iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

largest log so far on the LT 35HDG and new house pic

Started by Durf700, September 04, 2021, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

this pine was 36" at the small end facing the mill.. and 41" at the far end!  not going this big any time again soon..  had to cut off some of the flare on about a third of the log to just take about an inch off around the log before I could start to get down to the board sizes I was going for. 

just thought I would post this... been a while with the new home build we just finished up.  looking forward to building some more outbuildings now again with the mill!   the front steps are rough cut on the house, plan on installing rough cut on the walls in the garage and breezeway along with the entire rear deck.

CCCLLC

Magicman

When I saw oversize logs I want the butt toward the sawmill so that I can easily verify whether the head will pass before I enter the log.  I hate to saw partway and then have to back out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Sometimes, it is worth the time to remove the blade and see what the lowest elevation the head will pass.  I rather not deal with one that old.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

When I get one like that, I saw, turn, saw, turn, saw, turn until it becomes even!

It will become octagon or similarly shaped, then I can get a board from it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Nice looking home you have there!!!!
As I say, Enjoy your land!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Durf700

Quote from: Chuck White on September 05, 2021, 07:40:26 AM
When I get one like that, I saw, turn, saw, turn, saw, turn until it becomes even!

It will become octagon or similarly shaped, then I can get a board from it!
HI Chuck!  that is what I did.  once I cut off about some of the flare with the chainsaw on the butt end that was over 40" then I made about 10 passes to get rid of the flare on the but end and was then good to go.  I think I got about 80- 8" 3/4" boards for my buddy at work out of this one log.
I would have spun the log around so the big end was at the other end like others mentioned, however my tractor is in the shop.. so this one as rolled over to the mill with 2 peavys.  I miss my tractor!  should have it back tuesday.

Durf700

I had 3 more logs from this tree that I finished up last night.  I was very happy to not hit any metal in this project.  My buddy went and picked up this tree from someone selling it on facebook.  I was worried about hitting metal. 

all said and done I ended up with 190 8" 3/4 boards plus a dozen 2x6's and a few 4x4's from it for him.  the cut off pile was actually quite small.  its amazing how less waste you have with 8' logs vs 12's and 16's. 

SawyerTed

I've done the crazy large log thing a couple of times.

While the challenge is fun, it is tough no the sawmill and the sawyer. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!