off and pull the brick over, and never come back.   :D :D :D

I don't know if he ever did it, but he talks like he did a time or two.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Everyone I ever met that worked selling direct to the public has stories similar to these or worse. That's why years ago I made the decision that that I wouldn't work retail again. I'd rather work shovel fresh dung than put up with that nonsense again. I feel for those who continue to do that kind of work and try to be nice to them when I deal with them.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

terrifictimbersllc

Got a repeat guy that always asks for a discount. First time it was can you deduct the sales tax. Answered no. Last week I had a very productive day with him, and one line item on the bill was a slight surcharge for a number of short length logs, so I put another line item deducting that surcharge. Now I'm sort of wishing I hadn't. Got some precedent started.

I'm thinking next time I'll add a mandatory gratuity and then deduct that with a separate line item. Tell him that's the discount.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Hilltop366

I'm not much for haggling but if I think the price of something is negotiable I will say " You know I won't be offended if you charge me less" it usually gets a chuckle and often a lower price, on the other hand if I am the seller and someone asks me for a lower price on something that I do not want to lower my reply to "will you take less" is "no but I am willing to take more".

chet

This thread brings to mind a Baptist Minister I've sawed for.  A nice guy, but as his brother refers to him 'Preacher Cheapskate'.  The first time I sawed for him, he was extremely picky and tossed many 'questionable boards' into the slab pile. After his 'good' pile of lumber was scaled and payed for, he proceeded to load up all the stuff he had tossed aside, that in his words would not work for his projects.
After that first time I only scaled his lumber after it was loaded and bound down and ready to leave. For some odd reason that ended his heavy handed sorting.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: chet on September 03, 2021, 11:44:13 AM
This thread brings to mind a Baptist Minister I've sawed for.  A nice guy, but as his brother refers to him 'Preacher Cheapskate'.  The first time I sawed for him, he was extremely picky and tossed many 'questionable boards' into the slab pile. After his 'good' pile of lumber was scaled and payed for, he proceeded to load up all the stuff he had tossed aside, that in his words would not work for his projects.
After that first time I only scaled his lumber after it was loaded and bound down and ready to leave. For some odd reason that ended his heavy handed sorting.  :D
When I cut a piece of lumber, I scale it, and right it down on my clipboard as a done piece. If the customer trows it in the slab pile, that's up to him.
I'm sure many of mine have pulled them out after I left.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moodnacreek

It takes a long time to understand what people might do. Too long and you will never learn all the angles. In this case the discounts ruined it because where there is one discount the must be more and if not there has to be a way. Here's one I like to tell; 2 neighbors decide to order firewood as a group order, deliveries side by side. They want 6 cord total at a discount [so much off per cord] They both get 2 cord and don't need the other 2. They pay up, you got it, the discounted rate. If you ever do this charge and receive full price and refund the discount when it is done. The list goes on and on.  Clint Eastwood had a line: No more Mr. Nice Guy. You can wind up that.

WV Sawmiller

Thankfully customers like we have been discussing here are the exception for me. I sometimes get people calling wanting a lower price but that is a non-starter. After we agree on terms it is done unless I decide to waive a fee or offer a discount, usually in the form of a few free boards or some special sawing project for the wife or kids. I sometimes get a question if I discount or waive the sales tax for cash - indicating they think I don't report cash sales. I honestly tell them cash or check is the same for me as I report all income. I never sweat the the state sales tax people or IRS coming to see me.

I have only had one customer try to squeeze a discount and even asked if I offered a military discount, actually a veteran's discount as a true military discount IMHO is for active duty and retired military, and I told her no. I have no doubt I served longer than both she and her husband and even as a contractor working for the military I worked in various war and conflict zones way more dangerous than they ever saw.

In some cases I finish a job and we leave with respect for each other but way more often I make new friends. That is why I keep sawing.

BTW - almost every time I make a purchase I tell the sales clerk "That's too much." and watch their expression. Some seem confused, most agree but say they can't help it and at the end we all laugh and move on.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cedarman

As guys, we are used to hearing no ever since we asked for a good night kiss.
If you ask, you may have success, if you don't ask, you won't for sure.
I am never offended when asked to give a discount. Just politely decline. Got kids in college or owe bank money.  Pick a reason.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WV Sawmiller

I am not offended when someone asks for a discount but I do a real fast burn when they try to ask after the work is done. The time for negotiation is before the job starts.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!