The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Logmaster edger blade source?  (Read 949 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Logmaster edger blade source?
« on: September 10, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
My buddy just got a Logmaster edger a few months ago and finally has it (the engine and drives) tweaked in and running fine. We ran just a couple of boards through it today and realized the blades are pretty shot. Best start off with new ones. It appears that Logmaster no longer supports these?
 Does anyone have a good source and recommendations for good general purpose blade for this machine. It's a bear of a machine and looks like it will handle up to 8/4 material, perhaps more. I haven't gotten into it much yet. Also wondering about a manual source.
 Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Logmaster edger blade source?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:16:51 PM »
Tom,
Check some saw blade supply business that sell bands and circle saw stuff.
They usually sell edger blades. You will just need the size and arbor diameter. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:43:09 PM »
Yeah Bruno, we haven't pulled one yet to get all the details off the blades. I guess that is next because my general searches turned up nothing and I can't find a manual either. That diesel runs a lot of HP and this thing will fly through but the blades are just shot and producing very poor results. Time to pull the covers and pull a blade and get some measurements. They look like about 12", but I need to know more than that of course.
 Whom do you use for your blades?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 03:02:26 AM »
There will be somebody local who sharpens and re-tips that can get you edger blades. If they are not split blades now would be the time to see about changing over.

Be prepared for sticker shock as they are quite proud of edger blades. If you use the machine much you really need 2-3 sets.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:42:23 AM »
I get my edger blades from The Sharp Tool Co. INC 978-568-9292. Give them a call and they will ask all the right questions. Just make sure you have a blade in your hand and something to measure accurately with.  Get the split blades if at all possible.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 07:40:25 AM »
Well I spent 1/2 hour going through the sharp tool web pages and could not find a single split blade listed. Also nothing called and 'edger blade' could be found. Perhaps they use a different term such as lumber sizing or something. I don't have a blade here to measure. I'll have to go down and pull a blade and make a drawing, then start calling around. 
 The guy that does local re-sharpening I do not believe does re-tipping but we can check that. You also made me think of another saw house that is about an hour from here. I should check them too as soon as I can recall the name. ;D

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »
Well I finally located the thread I was originally looking for HERE and that gave me a lot of info. I remember the conversation but this was LONG before I would ever be messing around with edgers. I just thought they were cool. That thread gave me a lot of info to get me going and as soon as I get the dimensions I will contact either Cooks or Sharp and see what we can come up with. @YellowHammer , how are those new blades working out for you? still using them? I think we will look for a higher tooth count based on what I read from the other edger owners here.
 For what they are and what it takes to make these blades I don't think they are overly expensive. Before I retired I was buying metal cutting cold saw blades for slugging bar stock and those ran $300-800 each and we had a dozen in rotation. By comparison, these are cheap. :D

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »
The split blades are also called Strobe blades if that word shows up in a catalog.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:19:02 AM »
You best have a SGU.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Wftmwd

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »
I have a logmaster edger as well. I spoke with logmaster about these blades and had some built by the original blade manufacturer. The blades are an oddball size at 13 or 13.25 inch or some mess. Other shops can build the blades for you as well. The business is southern carbide in Shreveport la. They have the plans on file already and can have you new blades made in a few weeks.
Southern carbide
4115 Curtis Ln, Shreveport, LA 71109
+1 318-631-7388

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »
Well thank you very much Wftmwd! What a unique way to enter the forum with your first post providing something useful and accurate right off the bat. I believe that is the first time I have seen such.  I may just give them a call Monday, but it sounds like these blades are a different size. What model is your edger? The one I am working on is a LM E 26D I believe. It has a 23 HP Perkins diesel. The blade diameter I will give later because I think I mis-measured, but it's either 14 or 15" on the mark.
I did go down this morning and after failing miserably trying to get the fixed blade off, I managed to get off the floating blade and get dimensions. I thought I got them all but I forgot the blade thickness and the cutter width.
I did call some of the companies I found that make blades, but nobody is open on Saturday. It's a little more difficult because there is no cell coverage for a few miles around where the mill and the edger are, not is there any internet. I can make a phone call, but not while standing at any given machine, only from the shop or house.
I appreciate all the info offered above and will let you know how we make out. I know we should have little trouble finding blades and I have a semi local house that can make blades and I have done business with before. They also provide pick up and drop off sharpening service, so that is appealing.
My concern right now is that I think there is little chance of getting my hands on a manual from what I can see. I like to know what the builders had in mind, look at assembly drawings and see how it was put together originally before previous owners made "improvements". Right now the drive belt path seems suspect to me and may have been modified.
I am going to run back there and do the 4 miles loop and get the missing dimensions and double check the diameter. Might as well collect some eggs while I am there and fill a growler with hard cider he is trying to get rid of. ;D I try to be helpful. :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »
OK, I just got back from re-checking my measurements and adding the ones I missed, as well as picking up a growler of hard cider and handing up the odd board or two to the crew trying to get the shop roof done. Heres the specs for the blades on that saw:
 Diameter = 15"
 Bore = 3.0"
 teeth= 12 (would like to go to 16)
 Mounting bolts are 1/2" diameter x 4 equally spaced on a 4.500" diameter Bolt circle.
 Kerf = .162
 blade thickness= .114
 Other stuff: The shaft is 2" diameter with 2 1/2 square keyways (one for each blade).
Monday morning I'll start making calls. Thanks again everybody and if anyone has a line on a manual, please let me know. ;D

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:04 PM »
I love the blades, they are working well.  They get a lot of use, still going strong.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 07:21:46 AM »
That is a regular split strobe edger blade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 08:01:25 AM »
Well I know WHAT it is, the problem for now seems to be WHERE to get it. :D From the research I can do over the weekend it appears that 15" is kind of odd. It's larger than most standard blades. Also, these blades don't have the wipers inside the saw face and I think we would get a better finish with those wipers.
 I'll start making calls tomorrow morning and see what I can find. We may bring these to a local guy for re-tipping but I would want to check them for flatness first. There are indictors that tell me something may be off (warped). It's a nice machine with a lot of umpf, slowly we are getting things tweaked and fixed up. Once we get blades on order we will look into making a new dog for the floating blade, it has a lot of (too much) slop in it to hold the size where it is set. Another reason I am looking for a manual to see what the parts are supposed to look like.

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »
try smith sawmill services in timpson  texas

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • whidbeysawmill.comwww.whidbeysawmill.com
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 02:06:42 AM »

when you do find some split/strobe type blades that will fit your edger having the long carbide on each half is really important cleaning up the edges from tear out. 
Also you can see that the corners are rounded or eased a bit in first picture, helps fitting the arbor easier. 
We have four sets now probably two too many but I had major problems getting them sharpened until we had a sandwich plate machined so our local sharpening business could treat blade as a solid saw blade with a 1" arbor hole.
We're on 3rd sharpening and they last alot longer than they did when I received them new.
These are 14" from Cooks that go on our Cooks edger.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:28 AM »
The place I recommended designed a specialty blade for me over the phone in about 30 minutes. He had his CAD running, asked me to make some measurements with a caliper of a standard Baker strobe blade to get the basic blade geometry, then he started making adjustments for my needs.  He changed the plate thickness, tooth count, and even the angle and sent the file to their manufacturing group, took my credit card number over the phone and that was it,

Rememberer that my edger was a prototype, first run for a custom Baker edger, and even Baker didnt have the blade it really needed.  Presto, next thing I knew, I had a couple prototypes blades, and they work great.  The company has since picked them up as stock numbers, so when I need more, I just refer to that number.  Too easy.    

I mentioned them to Jake, and he got them to build a specialty blade for his WM edger, a split blade for an edger that didnt take split blades.  Excellent idea.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
Well YH I have gotten a ton of great and useful advice here and when I finally found your thread (which gave me my initial introduction to these blades in the first place, 2 years ago), I re-read the whole thing. I am waiting for business hours to commence in the various time zones today so I can start making phone calls. My only quandary now is who to start with. :D
 This Log Master is a really well built machine, very heavy, but unfortunately lived outdoors it's whole life, so there is a bunch of rust. The company has removed any technical references for their web pages for this machine and just has a couple of references they missed. No parts or anything available that I can see, and I really want the manual. ;D
 I can't say at this point who I will wind up with, but it's not my machine and I just want to owner to have it easy going forward because he 'doesn't do internet'. He needs a part number and a phone number, money he has, time he doesn't.
 Do you mind if I ask what the ballpark price was on those blades? Not that it is a sticking point. He knows it won't be cheap and doesn't care, he just wants the machine running properly. My next step with him is to fix that floating blade dog to remove the slop, then I will try to work on him letting me fit some lasers to it, like yours. He is not grasping the concept quite yet so I need to sit him down and show him your video.
 Thanks for all your help, you are the one that got me started on this when I saw his problem I recalled your thread and said to him "why don't you just let me take care of that for you?" I didn't have to twist his arm.

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »
The blades were about $110 (last time I bought them) which was actually less than the Baker edger blades.  I hope you can get it right and tight again.  A well running edger is an indispensable piece of equipment, because it can run dry wood as well as green.  
YellowHammerisms:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Logmaster LM2, ZL16F Wheel loader, and Miners edger

Started by Grizzly on For Sale

26 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 10:41:30 PM
by Grizzly
xx
Blade Tension on LogMaster LM1

Started by BlueSalt on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 08:28:38 AM
by Solomon