The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Hickory Maul Handles  (Read 1341 times)

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Hickory Maul Handles
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
Interesting and educational.  We actually have pignut, mockernut and shagbark hickories on our farm. 

I cut them sparingly for cooking bbq.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 10:53:36 AM »
ive been in 3 unmolested forests within an hour radius down here with shagbark fairly abundant, but i have never seen it in a highgraded and subdivided patch of joe homeowner type woods, and im not sure why.  its unlikely it was harvested right down to sapplings and near extinction where i dont even see runty seedlings (like black walnut) so i assume its a shade tolerance thing related to highgrade style of cutting.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Rhodemont

• Full Member x2
  • Logging and milling just a hobby
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »
Watching the grain video makes sense on how the handle will perform.  I was unaware of this consideration so just flat sawed 1.5" from a squared up cant with the pith centered best I could.  Farrier will have a variety of grain conditions to choose from.  I will share the video with him and guess 60% will be fire wood with some very nice grain lengths to work with.  He will get a mix of vertical and horizontal handles to evaluate.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T and now a CS-361P

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:06 PM »
I am on a harvesting site where there is a small amount of bitternut hickory. Does it make decent smoking and handle wood? It's all we have up here (actually I'm 84 miles south of home, and the first time I've seen it) for hickory.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »
Last time I needed a handle for a heavy hammer, just went out to the hedge row and picked out a piece about the right diameter, cut it out and took it in the shop and cut the end so it would fit into the hammer.  Put a little sealer on the ends, didn't even take off the bark.  Made a pretty good handle.  That is osage orange,  what we call hedge in Kansas.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 09:15:23 AM »
BB, the bitternut should work just fine for you if you can get some clear pieces for handles and the smoked meat should taste delicious.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 09:17:10 AM »
There's one of those on the property that we hunt!

Don't know if it's Pignut or Mockernut.

I'll have to take a close look at it next time I'm in that area!

I've often wondered, because the branches have what looks like a 3-4 inch burl out near the end of the branches!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Some species are light seeded and travel on the wind, taste delicious to birds that scatter the seeds widely, and are pioneers that are adapted to colonize disturbed land and are generally shade intolerant.  

Other species are heavy seeders and the nut literally does not fall far from the tree.  Many of these species are shade tolerant and are considered climax species, and hickory is one of these.  The nuts dont travel long distances well except by water.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
WDH, thanks for the pictures and discussion on the pignut and mockernut hickories. I have a lot of shagbark but also some that have smoother bark. After seeing your picture of the pignut bark I am quite sure that is what they are.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Any time I've sawed pignut I could always tell by the smell. Smells just like a hog pen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 05:45:24 PM »
I am on a harvesting site where there is a small amount of bitternut hickory. Does it make decent smoking and handle wood? It's all we have up here (actually I'm 84 miles south of home, and the first time I've seen it) for hickory.

Even without the very accurate mileage Im guessing youre near Mille Lacs because that seems to be the natural northern terminus of the species in MN. Now, unnatural extension of the species does bring it quite close to your home.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
Right you are Clark, between Deerwood and Garrison. I have some Butternut and Hickory in the dump trailer I bought off the job. I just couldn't leave those Butternut saw logs, they probably would've ended up in the firewood pile. I'll saw them up👍🏻 I think we spoke before about a stand of bitternut being on the north shore of Lake Winnie. I've read excerpts of a book written in the 1930's iirc where the author claims to have seen the stand at that time. I keep my eyes open up there, but I've never seen any. But then, I didn't really know what to look for, either. Now that I've actually laid eyes on it, I'll be able to recognize it better. Anyways, I don't know if there's still any up there or not, none of the Forest Service foresters I've ever talked to about it have ever even heard of them. I do know they planted bitternut up in the Cutfoot Experimental Forest, they planted some species to see what will thrive in a changing climate is the idea.

Offline Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2021, 07:03:00 AM »
And a butternut for the fun of it? 

I thought we had talked about the bitternut hickory before. Ive been told they are at or near the Bowen resort. The owner knows about them. I know people who have seen them and there are less than 12 up there. The theory is that seed came north in a canoe paddled up the Mississippi. Difficult to say but the sulfur colored buds are a dead give away.

To bring us back on topicIm guessing the Native Americans were looking to grow some hickory for more hatchet handles. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2021, 08:10:48 AM »
I'll have to look into that more, Clark. Maybe they were a native forestry project, who knows?😊 The Mississippi corridor had other outlier populations as well, like the Eastern Red Cedar of Cedar Island in Cass Lake. My Grandpa grew up in Cass Lake, and he told me when he was in Shop in High School, they would go across the ice in the winter out to Cedar Island and get pieces of cedar from the old stumps that were left from when it was all logged. Then they made jewelry boxes out of it in their shop class.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 08:23:19 AM »
Bitternut is one of the pecan hickories  smiley_devil.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
More devilish to saw then, I take it?😊 There's maybe 2 sticks that are big enough to saw for handle blanks. As in, maybe 8"😁

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 10:20:20 AM »
It could very well challenge you, but with your skills and experience and a good sharp blade you should be OK.  Should be  :) ??? puck-smiley popcorn_smiley.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
From all the experiences yourself and others have shared about hickory, I almost feel like I should try to sneak up on it or something. It seems to ward off full frontal attacks😊

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2021, 01:42:39 PM »
Yes, try being sneaky.  

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »
Sharpen to 4 on the blades and don't be afraid to put the lubemizer on full blast if things start to go wonky.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Maul handles

Started by rick carpenter on Firewood and Wood Heating

0 Replies
Last post August 08, 2016, 09:27:20 PM
by rick carpenter
xx
hickory for tool handles

Started by WoodSmith on Wanted

22 Replies
Last post February 25, 2006, 09:10:21 PM
by Larry
xx
Is hickory limb wood good to use for tool handles?

Started by LaneC on General Woodworking

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 09:22:35 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
3 sided husk on hickory nut - what type of hickory is it?

Started by Lanier_Lurker on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 09:18:14 AM
by Lanier_Lurker