The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Why I donít saw for shares.  (Read 1825 times)

Online SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Why I donít saw for shares.
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
I quit sawing on shares since Iíve cleaned up the accumulated lumber around here.  Having gotten away from lumber sales over a year ago has reduced my frustration with people in general.  I can honestly tell people I operate a portable sawmill not a lumber yard. 

I have no problem acquiring any variety of native species logs here.  Even walnut isnít too tough to come by.  We also have 300 acres of family farm land with a mix of hardwoods and pine.  Just keeping up with the logs generated from farm activity keeps me in enough logs and lumber for my projects.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline alan gage

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 09:35:36 AM »
Had a guy bring in a bunch of walnut he wanted sawn into live edge slabs and split on shares. I said sure.

So I sawed all the slabs, set them upright on the mill and ripped them right down the middle so we each got half of each slab. I still don't understand why he was so upset when he came to pick them up? ???

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline taylorsmissbeehaven

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
My first experience with sawing was very costly for me. A friends family sold the farm and she asked if I wanted the cedar trees lining the driveway as the logger did not. I cut them, loaded them, hauled them, and stored them for a bit. A carpenter buddy of mine had a friend whose next door neighbor had a csm. I delivered them and he sawed them and then everyone involved (4 of us) had a really fun night picking and arguing over the wood. We are all still friends to this day ( this happened over 20 years ago) and I actually still have a slab or two of that wood in my shop. Unfortunately, I got the sawdust fever and two mills later, the rest is history. We all have to pay our bills but sometimes its just fun to have fun!!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sawing on shares

Started by woodbeard on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post March 16, 2004, 06:25:59 PM
by Fla._Deadheader
xx
Milling on Shares?

Started by EastTexan on Sawmills and Milling

47 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 09:48:05 AM
by Okrafarmer