iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodland mills HM122 undersized????

Started by Rebeldad1, September 05, 2021, 06:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebeldad1

So It says it will mill a 22" log

I have a maple log and if I get really creative I can roll it so its maybe 21"

The mill blade will clear 18 1/2" from the bed to fully raised.

The distance between the blade guides is 20 1/2"

so how do i make it cut???

A newbee thanks you in advance!!

Magicman

Quote from: Rebeldad1 on September 05, 2021, 06:37:10 PMso how do i make it cut???
Just like you eat an elephant, one bite at the time.   ;D

Seriously, we are seldom asked to saw a whole log at one time.  It's gonna be work and you may have to whittle a bit but saw and turn as necessary to reach your targeted cant within the log.

Here is an example that was 36" shown here with my customer.  My sawmill will raise 35½" above the bed and the distance between blade guides is 26".  So with the log's diameter and the sawmill's limitations there is no way to saw it but.....

keep sawing what you can and turning as necessary to reach your....

targeted cant.  OK, it's easier for me to say all of that being that I have a fully hydraulic sawmill, but everything that I described has to be done, just manually.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jasonb

An HM122 will cut a 22" log.  It will cut a 24" log if you know how to maneuver it.

The biggest problem you will have is turning the log but it can be done.

This is a 22" log on an HM122.

I did cut a 24" log but I can't find a photo.
HM122

SawyerTed

Think of "breaking the log down" My mill says 32" log but with some manipulation, I can saw a 36" log. 

As Magicman says, "One bite at a time".  Sometimes it takes some creative chainsaw work in advance to get rid of flare or to notch the side of the log to get a blade guide past the flare. But once you get an octagonal or hexagonal shape you can begin sawing lumber. 

Magicman's photos are very descriptive of the process. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!