iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straightening a Logrite

Started by kelLOGg, August 30, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

A customer forgot his 5' logrite when he delivered logs - it has a bend in it and I thought I would offer to straighten it for him. I have a 20T hyd cyl that extends about 20" more. I plan to use it and a heavy chain and give it a shot. I have straightened steel ramps this way but never an aluminum alloy. The bend is not in the plane of the hook so it looks like it got run over by a big truck. Since it is someone else's property I don't want to screw it up. Any advice? I will check with him if FFers think it is safe to try.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

GAB

If I was considering that task I'd use a hydraulic press and some Vee blocks.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

Get hold of LogRite and see what they can tell you as far as strength retainment goes. I'd also take the hook off to keep it from spinning in the press if you aren't right next to it. 
Trying harder everyday.

charles mann

As GAB said, V blocks or better yet, a pipe mandrel designed for bending pipe
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

mike_belben

vee blocks in the press.  roll it in the blocks and mark the high spots so you know exactly where to press.  
Praise The Lord

KirkD

We use to use a wide hardwood v-block on bent motorcycle forks. They have less of a chance of creasing than metal.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Tam-i-am

It is not that big a bend so Vee blocks and a press should get it to relax nicely.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Southside

How you gonna feel when he tells you that bend was custom done to allow for finger room when loading his trailer and his late father-in-law toiled for days to get it just right?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I have done these type things before, it can be more tricky than one might first guess. Because it is not yours and you are trying to do something nice and not make it worse, you have to be careful. V-blocks will work but they will leave gouges in the shaft where there is a line of contact and you reach the force necessary to effect a reverse bend. What you really need is surface contact around the radius to spread the load out. So if I were doing this, here is now I would go:

make 3 blocks from hardwood with grooves in them to match the outside radius of the shaft, two of these should be longish, 8-10" to again spread the load out, the 3rd should be around 4-6" long, this is your pusher block. On the 3rd one try to have the groove perpendicular to the grain to minimize splitting potential.
 Find the high spot and center of the bend and mark it. Place the high spot straight up and right under the arbor. Space the two evenly away from the center, start with them as far apart as possible. Begin your pressing and watch carefully to see where the shaft is reacting. Adjust your blocks as needed to prevent adding new 'alternate' bends. Heating the bottom side would help, but the paint will be gone. Take you time. When you get close, you will likely have to overbend it so be careful. You can measure the distance from the bottom of the shaft to the deck to know how far you went, then release, check it, and if it needs more, go a little deeper on the next push. If you don't measure you won't know where you were.

Take your time, take your time, take your time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tom King

I would rather pull it back out, than push it.  Secure, and padded on the hook end, and a long padded pipe over the handle.

I'd like to know what type of aluminum it is first though.  Some would crack, and be better to leave it alone.

kelLOGg

Now I know it is certainly a job for someone else - like a machine shop. Here's what I did (after talking to the owner who said "by all means") and then gave up on.

I could over-bend it easily but it wouldn't stay bent. I wasn't going to apply more force for fear of introducing another bend near the ends and of the lack of stability of my setup. Glad I stopped before doing a favor turned into a mistake.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Silverfoxfintry

Most aluminium alloys "age harden" this means that you can soften the alloy by heating above the critical point. The alloy will soften. Straightening the now soft alloy is now much easier.
The original strength will return to the metal in a couple of days.
Aluminium alloy rivets are annealed before use. If not kept in a freezer they harden again in about 24 to 36 hours.
Interesting, when cigar tubes are formed, the process happens to fast for the alloy to work harden.
(Or so I remember from college lectures 50 odd years ago)
Hope this helps.

Silverfox.

Old Greenhorn

Silverfoxfintry, this is a steel hook if I recall correctly.

Actually that setup you have is a pretty good idea and as long as the shaft does not snap around on you it should work. BUT I have no idea what Kevin has used when he designed that hook. Since it is their 'Xtreme" hook I am going to guess he picked a higher end high tensile steel. From what I have seen of Kevin's design skills and habits I have come to respect his abilities as someone who has a good handle (pardon the pun) on it and knows exactly what he is doing and more importantly why. (In short, the guy has "game".)
 SO I am thinking if there is a chance to fix that, heat will be needed. There is no way knowing what the after effects will be once heat is applied because you are basically annealing the material and letting the grain structure re-organize a little bit. You would need to know the exact alloy being used and what production processes it has already been through. Anything else is guessing, at best. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :D  It could work, maybe.
 You gave it a good shot and were probably very smart to stop when you did. Maybe give LogRite a call and see what Kevin thinks. One thing is for sure, those hooks are tough!
 @Tam-i-am any thoughts?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: kelLOGg on August 30, 2021, 04:14:09 PM
Now I know it is certainly a job for someone else - like a machine shop. Here's what I did (after talking to the owner who said "by all means") and then gave up on.

I could over-bend it easily but it wouldn't stay bent. I wasn't going to apply more force for fear of introducing another bend near the ends and of the lack of stability of my setup. Glad I stopped before doing a favor turned into a mistake.
Looking at the setup in reply #10 I find the most appropriate item in the picture to be the street sign.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

kelLOGg

I thought the same thing when I saw "STOP".

kelLOGg

I wasn't about to heat it for fear of changing the hardness.

Jeff

Can we gets some close ups of the inside of some of the parts bins?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Asking for a friend there Jeff?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

kelLOGg

OK  - you asked for it but be prepared. I more organized than I am clean and neat.

Magicman

Looks like you are a bit screwy but mostly nuts.  thumbs-up   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Jeff

@metalspinner would like to see the brass section. ;D

kelLOGg

Thank You Sponsors!