iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits vs., Poutine, a serious discussion sought.

Started by Old Greenhorn, December 26, 2021, 09:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

When I was a kid, they fed Cream of Wheat to either sick folks or babies- meaning that group that had no teeth.
Being that I still eat cold cereals for breakfast, it never gets considered. When I worked grocery stores it was one of the cereal grain products that got buggy on the shelf. My point is that at least the bugs(moths) liked it.

Maybe if the cook got creative as happens with grits, it could be a dish of merit? One of my fave grits concoctions is in the low country where they add seafood this and that plus peppers and onions and serve you a big bowl full of grits with pizazz. 
Cheesy grits, baked as a casserole is the ONLY grits we eat at my house and we love it. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SawyerTed

Low country South Carolina Shrimp and Grits is an example of a dish originally made by the poor folks in in that area that has been "elevated" to a gourmet dish.  Shrimp were easily caught, grits were cheap and bits of bacon or sausage was a way to stretch those meats.  I like shrimp and grits a lot!  The very best shrimp and grits I've ever had was in the restaurant at Hill's Landing on the Diversion Canal between Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie.  

The restaurant there is also a tackle shop and marina store.  It has been there seems like forever.  The place is a bit like a traveling back in time 50 years.  The cook at the time was a Gullah native of the area.  The shrimp and grits were nothing special to look at but tasted wonderful!  There were of course the shrimp and grits along with onion, peppers and andouille sausage, bacon and country ham.  I got to talk with the cook for a few minutes and she was a happy grandmotherly type lady who was quick to laugh and smile. 

I've been back since and unfortunately the grand Gullah lady had gone to cook elsewhere.  The shrimp and grits are good but nothing like what that first cook I met made.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

snobdds

My mom was a vegetarian and my dad traveled a couple of time a month for work growing up.  When he left, my mom made us cream of wheat and soft boiled eggs.  She would put honey and fruit in our cream of wheat. It was so good and a fond childhood memory.  I still like it to this day.

Raider Bill

Savanah, ga. This time last year.
Some restaurant on the river walk.
Shrimp and grits. DELISH even for a Yankee!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

aigheadish

Tails still on the shrimp, huh, Raider? Sounds like an adventure! 

Maybe folk eat right through them?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kantuckid

Quote from: snobdds on December 30, 2021, 12:21:56 PM
My mom was a vegetarian and my dad traveled a couple of time a month for work growing up.  When he left, my mom made us cream of wheat and soft boiled eggs.  She would put honey and fruit in our cream of wheat. It was so good and a fond childhood memory.  I still like it to this day.
My dad was a red meat every day guy. When he traveled we dived into seafood and much more as it was our only chance. Cream of wheat is somewhat like grits in that it takes on the flavors you add, Even taters are that way some-my wife's fried potatoes have "the touch" that a great cook adds to food. Onions, tad of bacon grease, etc.. Soft boiled/poached eggs I'll pass on. 

Raider Bill

Quote from: aigheadish on December 30, 2021, 01:13:58 PM
Tails still on the shrimp, huh, Raider? Sounds like an adventure!

Maybe folk eat right through them?
The fancy places do that so you know they are real shrimps. 

Raider Bill

had this yesterday at the beach. fries, cheese curds, shrimp, beer cheese, wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.
called it florida poutine.

aigheadish

Normally I'm a no thanks to Poutine, but I'm a yes please to Florida Poutine, that looks great!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

samandothers

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 10, 2022, 10:39:29 AM
had this yesterday at the beach. fries, cheese curds, shrimp, beer cheese, wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.
called it florida poutine.
I could feel my arteries hardening just reading that description!   Does sound good and those shrimp and grits, oh man!  food1

kantuckid

OP asked for a serious discussion-here you go! 

In a heart to heart :D December discussion with my new cardiologist, we were looking at the recent blood test results from my new statin I've been taking, meaning cholesterol numbers.

As a person who has always had what's thought of as very low cholesterol (LDL), me the non-medical trained idiot, who needed to listen, not talk, said I've always had low LDL, blah, blah. 

HDL is, of course tough to raise and that's what he was trying for. FWIW, my HDL runs around 39-40.

He looks me in the eye and says, " for you, as a person WITH heart disease, there is no such thing as "low cholesterol"". 

That said, I to love cheese. FL poutine, pizza, so on won't cut it if I like living longer. 

K-Guy

I haven't tried grits before but I do like corn, so I think I might like it but I'm from western Canada and as far as I'm concerned poutine is muck! To quote British friends.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!