iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yowsers! Used Sawmill Prices

Started by terrifictimbersllc, September 10, 2021, 02:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Watched online, an auction this morning, where a 2018 LT70 super wide with 2000 hr sold for $78,000 plus a 13% buyers premium ($8800). I could identify at least 3000 in parts that it needed from the photos.  And it looked very rough to me overall, a project, IMO. Total $89800 from the happy buyer. 

New one is $72000, except you can't buy one really , and that's the point.  Still.

The next item was a 1995 LT 40 with 200 hours, this sold for $26,000.

Yowsers x2. 
:o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

I know where you can drive away right now with a Super 70 in daily running condition, with an extension, spare bands, and other parts for $100K.

;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

Sounds like the buyer got auction fever. smiley_dizzy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

SouthSide, 

Is that before or after your 5% FF fee? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I watch and bid on a lot of online auctions.  I see so many things go for more than they're worth.  Auction fever is right.  They want it because theyve invested many days into watching the auction.  This causes them to bid too high.  Not me.  There's always another auction.  I don't win anything that I couldn't sell later and make a profit.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moodnacreek

Used circle sawmills go cheap. No one wants to do the work to set one up.  I paid $6000 for the hyd' Lane No. 1 I am setting up now, months of spare time.  The manual mill I am pulling out will probably not sell.

Southside

WV - the cam followers are all good, I figured that by itself would get you to cover the 5%  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

Yah, people pay too much for stuff at auction all the time. It happens. But in this case that may not be true. Depends on the buyer.  But I've been there and done it... paid "too much" for something. But my need was for right now, and the dollar cost of waiting was more than the premium on top of reasonably priced.

See there's a thing called opportunity cost. If you happened to be sitting on a whack of logs that are losing value every day, say hurricane downed them or emerald ash borers are arriving in your region etc... with a solid lumber market that will come off the boil sooner or later... whats the lead time on that brand new $72k LT70? I can cut a lot of wood in 6 months, and pests can cause a lot of log degrade, and in 6 months maybe the lumber market will have tanked.

Probably not the case though, but ya never know.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Crossroads

I saw a 2012 Lt40 on Facebook last week that was listed for 40k 😳 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

If I were going to sell, now is the time.  I think after everyone and their dog buys one now during the pandemic, there will be a flood of used ones going cheap in about 5 years.  My mill is about 10 years old, and has almost doubled in price, and unavailable for a year.  my deposit held the price and was refundable.  now I do not think so.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I took my LT35 to the flea market as advertising yesterday and several folks asked about buying it. I said I did not bring it to sell but would let it got for $200K. As few said "I could buy a new one for that". I said "So will I and I'll go on a long vacation with the extra money." I did not get any takers who wanted to start dickering at 150K. Funny how that happens.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

longtime lurker

Dunno, it's maybe worth a look at. I mean I'm in the no saw = no eat class and am contractually obligated to purchase logs so turning it off for too long is problematic.

But if I didn't need to saw to meet my various obligations then selling a used machine for new price and a 6 month holiday waiting for  a new one would be something to think about.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

4x4American

Quote from: longtime lurker on September 13, 2021, 07:16:55 AM
Dunno, it's maybe worth a look at. I mean I'm in the no saw = no eat class and am contractually obligated to purchase logs so turning it off for too long is problematic.

But if I didn't need to saw to meet my various obligations then selling a used machine for new price and a 6 month holiday waiting for  a new one would be something to think about.
Until 6 months turns into 12 months..unless you're getting out of it, I think you're best to just keep sawing and make hay while the sun shines.  I just bought a new 56" Simonds saw for my circle mill, I ordered it on April 13th with a 10 week lead time.  I didn't get it until yesterday!  Just about 5 months when it was supposed to take 2-1/2.  
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Quote from: 4x4American on September 13, 2021, 07:28:34 AM
Quote from: longtime lurker on September 13, 2021, 07:16:55 AM

But if I didn't need to saw to meet my various obligations then selling a used machine for new price and a 6 month holiday waiting for  a new one would be something to think about.
Until 6 months turns into 12 months..unless you're getting out of it, I think you're best to just keep sawing and make hay while the sun shines.  I just bought a new 56" Simonds saw for my circle mill, I ordered it on April 13th with a 10 week lead time.  I didn't get it until yesterday!  Just about 5 months when it was supposed to take 2-1/2.  
So how does that new saw run? Can it touch the guides without rattling?

longtime lurker

Quote from: 4x4American on September 13, 2021, 07:28:34 AMUntil 6 months turns into 12 months..unless you're getting out of it, I think you're best to just keep sawing and make hay while the sun shines.  I just bought a new 56" Simonds saw for my circle mill, I ordered it on April 13th with a 10 week lead time.  I didn't get it until yesterday!  Just about 5 months when it was supposed to take 2-1/2.  
How ya doing stranger? It's been a while.
I know right? Lead times are blowing out to crazy on most everything. I am about to order skidder parts with the weather window closing rapidly... and I'm looking at my options with that "this is going to hurt" knowledge right from the start.

4x4American

Howzitgoing feller  ;) 
I'm back from my hiatus as I'm researching kilns lol

@moodnacreek  I didn't hang the new saw today, I have some tree service logs to run for a guy this week and I figured I would wait until after I ran those...I might run them through the bandmill, but, I also might not lol
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Hey Dug not too bad. If you're interested in a road trip the reason I got interested in that auction is because a guy from Morristown New York called me thinking I was a Sawmill dealer and we ended up talking and later he called me back and told me about it. He wants to saw 50,000 board feet of pine up there on the st. Lawrence and can't find anyone to do it. He likes to buy things so he was wanting to buy a mill. I can call him back and tell him you'll come up and mill it for him if you like.glad to hear from you. 😊
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Hey there DJ!  I appreciate you thinking of me, but I don't go portable at all anymore.  I just looked it up, boy that's a haul, probably wouldn't be feasible if he sent me the logs either, just too much space in between us.  I preciate you thinking of me!
Boy, back in my day..

Old Greenhorn

Man, that's a lot of lumber! And the St. Lawrence is a great place to 'hang out' in the off hours. Maybe he could supply you with a tail gunner and mill support equipment and oh yeah, a boat for fishing after work hours. Looks like about 16 days work and some mighty fun fishing! The annual Muskie tournament is in late September if I recall.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

Walnut Beast

When are the smokin deals coming! Heard good and bad things about this sawmill I bid on here. This 21hp unit with trailer package and power feed is about 15,600 new with the trailer and power feed options. About 12 to 13 years old. It probably would have been a good deal taking it a little higher but some of the things I heard about it. And combined of having a full blown hydraulic Timberking and going manual with that little of power. I stopped bidding and let the guy have it at 6,719 after I blew past his high bid and we went into three minute extended bidding for awhile. 

fluidpowerpro

If you already have a hydraulic Timber King, why would you even consider this one?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

B.C.C. Lapp

Well its an easily portable little mill.  Lt 40ies don't travel quite so well.   Also might use it for a resaw.  Might have wanted to set up a second sawing location. May have had an idea to flip it.   No doubt WB had a plan for it.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Machinebuilder

Ive seen several Woodmizers come up on marketplace in East TN
the prices seem unbelievably high to me

a LT15 for $11k
a Lt50 for $61K

the descriptions don't give enough info to justify the price compared to new

I'm not looking, my LT15 works well enough for me using it as a hobby.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

OlJarhead

LT40s don't travel well????

Better tell mine then  :D 8)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!