iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long is too long

Started by kkcomp, September 03, 2021, 05:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

I was intending to get the Cooks MP32 but there is a 54 week lead time. Wanting to get stared on my log cabin I contacted a few other companies and found the wait is 50 to 70 weeks. Just wondering if that is how it has always been or is the long time caused by the "lumber shortage"? At a year wait I am not sure what way to go because I get the feeling that in a year there will be a lot of barely used mills for sale at 25% or more off.
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Gere Flewelling

I can understand the frustration of the long wait.  :-\ I was fortunate (looking back at it) to only have to wait 3 months for my mill to be built.  It seemed like an eternity back then, but once the mill came and I got using it and then started following what gets posted on the FF related to sawmill issues.   I am convinced that I purchased the best mill for me.  If you intend to make this a long term hobby or more, I would suggest you hire a sawmill to saw some of your lumber for you to allow you to get started on you projects and then when your mill comes, you will have some practical experience at tailing and proper stacking of your lumber already.  It will make for a much easier learning experience when you can just focus on learning to operate your mill.
Others will have differing opinions of which mill is best.  I don't believe you will find a better hobby mill than the MP-32.  Good Luck with your decision.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Mooseherder

It's pretty much everything.   I went to order windows and they said 20 weeks out.  A garage door,  12 weeks out.  A lawnmower took 3 months to get.

SawyerTed

Everything is in short supply or caught in a supply chain/shipping choke point.  Trucking is in a near crisis because drivers are in short supply and of course fuel prices are up.  

Don't think of trying to buy a new pickup truck right now.  Dealers are in short supply around here because of some manufacturing/shipping problem with computer chips.  Add to that the low interest rates and there's a shortage. At least that's what I was told two weeks ago when I was truck shopping.

I need garage door parts to repair damage done by a wayward automobile.  Six to eight months to get parts, 6 weeks to get a whole door.   ???

Our business needs the insides of an 800 amp electrical panel to start operation of our shavings mill.  Parts were ordered in May, we are still waiting.  

A trolling motor ordered the first of April arrived in July.  A boat trailer ordered in April of 2020 didn't arrive until October of 2020 (by that time I bought a new boat and trailer).

Forget trying to buy swimming pool chlorine in any form but liquid at any price short of your first born child. 

So a wait for a sawmill is in line with everything else. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

charles mann

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 03, 2021, 08:40:10 AM
Everything is in short supply or caught in a supply chain/shipping choke point.  Trucking is in a near crisis because drivers are in short supply and of course fuel prices are up.  
We are running into issue as well when we are in need of fuel. The entire aerial wildfire fighting acft, including us, almost came to grinding stop bc the airport, which the USFS aircraft fueled from and us heli operators couldnt get fuel. It was lack of drivers and supposedly high fuel demand by the airlines, cut our supply lines. Luckily, the Lewiston, Id airport manager agreed to sell their fuel to us, a couple of other heli operators and the airport we were at so we could continue fighting. We were down to 1000 gal in the acft plus 2000 in our fuel truck, giving us 6hrs of flt time. 
I have noticed though, that with drivers in short supply, driving wages are NOT going up, but instead, companies are offering sign on bonuses. Id rather have an increase in total wages, not a 1 time lump sum at the beginning. I have been looking at taking a break from being a wrenching supervisor and all the traveling, but if pay wont go up, i, as with many iv talked to across our industry, including our support drivers, arent leaving what they have, to make ramen noodle wages, over ground chuck wages and for me, new york strip wages. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

sealark37

We should get used to it. Seems to be the new plan.

Cedarman

When asked how far I am backed up, I reply, "Just this side of infinity".  Actually a week or two to 3 to 6 months depending on how big the order is.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

farmfromkansas

My mechanic informed me it may be weeks to get parts for my tractor.  JD is having problems with some parts.  Got some parts for another tractor right away, they must have been on the shelf.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

maple flats

Watch for gently used mills. With the surge during the pandemic in sawmill sales, now that some who had dreams of sawing lumber and getting rich quick now learned how much work it is, mills are starting to go on the market. Check as many sources as you can find.
Another thing, as said above, volunteer to help another sawyer for a day or several, that will help you a lot.
It will also help you if you come across a mill for sale, you will know a few things to check for on the mill and hopefully help you not to make a bad choice on the mill.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!